APOD: 3D Ingenuity (2021 Apr 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: APOD: 3D Ingenuity (2021 Apr 08)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:37 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:01 pm Question: Did Neil Armstrong fly the Eagle to a safe landing?
Not the terminology I'd use. "Flying" a spaceship sounds to me like bad 1950s science fiction. You might "pilot" a spacecraft. I'd say that Armstrong safely "landed" the spacecraft, not that he flew it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:45 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:01 pm Question: Did Neil Armstrong fly the Eagle to a safe landing?
What neufer said. I'd say that "Niel Armstrong piloted the Eagle to a safe landing" and fly clear of using the word "fly".

And also, "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." -- often wrongly attributed to Groucho Marx. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_flie ... e_a_banana
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

bill4951

Post by bill4951 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 pm

The legs and feet of Ingenuity look like golf drivers. Why the odd shape?

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 am

During the last moments of the Eagle's descent to the Lunar surface, Neil Armstrong took control of the landing apparatus and flew this landing craft (Eagle) to a flat area coincident with optimum ascent. For historical purposes, is this not the first instance of flight on a body other than Earth?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:21 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 am
During the last moments of the Eagle's descent to the Lunar surface, Neil Armstrong took control of the landing apparatus and flew this landing craft (Eagle) to a flat area coincident with optimum ascent. For historical purposes, is this not the first instance of flight on a body other than Earth?
Vintery, mintery, cutery, corn,
Apple seed and apple thorn,
Wire, briar, limber lock
Three geese in a flock
One flew East
One flew West
And one flew over the cuckoo's nest
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm

neufer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:21 pm
DL MARTIN wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 am
Vintery, mintery, cutery, corn,
Wire, briar, limber lock
Three geese in a flock
One flew East
One flew West
And one flew over the cuckoo's nest
I won't try to divine your implication (though I could hazard a guess), but it's an interesting nonsense nursery rhyme that I've never heard before. There's a less abridged version here (along with an audio reading!) - https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/74/nursery-r ... tery-corn/:
Intery, mintery, cutery corn,
Wire, brier, limber lock,
Three geese in a flock;
Along came Tod,
With his long rod,
And scared them all to Migly-wod.
One flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.—
Make your way home, Jack
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:57 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 am During the last moments of the Eagle's descent to the Lunar surface, Neil Armstrong took control of the landing apparatus and flew this landing craft (Eagle) to a flat area coincident with optimum ascent. For historical purposes, is this not the first instance of flight on a body other than Earth?
This is the first powered descent onto a body other than Earth.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm
I won't try to divine your implication (though I could hazard a guess), but it's an interesting nonsense nursery rhyme that I've never heard before. There's a less abridged version here (along with an audio reading!) - https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/74/nursery-r ... tery-corn/:
Three geese in a flock;
Along came Tod,
With his long rod,
Make your way home, Jack
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:42 pm

neufer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:42 pm
Three geese in a flock;
Along came Tod,
With his long rod,
Make your way home, Jack
"Wendy, I'm home."
--

ta152h0
Schooled

Re: APOD: Zodiacal Night (2021 Apr 10)

Post by ta152h0 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Tomorrow night the helicopter will fly on Mars. I'm going to be glued to the television set, watching what happens. Hurray for the Right brother's spirit that this represents! Pass the ice cold one!
Wolf Kotenberg

neufer

Post by neufer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:22 pm

ta152h0 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:56 pm
Tomorrow night the helicopter will fly on Mars.
I'm going to be glued to the television set, watching what happens.

Hurray for the Right brother's spirit that this represents!
  • Neville Wright?
    (Yu Lee Wong?)
Art Neuendorffer

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:22 pm

ta152h0 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:56 pm Tomorrow night the helicopter will fly on Mars. I'm going to be glued to the television set, watching what happens. Hurray for the Right brother's spirit that this represents! Pass the ice cold one!
Delayed until at least the 14th.
The blades have been spun up though, but first to a low, 50 rpm.
https://www.space.com/mars-helicopter-i ... tor-blades
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

neufer

For future school children?

Post by neufer » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:42 am

De58te wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:32 pm
"The historic test flight is planned for no earlier than Sunday, April 11."

Hopefully it would be neat if they make the first flight on 12 April, because that is the 60th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin's first flight into outer space. Just saying because that would be easier for future school children to remember the dates of first flight off planet Earth, and 60 years later the first flight on another planet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_2 wrote:
<<Sputnik 2 reentered the Earth's atmosphere on 14 April 1958, at approximately 0200 hrs, on a line that stretched from New York to the Amazon. It was said to be glowing and did not develop a tail until it was at latitudes south of 20° North. The satellite burned up in the atmosphere.

[Sputnik 2 had been carrying] the first living creature (larger than a microbe) to orbit the Earth: a female mongrel originally named Kudryavka (Little Curly), but later renamed Laika ("Barker"). Her true pedigree is unknown, although it is generally accepted that she was part husky or other Nordic breed, and possibly part terrier. The pressurized cabin on Sputnik 2 was padded and allowed enough room for Laika to lie down or stand. An air regeneration system provided oxygen; food and water were dispensed in a gelatinized form. Laika was chained in place and fitted with a harness, a bag to collect waste, and electrodes to monitor vital signs. Early telemetry indicated Laika was agitated but alive and well, although the cabin temperature had already reached 43 °C by the third orbit.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:51 pm

1-pia24547-mastcam-z_gives_ingenuity_a_close-up.jpg

I think it is an almost perfect star shape! :shock: You might have to enlarge picture!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:14 am

file.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer

Asteroids

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:22 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish#Fossil_record wrote:
<<Starfish or sea stars are star-shaped echinoderms belonging to the class Asteroidea. Starfish are also known as Asteroids due to being in the class Asteroidea. They are found from the intertidal zone down to abyssal depths, 6,000 m below the surface.

Echinoderms first appeared in the fossil record in the Cambrian. The first known asterozoans were the Somasteroidea, which exhibit characteristics of both groups. Starfish are infrequently found as fossils, possibly because their hard skeletal components separate as the animal decays. Despite this, there are a few places where accumulations of complete skeletal structures occur, fossilized in place in Lagerstätten – so-called "starfish beds".

By the late Paleozoic, the crinoids and blastoids were the predominant echinoderms, and some limestones from this period are made almost entirely from fragments from these groups. In the two major extinction events that occurred during the late Devonian and late Permian, the blastoids were wiped out and only a few species of crinoids survived. Many starfish species also became extinct in these events, but afterwards the surviving few species diversified rapidly within about sixty million years during the Early Jurassic and the beginning of the Middle Jurassic.>>
Art Neuendorffer

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 am

Monday 19th. It flies !!

Or perhaps more correctly it has flown.
And uploaded some pics, inc one of its own shadow down on the surface.
More to come.

So a flying machine has taken to the skies on another planet, a mere 117+ years after the Wright Bros.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:47 pm

RocketRon wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 am Monday 19th. It flies !!

Or perhaps more correctly it has flown.
And uploaded some pics, inc one of its own shadow down on the surface.
More to come.

So a flying machine has taken to the skies on another planet, a mere 117+ years after the Wright Bros.
Yes! Looking forward to some near future APODs about it. I wish I could live to see where we are at the end of the next 117 years. Still hoping for a medical or technological breakthrough in life extension, or consciousness extension in my remaining 30-40 years!
--

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:45 am

Art Neuendorffer