Please help me attach pictures without uploading them to my own computer first!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Please help me attach pictures without uploading them to my own computer first!

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am

To everyone who might be able to help, please help me!

I sometimes want to post images that are too big. Bystander has told me that I can post them as attachments instead.

The problem is, that works for me as long as I upload them to my own computer. When I upload them to my computer, they get a file name. I can then use their file names to upload them to Starship Asterisk*, using the Attachments function.

There are two problems here. I haven't figured out how to remove images that I have uploaded to my computer. I don't necessarily want to keep them all, and when I have too many of them, they slow down my computer. Most irritatingly, my computer will delete documents without any complaints, but it seems to lack a "Delete image" function.

That's why I hesitate to upload too many images to my computer.

And I just can't figure out how to add images as attachments if I haven't uploaded them to my own computer first. The problem, as I see it, is that the images don't have file names unless I have uploaded them to my computer.

Or do they? If so, how do I find their file names?

Please help! There's another problem here, of course, which is that most (but not all) of the instructions that my computer gives me are in Swedish. (I know. :roll: :facepalm:)

Anyway, does anyone know how I can attach images to posts in Starship Asterisk* without uploading them to my computer first? And can anyone explain it to me, step by step? (I wouldn't mind getting some tips on how to delete unwanted images from my computer, either.)

I would be very grateful!

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Please help me attach pictures without uploading them to my own computer first!

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am To everyone who might be able to help, please help me!

I sometimes want to post images that are too big. Bystander has told me that I can post them as attachments instead.

The problem is, that works for me as long as I upload them to my own computer. When I upload them to my computer, they get a file name. I can then use their file names to upload them to Starship Asterisk*, using the Attachments function.

There are two problems here. I haven't figured out how to remove images that I have uploaded to my computer. I don't necessarily want to keep them all, and when I have too many of them, they slow down my computer. Most irritatingly, my computer will delete documents without any complaints, but it seems to lack a "Delete image" function.

That's why I hesitate to upload too many images to my computer.

And I just can't figure out how to add images as attachments if I haven't uploaded them to my own computer first. The problem, as I see it, is that the images don't have file names unless I have uploaded them to my computer.

Or do they? If so, how do I find their file names?

Please help! There's another problem here, of course, which is that most (but not all) of the instructions that my computer gives me are in Swedish. (I know. :roll: :facepalm:)

Anyway, does anyone know how I can attach images to posts in Starship Asterisk* without uploading them to my computer first? And can anyone explain it to me, step by step? (I wouldn't mind getting some tips on how to delete unwanted images from my computer, either.)

I would be very grateful!

Ann
I'm not quite sure how you're doing things. If you have an image you want to work with that is displayed in your browser, you should be able to download it to your computer by right-clicking it and choosing "Save" or "Save as..." The former will usually save to your default downloads folder, the latter will let you choose where to save it (the specific options available depend on the browser). To upload that image to here, you just use the Attachments tab and select the file from whatever folder you downloaded it to. If you don't want to keep it, just delete it from that folder like you'd delete any file you don't want.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: Please help me attach pictures without uploading them to my own computer first!

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:30 pm

You can just use the image url as the file name and download them directly from the web.

For example, if I wanted to download the image from the 2020 Sep 17 APOD,
I would use <https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/2009/ig_maxmin.jpg> as the filename.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:17 am There are two problems here. I haven't figured out how to remove images that I have uploaded to my computer. I don't necessarily want to keep them all, and when I have too many of them, they slow down my computer. Most irritatingly, my computer will delete documents without any complaints, but it seems to lack a "Delete image" function.
An image is just another file, just select the image and hit the delete button.
— Garrison Keillor

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:18 pm

McAfee offers a shred button! highlight your file; right click; hit shred; gone for good!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:24 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:18 pm McAfee offers a shred button! highlight your file; right click; hit shred; gone for good!
I think she's more worried about file space. Shredding doesn't free up anymore file space.
— Garrison Keillor

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 pm

what kind of computer do you have that won't let you delete images?
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:55 pm
I'm not quite sure how you're doing things. If you have an image you want to work with that is displayed in your browser, you should be able to download it to your computer by right-clicking it and choosing "Save" or "Save as..." The former will usually save to your default downloads folder, the latter will let you choose where to save it (the specific options available depend on the browser). To upload that image to here, you just use the Attachments tab and select the file from whatever folder you downloaded it to. If you don't want to keep it, just delete it from that folder like you'd delete any file you don't want.
What 's a default download folder?

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Ann
It's the folder that files go into when you download them from your browser. Like when you download programs to install, or pictures you want to keep. What kind of computer do you have? What operating system? What browser do you use?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:22 pm

geckzilla wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 pm what kind of computer do you have that won't let you delete images?
I can't believe it, Geck. I just selected an image I had previously uploaded to my computer and right-clicked it. And lo and behold... I can't believe it... there is a "Delete" function.

I swear I've tried and tried many times before and never succeeded in removing images.

Or rather...now I remember... yes, maybe I could sort of delete images before. But the name of the deleted file remained, and if I searched for the file using its name, my computer could find it and restore it. As if it wasn't really deleted after all.

Well, I'll take heart in the idea that I can probably delete images now after all. And in that case, uploading more images to my computer isn't a problem.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:24 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Ann
It's the folder that files go into when you download them from your browser. Like when you download programs to install, or pictures you want to keep. What kind of computer do you have? What operating system? What browser do you use?
I have a big fat stationary computer. A Lenovo. My favorite operating system is Opera, unless that's my browser. I'm so horribly uninterested in these things!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Ann
It's the folder that files go into when you download them from your browser. Like when you download programs to install, or pictures you want to keep.
Okay, Chris, maybe I know what you mean. Do the images get file names in this folder? Maybe, like bystander said, they just keep their image addresses?

I'll try now, once again. Here goes, let's see if I can turn today's APOD into an attachment without uploading it to my computer....
Orion3Ddavison1024[1].jpg
WOW!!!! :shock: :D 🤩

I think I did it!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks for your help, everybody! 🌼💐🌸

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:50 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Ann
It's the folder that files go into when you download them from your browser. Like when you download programs to install, or pictures you want to keep.
Okay, Chris, maybe I know what you mean. Do the images get file names in this folder? Maybe, like bystander said, they just keep their image addresses?
Images are just files. They keep whatever filename they had from the download source. They don't have addresses. And you can delete them just like any file- select them and hit the delete key, or drag them into the trash.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory