APOD: A Volcanic Great Conjunction (2020 Dec 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Volcanic Great Conjunction (2020 Dec 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:06 am

Image A Volcanic Great Conjunction

Explanation: Where can I see the Great Conjunction? Near where the Sun just set. Directionally, this close passing of Jupiter and Saturn will be toward the southwest. Since the planetary pair, the Sun, and the Earth are nearly in a geometric straight line, the planets will be seen to set just where the Sun had set -- from every location on Earth. When can I see the Great Conjunction? Just after sunset. Since the two planets are so near the Sun directionally, they always appear in the sky near the Sun, but can best be seen when the Earth blocks the Sun but not the planets: sunset. Soon thereafter, Jupiter and Saturn will also set, so don't be late! Is tomorrow night the only night that I can see the Great Conjunction? Tomorrow night the jovian giants will appear the closest, but on any night over the next few days they will appear unusually close. Technically, the closest pass happens on 21 December at 18:20 UTC. Will there be an erupting volcano on the horizon near the Great Conjunction? Yes, for example if you live in Guatemala where the featured image was taken. Otherwise, generally, no. In the featured image captured last week, Jupiter and Saturn are visible toward the right, just above a tree, and bathed in the diffuse glow of zodiacal light.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: A Volcanic Great Conjunction (2020 Dec 20)

Post by Ann » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:41 am

A smoking conjunction, wrapped in zodiacal light! Great picture!

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:51 pm

VolcanicConjunction_Sojuel_1080.jpg
Yeah! look's like the pointy tree is pointing at the pair! :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Aeroflake123
Asternaut

Post by Aeroflake123 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:49 pm

I agree that the pic of the volcano is very cool indeed, but sorry, I just don't get the excitement over a tiny dot in the sky being slightly less tiny.

javachip3

Post by javachip3 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 am

Jupiter will not occult Saturn during this conjunction (such an occultation will next occur in 7541 AD) but are there any predictions of a possible transit of Saturn by one or more of Jupiter's Galilean moons today or tomorrow? Some of those moons looked quite close to Saturn on Sunday after sunset.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:36 pm

javachip3 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 am Jupiter will not occult Saturn during this conjunction (such an occultation will next occur in 7541 AD) but are there any predictions of a possible transit of Saturn by one or more of Jupiter's Galilean moons today or tomorrow? Some of those moons looked quite close to Saturn on Sunday after sunset.
Not possible given that the planets are moving past each other with their moon systems parallel to each other.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com