Have you ever seen an atom?

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Have you ever seen an atom?

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:11 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Most of you smart people who visit this forum had probably seen these atom agglomerations long before. After all, the video is from 2013. Old news!

Well, I'm not that smart, and I thought it was interesting. Hope you can enjoy it, too!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Re: Have you ever seen an atom?

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:38 am

Electron Microscope Images Blade of Grass.png

I can't help myself. After I had watched that atom structure Youtube video, the Youtube algorithm threw me a somewhat related video, this time of electron microscope images.

I totally couldn't resist the image I have posted here. According to the narrator, whose accent I found a bit hard to understand, this is a cross-section of a blade of grass. 😀The "smiley faces"😀 are channels that water is drawn up through, according to the narrator. Aren't those faces irresistible?

Are the colors real? Heck no. These are electron microscope images. Electrons are not colored, at least not in the way that we understand the term.

There are more things to see in the video than just smiling faces of grass. It's a fun video that is sometimes a bit disgusting!

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:38 am Electron Microscope Images Blade of Grass.png

I can't help myself. After I had watched that atom structure Youtube video, the Youtube algorithm threw me a somewhat related video, this time of electron microscope images.

I totally couldn't resist the image I have posted here. According to the narrator, whose accent I found a bit hard to understand, this is a cross-section of a blade of grass. 😀The "smiley faces"😀 are channels that water is drawn up through, according to the narrator. Aren't those faces irresistible?

Are the colors real? Heck no. These are electron microscope images. Electrons are not colored, at least not in the way that we understand the term.

There are more things to see in the video than just smiling faces of grass. It's a fun video that is sometimes a bit disgusting!

Ann
There are some tricks for producing native color in EM images, involving x-ray dispersion or looking at particle energy, but almost all EM images you see with color (including this one) are manually colored, kind of like the way they used to hand tint B&W photos, in order to highlight structures that wouldn't otherwise be obvious to most people.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Daniel DeSclafani
Ensign

Post by Daniel DeSclafani » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:22 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:11 am
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Most of you smart people who visit this forum had probably seen these atom agglomerations long before. After all, the video is from 2013. Old news!

Well, I'm not that smart, and I thought it was interesting. Hope you can enjoy it, too!

Ann
wow! I had not seen this video before, however, I do briefly remembering hearing about seeing an atom. This is incredible!

- Dan

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:38 am Electron Microscope Images Blade of Grass.png

Ann
It seems to me that the colors in the video are given to make the video more interesting and spectacular. If it is black and white, it will not be interesting for beginners to watch (I speak for myself).