APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2020 Jun 14)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2020 Jun 14)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 am

Image Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth

Explanation: What are these humans doing? Dancing. Many humans on Earth exhibit periods of happiness, and one method of displaying happiness is dancing. Happiness and dancing transcend national boundaries and occur in practically every human society. Above, Matt Harding traveled through many nations on Earth, planned on dancing, and filmed the result. The featured video, one in a series of similar videos, is perhaps a dramatic example that humans from all over planet Earth feel a common bond as part of a single species. Happiness is frequently contagious -- few people are able to watch the featured video without smiling.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD: Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth (2020 Jun 14)

Post by bystander » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 am

Matt Confesses: Where the Hell is Matt? Video an 'Elaborate Hoax'

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Tom Roberts

Post by Tom Roberts » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:41 am

Dear Editors

I am a huge fan of APOD. It's is the invariably the first site I open every morning. I have learned so much about the Universe through viewing your site, although all too frequently you run boring pictures of the Milky Way seen within an Earth landscape, but that is tolerable given there is so much else of real interest.

But this morning post was not only thoroughly ridiculous... no, it was downright stupid and frankly shocking. We all know the contribution NASA scientists have made to alert humankind to the existential threat of climate warming. It is something you can be proud of, but giving some complete fool who has traveled the world creating a massive carbon footprint to prove the completely obvious is just unacceptable and irresponsible. You may be surprised to know that all humans sleep everyday in all cultures, they also defecate, sing, chat, gossip, eat various kinds of food, use fire as well as electronic equipment, read books and magazines (although not everywhere), generally pair up to procreate and the females have a small number of children which they take many years to raise, usually in families. The list of what all humans do everyday across the world is much longer but I don't have days to write all these obvious things everyone in the world already seems to know except you.

The USA is a world leader in climate destruction - from the President to the average car driver. I can now see why?

Very sincerely and sadly yours. Tom Roberts

Alex515

Post by Alex515 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:05 am

Hello,

For sure, APOD readers love happiness. But I think this one is more appropriate to APOD readers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mUlo9kb8Ig

Cheers,

Alex

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 am

What a pleasant surprise today! Very relaxing, and gives human meaning to a sterile universe. The surface of that one planet, Earth, gives us far more than any other space in the universe, doesn't it! But! one sad note about today's great APOD: it reminds us of some of our loss with social distancing, doesn't it!!!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 am

heehaw wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:37 am What a pleasant surprise today! Very relaxing, and gives human meaning to a sterile universe. The surface of that one planet, Earth, gives us far more than any other space in the universe, doesn't it! But! one sad note about today's great APOD: it reminds us of some of our loss with social distancing, doesn't it!!!
:thumb_up:

Ann
Color Commentator

Pingouin

Post by Pingouin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am

So what's cooking for tomorrow: a TikTok video of someone dressing their cat as Spiderman to desperately get attention, or something actually educational?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 am

You have got to love this guy because he is nuts! The world needs more people with his attitude! :lol2: 💃🏼🥰
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

CamR

Post by CamR » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:21 pm

Thanks, this was cool deviation from the norm. Yes, it is contagious. Stuff the haters.

Jd3

Post by Jd3 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:25 pm

@Tom Roberts
You sound like a fun guy. Bet you are a riot at parties.

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I was surprised that this was the APOD, but I remember this video when it first was making the rounds and it does make me smile. Nothing wrong with that. There are far too many who seem to prefer to be miserable. :)

Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:04 pm

On July 25, 2010, I was feeling pretty down, so I turned to APOD- looking at images of far-away worlds usually cheers me up. On that day, there was a link to this same video, and it produced the same effect in me then, as it does now: it cheers me up and helps restore my faith in humanity.

Is it about globular clusters, dark matter, or images of black holes? No. is it about the wonder of what makes us all human? Yes.

Above all, it brings joy. I'll forgive the editors for straying a little far from their basic mandate once every 10 years.

Thanks for all the wondrous images you share with us. :D

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Estas imágenes traen opiniones dispares, cada quien tiene la libertad de expresar sus pensamientos respetando a los demás, cada uno tiene sus preferencias y las declama, pero si trata de imponerla es tiranía. Si al despertar no nos gusta el amanecer, volvamos a dormir que mañana volverá a salir el Sol “a mi leal saber y entender”
(Si desean conocer lo que es danza y alegría vengan a Sudamérica en época de carnavales a Brasil, Uruguay, Argentina, en ese orden y no volverán si haber bailado)

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:59 pm

sorry These images bring disparate opinions, everyone has the freedom to express their thoughts respecting others, everyone has their preferences and make them known, but if he tries to impose them, it is tyranny. If when we wake up we do not like the sunrise, let us go back to sleep that tomorrow the Sun will rise again "to the best of my knowledge"
(If you want to know what dance and joy is, come to South America during carnival time in Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, in that order and will not return if you have danced)

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:07 pm

https://www.etymonline.com/word/dance wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
dance (v.): c. 1300, dauncen, "move the body or feet rhythmically to music," from Old French dancier (12c., Modern French danser), which is of unknown origin, perhaps from Low Frankish *dintjan and akin to Old Frisian dintje "tremble, quiver." Through French influence in arts and society, it has become the primary word for this activity from Spain to Russia (Italian danzare, Spanish danzar, Romanian dansa, Swedish dansa, German tanzen).

