APOD: The Central Soul Nebula Without Stars (2020 Nov 10)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Central Soul Nebula Without Stars (2020 Nov 10)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:05 am

Image The Central Soul Nebula Without Stars

Explanation: This cosmic close-up looks deep inside the Soul Nebula. The dark and brooding dust clouds near the top, outlined by bright ridges of glowing gas, are cataloged as IC 1871. About 25 light-years across, the telescopic field of view spans only a small part of the much larger Heart and Soul nebulae. At an estimated distance of 6,500 light-years the star-forming complex lies within the Perseus spiral arm of our Milky Way Galaxy, seen in planet Earth's skies toward the constellation Cassiopeia. An example of triggered star formation, the dense star-forming clouds in the Soul Nebula are themselves sculpted by the intense winds and radiation of the region's massive young stars. In the featured image, stars have been digitally removed to highlight the commotion in the gas and dust.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: The Central Soul Nebula Without Stars (2020 Nov 10)

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:44 am

Just so you know what we're seeing...

The Little Man of the Soul Nebula.png
A small part of the Soul Nebula with "The Little Man".
Photo: Jason Guenzel.
The Soul Nebula with the Little Man.png
The Soul Nebula. Note "The Little Man" (arrow).
Photo: Bart Delsaert.
Color Commentator

rj rl
Ensign

Post by rj rl » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:55 am

Thank you Ann! I too tried to find a similar shot with stars intact to compare the two and did a google image search. What came up, interestingly, was a bunch of paintings, mainly Aivazovsky inspired themes of a restless sea.

Alex_515

Post by Alex_515 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:18 am

It looks like a gigantic and frightening one-eyed goat flying towards us.

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 pm

To me, I think a lioness on the prowl

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:35 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_angel wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<A shoulder angel is a plot device used for dramatic and/or humorous effect in fiction, mainly in animation and comic books/strips. The angel represents conscience and is often accompanied by a shoulder devil representing temptation. They are a useful convention for depicting the inner conflict of a character.

The non-canonical early Christian book, The Shepherd of Hermas, of around A.D. 140–150, has a reference to the idea of two angels: "There are two angels with a man—one of righteousness, and the other of iniquity". These angels in turn descend into a person's heart, and attempt to guide a person's emotions. Hermas is told to understand both angels, but to only trust the Angel of Righteousness.

There is a similar Islamic belief of Kiraman Katibin, two angels residing on either shoulder of humans which record their good and bad deeds. However, these angels do not have influence over the choices one makes, and only record one's deeds. In Japanese Buddhism, the Kushoujin are a pair of beings – Domyo, meaning "same name" and Dosho, meaning "same birth" – which sit on a person's shoulders, observing and reporting all his deeds. Domyo records good deeds, but Dosho reports bad ones.>>
Art Neuendorffer

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 pm To me, I think a lioness on the prowl
To me, it looks like an emission nebula forming stars. :D

Also Jason's gallery can be seen here.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:05 pm

IC1848_Guenzel_960.jpg
Interesting photo! Looks like an insect to me! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:07 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:35 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_angel wrote:
<<A shoulder angel is a plot device used for dramatic and/or humorous effect in fiction, mainly in animation and comic books/strips. The angel represents conscience and is often accompanied by a shoulder devil representing temptation. They are a useful convention for depicting the inner conflict of a character.

The non-canonical early Christian book, The Shepherd of Hermas, of around A.D. 140–150, has a reference to the idea of two angels: "There are two angels with a man—one of righteousness, and the other of iniquity". These angels in turn descend into a person's heart, and attempt to guide a person's emotions. Hermas is told to understand both angels, but to only trust the Angel of Righteousness.

There is a similar Islamic belief of Kiraman Katibin, two angels residing on either shoulder of humans which record their good and bad deeds. However, these angels do not have influence over the choices one makes, and only record one's deeds. In Japanese Buddhism, the Kushoujin are a pair of beings – Domyo, meaning "same name" and Dosho, meaning "same birth" – which sit on a person's shoulders, observing and reporting all his deeds. Domyo records good deeds, but Dosho reports bad ones.>>

Art, that was really funny. Gotta love your tiny, tiny version of yesterday's APOD. I guess that the guy at the top of Pilan Peak is the shoulder angel of the mountain? (And of the auroras?)

Ann
Color Commentator

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Thank you for the perspective. As I was looking at it, I was thinking that it would be nice to know exactly where this image was located. Actually, I was hoping it was one of those images where you can scroll over it and get a different perspective. It would be really neat to see this with and without the stars, side by side.

...but I see India at the bottom there.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:07 pm
Art, that was really funny. Gotta love your tiny, tiny version of yesterday's APOD.

I guess that the guy at the top of Pilan Peak is the shoulder angel of the mountain? (And of the auroras?)
Actually, it represents my own (fallen angel) feelings of Schadenfreude as regards to Trump voters.
(I have personal friends whom I should reconcile with... but haven't gotten to that point yet.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy wrote:
<<Schadenfreude means taking pleasure in the misfortune of others and can be understood as an outgrowth of envy in certain situations. Envy and schadenfreude are very similar and are linked emotional states. Aristotle defined envy as pain at the sight of another’s good fortune, stirred by “those who have what we ought to have.” Bertrand Russell said that envy was one of the most potent causes of unhappiness. Not only is the envious person rendered unhappy by their envy, Russell argued, but that person may also wish to inflict misfortune on others to reduce their status.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:30 pm

neufer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:17 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy wrote:
<<Schadenfreude means taking pleasure in the misfortune of others and can be understood as an outgrowth of envy in certain situations. Envy and schadenfreude are very similar and are linked emotional states. Aristotle defined envy as pain at the sight of another’s good fortune, stirred by “those who have what we ought to have.” Bertrand Russell said that envy was one of the most potent causes of unhappiness. Not only is the envious person rendered unhappy by their envy, Russell argued, but that person may also wish to inflict misfortune on others to reduce their status.>>

Ah, Schadenfreude. "Skadeglädje" in Swedish. The meaning of the word is that you take (a lot of) pleasure in someone else's misfortune (or misery). It's one of those words that are simply lacking in English. Maybe you are the kind of nice people who never feel a lot of Schadenfreude.

Envy is something different - it means that someone else has something nice that you want, but you haven't got it. And you are unhappy and angry that the other person has this nice thing.

And let's not forget that there are better kinds of Freude than Schadenfreude!

Ann
Color Commentator

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:43 pm

starsurfer, Also the whole image looks like a flying bat and what would be the black that hangs between the legs?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:43 pm starsurfer, Also the whole image looks like a flying bat and what would be the black that hangs between the legs?
His sword? 🗡 :wink:

Ann
Color Commentator

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:23 am

touched