APOD: Our Rotating Earth (2020 Jul 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Our Rotating Earth (2020 Jul 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:06 am

[img]https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/calendar/S_200701.jpg[/img] Our Rotating Earth

Explanation: Has your world ever turned upside-down? It would happen every day if you stay fixed to the stars. Most time-lapse videos of the night sky show the stars and sky moving above a steady Earth. Here, however, the camera has been forced to rotate so that the stars remain fixed, and the Earth rotates around them. The movie, with each hour is compressed to a second, dramatically demonstrates the daily rotation of the Earth, called diurnal motion. The video begins by showing an open field in Namibia, Africa, on a clear day, last year. Shadows shift as the Earth turns, the shadow of the Earth rises into the sky, the Belt of Venus momentarily appears, and then day turns into night. The majestic band of our Milky Way Galaxy stretches across the night sky, while sunlight-reflecting, Earth-orbiting satellites zoom by. In the night sky, you can even spot the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. The video shows a sky visible from Earth's Southern Hemisphere, but a similar video could be made for every middle latitude on our blue planet.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

A vent

Re: APOD: Our Rotating Earth (2020 Jul 01)

Post by A vent » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:40 am

durak. It's all relitive. Speciba.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Math idiot that I am, I can't wrap my head around what I'm seeing in the APOD. My mind is telling me that I'm seeing the Earth rotating on its poles, not on its axis.

The Earth looks like a weird version of Uranus rotating like that.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 am

Ann wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 am Math idiot that I am, I can't wrap my head around what I'm seeing in the APOD. My mind is telling me that I'm seeing the Earth rotating on its poles, not on its axis.
???

Earth's axis passes through its poles. If it's rotating on its axis, it's also rotating on its poles.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:37 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:31 am
Ann wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:13 am Math idiot that I am, I can't wrap my head around what I'm seeing in the APOD. My mind is telling me that I'm seeing the Earth rotating on its poles, not on its axis.
???

Earth's axis passes through its poles. If it's rotating on its axis, it's also rotating on its poles.
Let's say I think it looks as if the Earth is turning somersaults instead of rotating "sideways".

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 am

Ann wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:37 am
???

Let's say I think it looks as if the Earth is turning somersaults instead of rotating "sideways".
Don't worry about the math, just try to visualize a couple of special cases. What if you were at the North Pole? Aim your camera at a star near the horizon, and what will happen over the course of a day? The star will stay on the horizon, right? Over 24 hours you'll follow it all the way around the horizon and back to where you started. So the angle of the horizon won't change, just what direction you're looking. Make sense? The movement is completely azimuthal.

Now suppose you're at the equator. Aim at a star on the eastern horizon, and you'll follow it straight up, across the zenith, and back down to the western horizon. For the other 12 hours you'll be aiming through the Earth, until after 24 hours you come back up to the eastern horizon again. Got that? The movement is only in altitude.

For intermediate latitudes, you're going to have a combination of azimuthal movement, and altitudal movement. That's what produces the tumbling effect.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 am
Ann wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:37 am

???

Don't worry about the math, just try to visualize a couple of special cases. What if you were at the North Pole? Aim your camera at a star near the horizon, and what will happen over the course of a day? The star will stay on the horizon, right? Over 24 hours you'll follow it all the way around the horizon and back to where you started. So the angle of the horizon won't change, just what direction you're looking. Make sense? The movement is completely azimuthal.

Now suppose you're at the equator. Aim at a star on the eastern horizon, and you'll follow it straight up, across the zenith, and back down to the western horizon. For the other 12 hours you'll be aiming through the Earth, until after 24 hours you come back up to the eastern horizon again. Got that? The movement is only in altitude.

For intermediate latitudes, you're going to have a combination of azimuthal movement, and altitudal movement. That's what produces the tumbling effect.
I get it... I think. Thanks for the explanation!

Ann
Color Commentator

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:28 am

Watched this on a 50 inch tv, almost hurled!
Wonderful video!

Eric

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:38 am

This is why I come to APOD, first thing every day! Occasionally, as today, there is something truly spectacular!
THANK YOU, APOD !

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:28 am

I don't believe the video is s true representation of the Earth's rotation! JMHO!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 pm

We live in a topsy-turvy world!

Thanks Chris for the explanation!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm

We are riding in a Ferris wheel car at the Prater amusement park.

The Earth is the Ferris wheel itself appearing to rotate around us.

The Universe is the Vienna bobbing around us but not rotating.
Art Neuendorffer

TheOtherBruce
Science Officer

Post by TheOtherBruce » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:51 pm

I need to be drunk enough to watch this and appreciate it properly. :shock: :wink:
This universe shipped by weight, not by volume.
Some expansion of the contents may have occurred during shipment.

fbivan

Post by fbivan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 pm

Like with the dancing people 2 thumbs down.

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:05 am

Awesome... interesting how the "flat part" rotates... hmmmmm....

:---[===] *

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 pm

this is the best APOD ever.

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:17 pm

heehaw wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 pmthis is the best APOD ever.
I still feel that way. We humans tend to be self-centered. Yet all this great APOD does is ask you to tie yourself to a telescope pointed generally toward the Magellanic clouds, and look....for days and days on end. Of course the Earth circles around you as it rotates every 24 hours. Now mind you, it is also circling the Sun, and THAT motion has NOT been taken out!
There are other motions too: our solar system is moving with respect to the center of our galaxy, and our galaxy is moving ... you get the picture! But those motions are very very slow on a human time scale; no need to take them out!
This whole APOD gives us a great perspective on our whiligig motion of Earth rotation, and is very educational indeed, even to a jaded professional astronomer. Yay APOD!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:21 pm

heehaw wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:17 pm
Yet all this great APOD does is ask you to tie yourself to a telescope pointed generally toward the Magellanic clouds, and look....for days and days on end.
To tie yourself telescope pointed generally
toward Sigma Octantis to be more precise.
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=untoward wrote:
untoward (adj.) 1520s, "not having inclination" (to or for something), also "difficult to manage, unruly," from un- (1) "not" + toward (adj.).
  • The Taming of the Shrew : Act IV, scene V

HORTENSIO: Well, Petruchio, this has put me in heart.
  • Have to my widow! and if she be froward,
    Then hast thou taught Hortensio to be untoward.
Art Neuendorffer