APOD: A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star (2020 Mar 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star (2020 Mar 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 am

Image A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star

Explanation: What happens to a star that goes near a black hole? If the star directly impacts a massive black hole, then the star falls in completely -- and everything vanishes. More likely, though, the star goes close enough to have the black hole's gravity pull away the outer layers of the star, or disrupt the star. Then most of the star's gas does not fall into the black hole. These stellar tidal disruption events can be as bright as a supernova, and an increasing amount of them are being discovered by automated sky surveys. In the featured artist's illustration, a star has just passed a massive black hole and sheds gas that continues to orbit. The inner edge of a disk of gas and dust surrounding the black hole is heated by the disruption event and may glow long after the star is gone.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Re: APOD: A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star (2020 Mar 24)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 am

In my opinion, artists renditions should be banned from this site and every other scientific publication that seeks to be legitimate. These are pure fantasy. They have no business on a scientific web site. Journals do it too. It's common in Science and Nature. Shameful.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 am

I wonder about the large gap of undisturbed sky between the black hole and the seemingly serenely orbiting puffs of gas and dust that encircle it.

Ann
Color Commentator

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:42 am

Guest wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 am In my opinion, artists renditions should be banned from this site and every other scientific publication that seeks to be legitimate. These are pure fantasy. They have no business on a scientific web site. Journals do it too. It's common in Science and Nature. Shameful.
They're informed by reality, physical simulations, and scientific understanding as we know it, not pure fantasy. And there is a good enough argument for making them look obviously like illustrations: when they look too realistic, people get confused and think that they are real data. They're plenty useful, unlike your opinion.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Alex_515

Post by Alex_515 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:38 am

Hi,

What is the dark disk of dust perpendicular to the orange color around the black hole shown in this illustration ? Is it related to the falling star or does it represent older material orbiting ?

Thanks,

Alex

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:08 am

I like the At picture; even though it is not a photo! I think it very pretty! It would
probably be highly improbable to photograph the real thing!
BhShredder_NASA_1080.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 am I wonder about the large gap of undisturbed sky between the black hole and the seemingly serenely orbiting puffs of gas and dust that encircle it.

Ann
I think the (common) dust and gas are "smart enough" to keep clear of the Black Hole, but the "celebrity" (star) isn't.
B^)

https://genius.com/Boy-meets-girl-waiti ... all-lyrics

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:11 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 am I wonder about the large gap of undisturbed sky between the black hole and the seemingly serenely orbiting puffs of gas and dust that encircle it.

Ann
I think the (common) dust and gas are "smart enough" to keep clear of the Black Hole, but the "celebrity" (star) isn't.
B^)

Smart interstellar dust bunnies. I like it. :wink:

Perhaps the dust bunnies know that the "love" that the black hole feels for them would be too... all-consuming, maybe? :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Smart interstellar dust bunnies. I like it. :wink:

Perhaps the dust bunnies know that the "love" that the black hole feels for them would be too... all-consuming, maybe? :wink:
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:15 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Smart interstellar dust bunnies. I like it.

Love that video, Art! Alice in Wonderland has never made more sense! :D 😄 :lol2:

Ann

P.S. I hope Alice can find a "drink me-bottle" that returns her to her original size, because otherwise she will be "reduced" to socializing with her cat and har sister by tunnelling through them!!! 😲
Last edited by Ann on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Spif
Ensign

Post by Spif » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:57 am

Would be an amazing thing to see... if only we could survive the radiation.

There probably needs to be some blazing jets blasting out of the magnetic poles of that BH.