In part the loanword from French is used mainly with reference to fashionable dancing while the older native word persists in use with reference to folk-dancing, as definitively Russ. pljasat' vs. tancovat'. In English it replaced Old English sealtian, itself a borrowing from Latin saltare "to dance," frequentative of salire "to leap" (see salient (adj.); "dance" words frequently are derived from words meaning "jump, leap"). Native words used for the activity in Old English included tumbian (see tumble (v.)), hoppian(see hop (v.1)). Meaning "to leap or spring with regular or irregular steps as an expression of some emotion" is from late 14c. Of inanimate things, "move nimbly or quickly with irregular motion," 1560s. Transitive sense of "give a dancing motion to" is from c. 1500. To dance attendance "strive to please and gain favor by obsequiousness" is from late 15c.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Cormac
Asternaut

Post by Cormac » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Cute video, I guess. But what does this have to do with Astronomy? As someone else said, what's next, some insipid TikTok video?

joe struppachincowski

Post by joe struppachincowski » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Agreed this video doesnt even belong on tv with all the stupid ads it sure is out of place here..
Tom Roberts wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:41 am Dear Editors

I am a huge fan of APOD. It's is the invariably the first site I open every morning. I have learned so much about the Universe through viewing your site, although all too frequently you run boring pictures of the Milky Way seen within an Earth landscape, but that is tolerable given there is so much else of real interest.

But this morning post was not only thoroughly ridiculous... no, it was downright stupid and frankly shocking. We all know the contribution NASA scientists have made to alert humankind to the existential threat of climate warming. It is something you can be proud of, but giving some complete fool who has traveled the world creating a massive carbon footprint to prove the completely obvious is just unacceptable and irresponsible. You may be surprised to know that all humans sleep everyday in all cultures, they also defecate, sing, chat, gossip, eat various kinds of food, use fire as well as electronic equipment, read books and magazines (although not everywhere), generally pair up to procreate and the females have a small number of children which they take many years to raise, usually in families. The list of what all humans do everyday across the world is much longer but I don't have days to write all these obvious things everyone in the world already seems to know except you.

The USA is a world leader in climate destruction - from the President to the average car driver. I can now see why?

Very sincerely and sadly yours. Tom Roberts

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:04 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 am Image Happy People Dancing on Planet Earth

Explanation: What are these humans doing? Dancing. Many humans on Earth exhibit periods of happiness, and one method of displaying happiness is dancing. Happiness and dancing transcend national boundaries and occur in practically every human society. Above, Matt Harding traveled through many nations on Earth, planned on dancing, and filmed the result. The featured video, one in a series of similar videos, is perhaps a dramatic example that humans from all over planet Earth feel a common bond as part of a single species. Happiness is frequently contagious -- few people are able to watch the featured video without smiling.
I'm as fun loving a guy as the next bloke, but I'd be smiling a lot more if this video was better than manned moon landing quality and had at least something to do with astronomy. Ok, I guess Earth is at least mentioned in passing.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Mike Smith Reynolds

Post by Mike Smith Reynolds » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Could our poster have been trying to show a correlation between happy humas dancing around the earth and happy galaxys dancing around the universe?
That's the only reason I can see for its posting this though it gave no explanation to allude to this..

Enheduanna
Asternaut

Post by Enheduanna » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Love the doggie photobomb at the end in Seattle.

shaileshs
Ensign

Post by shaileshs » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Pingouin wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 am So what's cooking for tomorrow: a TikTok video of someone dressing their cat as Spiderman to desperately get attention, or something actually educational?
LoL.. So true! You captured thoughts (and disappointment/irritation) in my mind. Seriously, I have been huge fan of APOD for last 10 years, I have been socializing it to tons, and here we are with "YouTube/FB level/liking" video.. So sad. I expect better from APOD publishers..

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Ooooooh! My favorite!!!!! :wink: :lol2: :lol2:
Forget the box, just get outside.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Never on a Sunday: that's rest day for APOD! You want a new APOD/ Come back tomorrow! :mrgreen:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... bd21646dff
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Oh how many people protest! During a day that APOD did not edit an image and now for a video, the first time 50% lost interest, now 25%. And good! It is better that they leave rather than continue to pester here, of course, with all due respect.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:57 pm Oh how many people protest! During a day that APOD did not edit an image and now for a video, the first time 50% lost interest, now 25%. And good! It is better that they leave rather than continue to pester here, of course, with all due respect.
Agreed. I never liked this video in the first place. Didn't like it as an APOD. So what? There are lots of APODs I don't like... APODs of actual astronomical objects where I don't like the processing, or don't like the lack of processing details. Fine. There's a new one each day. If I don't like today's, I'll wait for tomorrow. It's not the end of the world. It's not even a hiccup.

One great APOD makes up for dozens of ones that don't ring my chimes.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com