APOD: Crew-1 Mission Launch Streak (2020 Nov 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Crew-1 Mission Launch Streak (2020 Nov 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:07 am

Image Crew-1 Mission Launch Streak

Explanation: Leaving planet Earth for a moment, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket arced into the early evening sky last Sunday at 7:27 pm EST. This 3 minute 20 second exposure traces the launch streak over Kennedy Space Center's Launch Complex 39A. The rocket carried four astronauts en route to the International Space Station on the first flight of a NASA-certified commercial human spacecraft system. Dubbed Resilience, the astronauts' Crew Dragon spacecraft successfully docked with the orbital outpost one day later, on Monday, November 16. At the conclusion of their six-month stay on the ISS, the Crew-1 astronauts will use their spacecraft return to Earth. Of course about 9 minutes after launch the Falcon 9 rocket's first stage returned to Earth, landing in the Atlantic Ocean on autonomous spaceport drone ship Just Read The Instructions.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

DL MARTIN

Re: APOD: Crew-1 Mission Launch Streak (2020 Nov 19)

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:20 am

Having watched the space program since the first blast-off, I'm impressed with the savings made by recycling the boosters. Viva the private sector.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm

50606725323_6b93290435_k.jpg
Yeah! first manned spaceship mission since the shuttles were retired! :D :thumb_up: :clap:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm Yeah! first manned spaceship mission since the shuttles were retired! :D :thumb_up: :clap:
You mean with an American rocket. And this is the second... you seem to have forgotten the manned SpaceX launch a few months ago.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:09 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm Yeah! first manned spaceship mission since the shuttles were retired! :D :thumb_up: :clap:
You mean with an American rocket. And this is the second... you seem to have forgotten the manned SpaceX launch a few months ago.
Yes I did mean first American rocket! No I didn't forget: I was going by this
The rocket carried four astronauts en route to the International Space Station on the first flight of a NASA-certified commercial human spacecraft system.
I should have said the first crew exchange! Or am I still wrong? Anyway I'm happy we're in business again!
Orin

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:08 pm

My sister saw this launch from her home more than 200 km away.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm
The rocket carried four astronauts en route to the International Space Station on the first flight of a NASA-certified commercial human spacecraft system.
I should have said the first crew exchange! Or am I still wrong? Anyway I'm happy we're in business again!
I believe the distinction between this latest crewed launch and the one in May is that that one was still a "Demo" mission (albeit with two astronauts!) and this latest launch is an "Operational" mission. It's probably more of a meaningful distinction to NASA than to me!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:00 am

What is most amazing is the mindless zig-zag of American policy on space since 1957 and Sputnik.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm

I believe the distinction between this latest crewed launch and the one in May is that that one was still a "Demo" mission (albeit with two astronauts!) and this latest launch is an "Operational" mission. It's probably more of a meaningful distinction to NASA than to me!
It's OK with me! Chris likes to clarify things, and I really appreciate that! Hopefully there will be a lot of useful missions in the future; like Luna Bases and Mars missions; etc.; etc.! 8-)
Orin