APOD: Milky Way over the Pinnacles in... (2020 Oct 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Milky Way over the Pinnacles in... (2020 Oct 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:06 am

Image Milky Way over the Pinnacles in Australia

Explanation: What strange world is this? Earth. In the foreground of the featured image are the Pinnacles, unusual rock spires in Nambung National Park in Western Australia. Made of ancient sea shells (limestone), how these human-sized picturesque spires formed remains unknown. In the background, just past the end of the central Pinnacle, is a bright crescent Moon. The eerie glow around the Moon is mostly zodiacal light, sunlight reflected by dust grains orbiting between the planets in the Solar System. Arching across the top is the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy. Many famous stars and nebulas are also visible in the background night sky. The featured 29-panel panorama was taken and composed in 2015 September after detailed planning that involved the Moon, the rock spires, and their corresponding shadows. Even so, the strong zodiacal light was a pleasant surprise.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

scr33d
Ensign

Re: APOD: Milky Way over the Pinnacles in... (2020 Oct 11)

Post by scr33d » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:14 am

"Even so, the strong zodiacal light was a pleasant surprise. "
I have never seen the wedge-shaped zodiacal light with the moon present in the sky. Again, APOD is showing photoshopped, quasi-possible images for aesthetic, not astronomic.

madtom1999
Ensign

Post by madtom1999 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:05 am

"detailed planning" I would have just moved the tripod to the appropriate place!
One of my triggers is when people claim detailed planning went into neolithic monuments so the sun would shine down corridors on the winter solstice when all it really took was two sticks and getting up early on a couple of days.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 am

I think it's sad to see the angry criticism against this APOD.

It is a beautiful, striking and stunning image.

Ann
Color Commentator

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:05 am

I think it is the Covid, Ann.

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 am

Re astro pixs going for the dramatic instead of reality. Astronomers have always loved the artistic pictures. How many times have we seen a Hubble photo with the statement "false colors"? The pictures as seen by the human eye would not sell astronomy magazines. Even NASA gets in on manipulation. Remember the Curiosity self portrait? The camera that took the picture is mysteriously floating in mid air. I don't think NASA had sent a flying camera with Curiosity. Something in photoshop was going on. And about monuments attention to detail. Do you know that the Great Pyramid of Giza was perfectly aligned to north and east. It was only off by a hundredth of a degree or so. That takes more planning than just two sticks. There is a Mayan pyramid that has exactly 365 steps to the top, and it also has a shadow of a snake on the staircase that can only be seen on the Solstice. That requires much more astronomical observations.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Ann wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 am I think it's sad to see the angry criticism against this APOD.

It is a beautiful, striking and stunning image.

Ann
PinnaclesGalaxy_Goh_1080.jpg

I like it too Ann! It's a fantastic view!🤩 🌟 ✨
It'le iive in my wallpaper files :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 pm

De58te wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 am And about monuments attention to detail. Do you know that the Great Pyramid of Giza was perfectly aligned to north and east. It was only off by a hundredth of a degree or so. That takes more planning than just two sticks. There is a Mayan pyramid that has exactly 365 steps to the top, and it also has a shadow of a snake on the staircase that can only be seen on the Solstice. That requires much more astronomical observations.
Even if all it genuinely takes is two sticks, they have to know that there's something to be marked with those two sticks. That means enough astronomical observation to be aware of the existence of solstices and equinoxes. That's not necessarily obvious if you're not paying detailed attention. I would be willing to bet that if you asked a number of people now what the solstice and the equinox actually mean, many wouldn't know why the day is longer or shorter. I required my students to mark the position of the Sun at sunrise over the course of two months so that they could see the shift of location. Heck, I have students who are just finding out that the Moon shines with reflected light from the Sun and couldn't figure out how the Moon could be illuminated by the Sun when it was on the other side of the Earth, and these are college students. Even the Greeks in Antiquity with their geocentric universe understood how the Moon shone.

So I completely agree. This is not just about "two sticks and getting up early". It's about having enough astronomical knowledge to be aware of the need to get up early with your two sticks.

...oh, and besides that, the picture is beautiful, even if composed. :mrgreen:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:24 pm

De58te wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 am Do you know that the Great Pyramid of Giza was perfectly aligned to north and east. It was only off by a hundredth of a degree or so. That takes more planning than just two sticks.
The positioning of the Great Pyramid is accurate to about a tenth of a degree. It is not sufficiently preserved to determine more than that, as the smooth facing is long since lost. And it is very much possible to achieve that degree of precision with nothing but sticks and string. I did an experiment which demonstrated just that, and presented it at an archaeoastronomy section at an Egyptology conference some years back.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:04 pm

PinnaclesGalaxy_Goh_1080.jpg
this fts my screen! :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:21 pm

E Fish wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:10 pm
De58te wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 am
And about monuments attention to detail. Do you know that the Great Pyramid of Giza was perfectly aligned to north and east. It was only off by a hundredth of a degree or so. That takes more planning than just two sticks. There is a Mayan pyramid that has exactly 365 steps to the top, and it also has a shadow of a snake on the staircase that can only be seen on the Solstice. That requires much more astronomical observations.
Even if all it genuinely takes is two sticks, they have to know that there's something to be marked with those two sticks. That means enough astronomical observation to be aware of the existence of solstices and equinoxes. That's not necessarily obvious if you're not paying detailed attention. I would be willing to bet that if you asked a number of people now what the solstice and the equinox actually mean, many wouldn't know why the day is longer or shorter.
I would be willing to bet that if you asked anyone in charge of ancient agrarian society what the solstices (and often even the equinoxes) actually meant they would know. Every boy scout knows that the shadow of the top of a stick stuck in the ground moves from west to east (especially near solstice).
Art Neuendorffer

Dogger

Post by Dogger » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 pm

Just wondering...if we see the Milky Way in this form (as an arc across the sky), where do we physically sit within it?

I had thought we were on the outer edge of one of the spiral arms, but wonder how that jibes with the photo (?)

Thanks

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:34 am

Dogger wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 pm
Just wondering...if we see the Milky Way in this form (as an arc across the sky), where do we physically sit within it?

I had thought we were on the outer edge of one of the spiral arms, but wonder how that jibes with the photo (?)
The APOD shows half (180º) of the Milky Way centered on the central bar with galactic south up.

:arrow: In a full 360º (right side up) panorama map of the Milky Way with galactic north up (shown at the left) the bright region to the left is looking towards Cygnus/the Northern Cross down the Orion-Cygnus arm.

:arrow: The bright region to the right (above the LMC) is looking towards Crux/the Southern Cross down the Crux-Scutum arm.

Both bright regions are visible in the 180º (upside down) APOD.
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Dogger wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 pm Just wondering...if we see the Milky Way in this form (as an arc across the sky), where do we physically sit within it?

Thanks
While we can, with some degree of accuracy, place ourselves in a map of our galaxy, it is easiest just to recognize that the galaxy is a flat disc with a bulge in the middle, and we're well out in that disk. Because we're in the plane of a disc of stars, we see our own galaxy as a line. That is, we only see, densely, the other stars that are also in the plane of that disc. If we look in any other direction, we only see the much, much smaller number of stars that are above or below us in that plane. And if we look toward the center of the galaxy, we see some of the bulge poking up and down out of the disc plane, which is apparent in the structure of the Milky Way in the region of Sagittarius.

Broadly, it wouldn't really matter where we were located in the disc of our galaxy. The Milky Way would look substantially similar.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com