Hobbies

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: Hobbies

Post by owlice » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 pm

KayBur wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm Great! Seemingly random photos, but they turn out wonderful.
Thank you; it's totally the camera! Sometimes some cropping of the image helps, too. (All the bad shots are my fault, though! :lol2: )
KayBur wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm Why I asked - there are people who "hunt" for interesting shots. Well, such a "hunt" takes people an insane amount of time.
Yeah, that's true. I'm not a photographer trying to build a portfolio; I'm just trying to take pics of what I see when I'm out in nature. With things like sparrows and warblers, I sometimes can't identify them in the field, so having a photo or two helps with that.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:29 pm

KayBur wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm Great! Seemingly random photos, but they turn out wonderful. Why I asked - there are people who "hunt" for interesting shots. Well, such a "hunt" takes people an insane amount of time.
I do both. I'm an avid photographer, taking thousands of photos a year. Tens of thousands... I can take over a thousand on a single day of hiking or riding. I always have my phone camera with me, and I get a lot of opportunistic images with it. But I also go out with my DSLR and a telephoto to deliberately shoot birds and animals in nature. "Hunting" for interesting shots, that is. And yes... in that mode, I can spend hours to get just a hundred shots or less, since birds and animals don't always show up or pose on demand the way mountains do!

I've been working on a small portfolio of some of my favorite images.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 pm

One of my hobbies is making PC Wallpaper backgrounds out of APOD's for PC! I have over 2000 so far! Below is an example! I do make errors from time to time that I discover when I set it on my screen!
IMG_7493Colour1024.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:29 pm
KayBur wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:40 pm Great! Seemingly random photos, but they turn out wonderful. Why I asked - there are people who "hunt" for interesting shots. Well, such a "hunt" takes people an insane amount of time.
I do both. I'm an avid photographer, taking thousands of photos a year. Tens of thousands... I can take over a thousand on a single day of hiking or riding. I always have my phone camera with me, and I get a lot of opportunistic images with it. But I also go out with my DSLR and a telephoto to deliberately shoot birds and animals in nature. "Hunting" for interesting shots, that is. And yes... in that mode, I can spend hours to get just a hundred shots or less, since birds and animals don't always show up or pose on demand the way mountains do!

Wow, Chris, I have looked at all the images of your portfolio now, and they range from stunning to amazing!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 pm One of my hobbies is making PC Wallpaper backgrounds out of APOD's for PC! I have over 2000 so far! Below is an example! I do make errors from time to time that I discover when I set it on my screen!IMG_7493Colour1024.jpg

That's great, Orin! I love the Moon and the Tour de France Biker wallpaper!

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Ann wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:29 pm

Wow, Chris, I have looked at all the images of your portfolio now, and they range from stunning to amazing!

Ann
Thanks!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com