APOD: M43: Dust, Gas, and Stars in the... (2020 Jul 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: M43: Dust, Gas, and Stars in the... (2020 Jul 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:06 am

Image M43: Dust, Gas, and Stars in the Orion Nebula

Explanation: Unspeakable beauty and unimaginable bedlam can be found together in the Orion Nebula Arguably the most famous of all astronomy nebulas, the Great Nebula in Orion is an immense interstellar molecular cloud only 1500 light-years away. In the <a href=https://www.instagram.com/p/CBgUetMgoUb/>featured deep image</a> shown in assigned colors, the part of the nebula's center known as M43 is shown as taken by the Hubble Space Telescope. The Great Nebula in Orion can be found with the unaided eye near the easily identifiable belt of three stars in the popular constellation Orion. The entire Orion Nebula, including both M42 and M43 spans about 40 light years and is located in the same spiral arm of our Galaxy as the Sun.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: M43: Dust, Gas, and Stars in the... (2020 Jul 06)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 am

M43_HubbleGoff_960.jpg

Sort of looks like a man's head! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Excellent and unusual view of the Orion Nebula. The usual views are zoomed in to the bright core, but this shows the wider surrounding area very well.
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:47 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 am

Oh brothel! It's clearly a Young Lady's head of "unspeakable beauty":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Demoiselles_d%27Avignon wrote: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon (The Young Ladies of Avignon, originally titled The Brothel of Avignon) is a large oil painting created in 1907 by the Spanish artist Pablo Picasso. The work, part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, portrays five nude female prostitutes in a brothel on Carrer d'Avinyó (translated into Spanish: Calle de Aviñón [es]), a street in Barcelona. Each figure is depicted in a disconcerting confrontational manner and none is conventionally feminine. The women appear slightly menacing and are rendered with angular and disjointed body shapes. The figure on the left exhibits facial features and dress of Egyptian or southern Asian style. The two adjacent figures are shown in the Iberian style of Picasso's native Spain, while the two on the right are shown with African mask-like features. The racial primitivism evoked in these masks, according to Picasso, moved him to "liberate an utterly original artistic style of compelling, even savage force."
Art Neuendorffer

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm

He looks very Klingon to me.

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

I find a doctor with glasses and a nurse

Jerome68
Ensign

Post by Jerome68 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:02 pm

Every time I see this kind of image, I cannot stop thinking about the dimensions... see an entire Galaxy (huge per se), with millions of stars (stars, like our sun), saw so small and so far... I don't know, cannot describe how profound it looks like ... (sorry for being so corny on this comment, but I needed to share it :) )

TheZuke!
Science Officer

Post by TheZuke! » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm I find a doctor with glasses and a nurse
Glasses of what?
:b:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 pm
He looks very Klingon to me.
What is he; she clinging on to? :lol2:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 pm

TheZuke! wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:08 pm
Sa Ji Tario wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm I find a doctor with glasses and a nurse
Glasses of what?
:b:
Ah; yes; a glass of beer t'would be nice! 🍼 🍺 🍻
Orin

Boomer12k
:---[===] *

Post by Boomer12k » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:49 pm

I find it interesting, and a bit puzzling... there are swirls and round edges everywhere...but near the center..."in the pink"... is a VERY straight line... I assume of ionized gas or something...
When everything else is CURVED... why is that so very straight???
Any answer?

Thanks,

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:41 am

Orin, Zuke no glasses, frame lenses

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 am

Boomer12k wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:49 pm I find it interesting, and a bit puzzling... there are swirls and round edges everywhere...but near the center..."in the pink"... is a VERY straight line... I assume of ionized gas or something...
Any answer?

Thanks,

M43 with straight line and arrow.png
Orion Nebula with straight line and arrow.png
I assume you mean the straight red line in M43 that I have marked with an arrow.

I wish I knew why it is straight. Obviously it has to do with gaseous outflows, feedback, the density of the dust, the relative proportions of gas and dust and different elements, and the onslaught of ultraviolet photons. But what exactly it is that forms this particular straight line, I can't say.

Compare the picture of M43 with the picture of the Orion Nebula and M43. Note the strong straight line in the Orion Nebula. What causes it? Well... gaseous outflows, feedback, the density of the dust, the relative proportions of gas and dust and different elements, and the onslaught of ultraviolet photons?

Note the straight line in M43 in the picture of the Orion Nebula and M43.

Ann
Color Commentator

Jerome68
Ensign

Post by Jerome68 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:11 am

Imo, putting meaning to that line is the same as putting meaning to the shape of a cloud. There is a meaning for us because our brains are relating that shape with something, however, is just how the cloud is at that moment.

Knowing about the reason, it would be such a complex process, basically, because this is a perfect example of a chaotic system result, it means many factors and variables, influencing each other, in which a small change in the initial state it implies a huge output difference.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm

Jerome68 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:02 pm Every time I see this kind of image, I cannot stop thinking about the dimensions... see an entire Galaxy (huge per se), with millions of stars (stars, like our sun), saw so small and so far... I don't know, cannot describe how profound it looks like ... (sorry for being so corny on this comment, but I needed to share it :) )
No need to think you were being corny Jerome. Reading about the way this photo moved you personally was nice, thanks for sharing.

"thinking about the dimensions" Yeah, that's the way to start looking at such astro photos with insight, trying to see, not just how it looks, but what it really is ... Which means thinking about dimensions, and not just length and breadth but also depth, and even time.

Bruce
Just as zero is not equal to infinity, everything coming from nothing is illogical.

Jerome68
Ensign

Post by Jerome68 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the comment Bruce, it is very nice. And appreciate a lot feeling being understood, personally, I think I just love science and space. And cannot avoid getting moved when seeing some of these impressive pictures.

Boomer12k

Post by Boomer12k » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 am
Boomer12k wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:49 pm I find it interesting, and a bit puzzling... there are swirls and round edges everywhere...but near the center..."in the pink"... is a VERY straight line... I assume of ionized gas or something...
Any answer?

Thanks,

I assume you mean the straight red line in M43 that I have marked with an arrow.

I wish I knew why it is straight. Obviously it has to do with gaseous outflows, feedback, the density of the dust, the relative proportions of gas and dust and different elements, and the onslaught of ultraviolet photons. But what exactly it is that forms this particular straight line, I can't say.

Compare the picture of M43 with the picture of the Orion Nebula and M43. Note the strong straight line in the Orion Nebula. What causes it? Well... gaseous outflows, feedback, the density of the dust, the relative proportions of gas and dust and different elements, and the onslaught of ultraviolet photons?

Ann
Thank you Ann.... at least we can know some of the elements, if not the exact answer... it is also noted in both nebulae...I find it interesting to have the same type of striation... maybe a "bubble"...that ran into a more dense area, and flattened out against it with a "shock" ridge.

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down

Post by BDanielMayfield » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:54 am

Ann wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 am
Any answer?

Thanks,

Ann
Just another suggestion for the possible cause of a straight line effect: Might it be light from a bright but hidden star that is streaming through a gap in the dust clouds? Like light coming through and old stile keyhole?

Bruce