APOD: Venus and the Pleiades in April (2020 Apr 02)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Venus and the Pleiades in April (2020 Apr 02)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:05 am

Image Venus and the Pleiades in April

Explanation: Venus is currently the brilliant evening star. Shared around world, in tonight's sky Venus will begin to wander across the face of the lovely Pleiades star cluster. This digital sky map illustrates the path of the inner planet as the beautiful conjunction evolves, showing its position on the sky over the next few days. The field of view shown is appropriate for binocular equipped skygazers but the star cluster and planet are easily seen with the naked-eye. As viewed from our fair planet, Venus passed in front of the stars of the Seven Sisters 8 years ago, and will again 8 years hence. In fact, orbiting the Sun 13 Venus years are almost equal to 8 years on planet Earth. So we can expect our sister planet to visit nearly the same place in our sky every 8 years.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

S&T: The Pleiades Embrace Venus

Post by bystander » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:15 am

The Pleiades Embrace Venus
Sky & Telescope | 2020 Apr 01
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

GeoXXX

Re: APOD: Venus and the Pleiades in April (2020 Apr 02)

Post by GeoXXX » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:19 am

“ In fact, orbiting the Sun 13 Venus years are almost equal to 8 years on planet Earth. So we can expect our sister planet to visit nearly the same place in our sky every 8 years.”

Or about every 13 Venus days! :P

Eric

Holger Nielsen
Ensign

Post by Holger Nielsen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 am

To the upper left one can see six regularly placed dots. I have tried to simulate the view with Starry Night software, but nothing showed up. What could it be?
Holger

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:45 am

The Pleiades are gearing up, for this frightening invasion by a planet! All stars on deck! (Oops, that was yesterday!)

Eric
Ensign

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Otto, thanks for the heads-up and the excellent graphic! But here the Pleiades are being invaded by a much smaller interloper as well: the dreaded 21-st-century inappropriate hyphen! :shock: "naked eye" does not want a hyphen here, only when used as a compound adjective: "naked-eye observation".

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Holger Nielsen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 am To the upper left one can see six regularly placed dots. I have tried to simulate the view with Starry Night software, but nothing showed up. What could it be?
Holger
Probably an asteroid or comet in the database of the program used to create the image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Venus-Pleiades2020-1.jpg
Venus; ✨ The temporary sister! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:02 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Venus; ✨ The temporary sister! :mrgreen:
  • King Lear : Act I, scene V
Fool: The reason why the seven stars are no more than seven is a pretty reason.

KING LEAR: Because they are not eight?

Fool: Yes, indeed: thou wouldst make a good fool.
Art Neuendorffer

wallyware

Post by wallyware » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:08 am

I looked at this tonight with a small reflector - it was beautiful. Venus was almost too bright.

GeoXXXX

Post by GeoXXXX » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:48 am

Holger Nielsen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 am To the upper left one can see six regularly placed dots. I have tried to simulate the view with Starry Night software, but nothing showed up. What could it be?
Holger
Using SkySafari (which I think was used to put this together) I believe it is the plot of the asteroid (578) Happelia which happened to be in the line of sight when stacking the plot of Venus.
(578) Happelia is a 15th magnitude Asteroid appearing in the constellation Taurus. It orbits the sun every 4.6 years at an average distance of 2.8 AU. It is a main belt asteroid which orbits the Sun between Mars and Jupiter.
It is roughly 69 kilometers across.
Eric

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Happely ever after

Post by neufer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:13 pm

GeoXXXX wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:48 am
Holger Nielsen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 am
To the upper left one can see six regularly placed dots. I have tried to simulate the view with Starry Night software, but nothing showed up. What could it be?
Using SkySafari (which I think was used to put this together) I believe it is the plot of the asteroid (578) Happelia which happened to be in the line of sight when stacking the plot of Venus.
(578) Happelia is a 15th magnitude Asteroid appearing in the constellation Taurus. It orbits the sun every 4.6 years at an average distance of 2.8 AU. It is a main belt asteroid which orbits the Sun between Mars and Jupiter.
It is roughly 69 kilometers across.
https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-540-29925-7_579 wrote:
(578) Happelia : Discovered 1905 Nov. 1 by M. F. Wolf at Heidelberg.

Named in honor of Carl Happel (1820–1914), painter and great benefactor to the Heidelberg Observatory.

On 24 February 2017 a possible small 3-kilometer moon was found orbiting the asteroid, based on occultation observations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg-K%C3%B6nigstuhl_State_Observatory wrote:
<<Heidelberg-Königstuhl State Observatory (German: Landessternwarte Heidelberg-Königstuhl) is a historic astronomical observatory located near the summit of the Königstuhl hill in the city of Heidelberg in Germany. The predecessor of the current observatory was originally opened in 1774 in the nearby city of Mannheim but degradation of observational conditions there resulted in a relocation to the Königstuhl in 1898.

The main field of activity of the observatory was the investigation of nebulae and the search for asteroids. Max Wolf, his staff and his successors discovered over 800 asteroids, including the first trojan asteroid Achilles in 1906. Between 1912 and 1957 Karl Wilhelm Reinmuth discovered almost 400 asteroids from the Heidelberg-Königstuhl State Observatory.>>
Art Neuendorffer