APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2020 Jun 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2020 Jun 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:06 am

Image Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1

Explanation: What are those spots on Jupiter? Largest and furthest, just right of center, is the Great Red Spot -- a huge storm system that has been raging on Jupiter possibly since Giovanni Cassini's likely notation of it 355 years ago. It is not yet known why this Great Spot is red. The spot toward the lower left is one of Jupiter's largest moons: Europa. Images from Voyager in 1979 bolster the modern hypothesis that Europa has an underground ocean and is therefore a good place to look for extraterrestrial life. But what about the dark spot on the upper right? That is a shadow of another of Jupiter's large moons: Io. Voyager 1 discovered Io to be so volcanic that no impact craters could be found. Sixteen frames from Voyager 1's flyby of Jupiter in 1979 were recently reprocessed and merged to create the featured image. About 43 years ago, Voyager 1 launched from Earth and started one of the greatest explorations of the Solar System ever.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Europa and Jupiter from Voyager 1 (2020 Jun 28)

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:19 am

Today's APOD is a golden oldie, and a very good-looking one.

I remember how excited I was when Voyager 1 started sending home its pictures of Jupiter. They were glorious. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed at Voyager 1's pictures of Saturn. Saturn looked so bland compared with Jupiter, and I had my first ever experience of obvious false color. One of the Voyager 1 pictures of Saturn was wildly psychedelic, painted in stripes of green, cyan and purple.

I have preferred Jupiter over Saturn ever since. You see what color can do to a crazy color nerd like me.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 am

EuropaJupiter_Voyager_960.jpg
To me, the red spot on this photo looks like a hole opening deep into Jupiter!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:24 pm

We've spotted Europa!

Dioskur

Post by Dioskur » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 pm

This photo is weird. Look at the shadow on the moon - it's on the left side of it. Sunlight clearly comes from the right of this picture. So how come Europa's shadow on the Jupiter is being cast almost in the opposite direction?

Dioskur

Post by Dioskur » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Nevermind - it's stated that it's Io's shadow. I must've been still half-asleep when I read the description. I'm sorry for the commotion. :oops:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:19 am I remember how excited I was when Voyager 1 started sending home its pictures of Jupiter.
I was at Caltech at the time. No Internet as such back then, but they set up a private feed between JPL and Beckman Auditorium on campus, and projected the JPL monitors up onto a big screen. We were there to watch the very first images come in, unprocessed, slowly painting from top to bottom. Amazing, indeed!

(Curiously, I was actually working with the Viking project - Mars- at the time.)
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm

Dioskur wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:06 pm Nevermind - it's stated that it's Io's shadow. I must've been still half-asleep when I read the description. I'm sorry for the commotion. :oops:
FYI, you can edit your own posts to add corrections or clarifications!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm FYI, you can edit your own posts to add corrections or clarifications!
Not if your not a member.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:11 pm

https://www.space.com/26331-jupiter-galilean-moons-bright-eclipse.html wrote:

Surprise! Big Jupiter Moons Shine Even When Eclipsed
By Charles Q. Choi June 23, 2014

<<When eclipsed [by Jupiter], the luminosity of these moons was one-millionth to one-ten-millionth of their uneclipsed brightness — dim enough for the phenomenon to remain undetected until now, even though researchers have observed the Galilean moons in eclipse for centuries.

It remains uncertain what causes the slight brightening. However, Kohji Tsumura, an astronomer at Tohoku University in Japan, and his colleagues believe the upper part of Jupiter's atmosphere may be responsible. [Tsumura and his colleagues detailed their findings in the July 10 issue of The Astronomical Journal.]

Jupiter's clouds, which give the giant planet its striped appearance, grow from tiny particles called aerosols or hazes. Prior studies have hinted that these hazes form in the upper part of Jupiter's atmosphere. The researchers suggested that hazes in the upper atmosphere may scatter sunlight onto the Galilean satellites, illuminating them. This effect is similar to the one that causes Earth's moon to look red during a total lunar eclipse.

The new finding could help scientists analyze the hazes in Jupiter's atmosphere, which are otherwise difficult to study. By studying the spectrum of light from the eclipsed Jupiter moons, the researchers could learn about the compositions of the hazes, Tsumura said. In addition, this new method of studying Jupiter's upper atmosphere could help researchers investigate the atmospheres of exoplanets around distant stars. Exoplanets are often seen when they pass in front of their stars, and scientists can glean details about their atmospheres when starlight passes through them. "It is important to study sunlight transmitted through the atmospheres of the planets in our solar system for comparison with light through the atmospheres around the exoplanets," Tsumura said.>>
Art Neuendorffer

ta152h0
Schooled

Post by ta152h0 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Yesterday I saw, on a TY program, How the Universe Works, that the moon is possibly hollow. Is that still being looked at? pass the ice cold one.
Wolf Kotenberg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:56 pm

ta152h0 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:48 pm Yesterday I saw, on a TY program, How the Universe Works, that the moon is possibly hollow. Is that still being looked at? pass the ice cold one.
Most assuredly, the Moon is not hollow.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:57 pm

bystander wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm FYI, you can edit your own posts to add corrections or clarifications!
Not if your not a member.
I've noticed that quite a few post as guests quite often! You might as well become a member; it's a nice forum and the members are nice! Please join! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:03 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 am EuropaJupiter_Voyager_960.jpg
Maybe you're right!
Eli Galanti wrote:

Jupiter's Great Red Spot (GRS) is the most dominant and long-lived feature in Jupiter's atmosphere. However, whether this is a shallow atmospheric feature or a deeply rooted vortex has remained an open question. The recent gravity measurements, performed by the Juno mission, enabled the analysis of Jupiter's zonal flows that were found to penetrate to a depth of 3,000km below the cloud-level.
Ann
Color Commentator

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:33 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Ann wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:03 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Eli Galanti wrote:
Jupiter's Great Red Spot (GRS) is the most dominant and long-lived feature in Jupiter's atmosphere. However, whether this is a shallow atmospheric feature or a deeply rooted vortex has remained an open question. The recent gravity measurements, performed by the Juno mission, enabled the analysis of Jupiter's zonal flows that were found to penetrate to a depth of 3,000km below the cloud-level.
Art Neuendorffer

Rafa Ruiz
Asternaut

Post by Rafa Ruiz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:06 pm

When were these pictures taken by the probe?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:51 pm

Rafa Ruiz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:06 pm When were these pictures taken by the probe?
March 1979
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor