APOD: Lightning and Orion Beyond Uluru (2021 May 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Lightning and Orion Beyond Uluru (2021 May 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue May 11, 2021 4:09 am

Image Lightning and Orion Beyond Uluru

Explanation: What's happening behind Uluru? A United Nations World Heritage Site, Uluru is an extraordinary 350-meter high mountain in central Australia that rises sharply from nearly flat surroundings. Composed of sandstone, Uluru has slowly formed over the past 300 million years as softer rock eroded away. In the background of the featured image taken in mid-May, a raging thunderstorm is visible. Far behind both Uluru and the thunderstorm is a star-filled sky highlighted by the constellation of Orion. The Uluru region has been a home to humans for over 22,000 years. Local indigenous people have long noted that when the stars that compose the modern constellation of Orion first appear in the night sky, a hot season involving lightning storms will soon be arriving.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

De58te
Commander

Re: APOD: Lightning and Orion Beyond Uluru (2021 May 11)

Post by De58te » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 am

You know that Australian aboriginal belief kind of makes sense. In the northern hemisphere the appearance of Orion in the sky happens in autumn and is sort of of a warning that the weather is getting colder and the end of thunderstorms. Which works out since Orion is mostly seen during the winter when very few thunderstorms happen. Contrary wise in the southern hemisphere of Australia, the seasons are reversed so Orion would mainly be seen in the hot summer months.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue May 11, 2021 1:44 pm

De58te wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 am You know that Australian aboriginal belief kind of makes sense. In the northern hemisphere the appearance of Orion in the sky happens in autumn and is sort of of a warning that the weather is getting colder and the end of thunderstorms. Which works out since Orion is mostly seen during the winter when very few thunderstorms happen. Contrary wise in the southern hemisphere of Australia, the seasons are reversed so Orion would mainly be seen in the hot summer months.
Yep! They are in their fall time, getting ready for winter! I don't
know how harsh the winters are their winters are though!
I like the picture of Uluru with Orion in the sky!

UluruOrion_Liu_1080.jpg
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Phobos1
Ensign

Post by Phobos1 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:32 pm

Orion is indeed, upside down.

PilotoAstronomo

Post by PilotoAstronomo » Tue May 11, 2021 4:45 pm

I would like to make a constructive comment, with all due respect. If we take a good look at the image, Apparently the photo was taken west of the Urulu rock, so the photo was taken to the east. if so, the constellation of Orion is only at that height in the east between the months of July to December. therefore that photo was not taken in the month of May as it says in his comment. I wish that you do not take my comment the wrong way, I only want to correct any possible error, which is why I did not write it in the comments. greetings and blue skies.

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Tue May 11, 2021 4:57 pm

I thought Orion showed up during the cooler season in Australia.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 11, 2021 5:31 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:57 pm I thought Orion showed up during the cooler season in Australia.
Orion is near the Sun, and therefore has very limited (or even impossible) viewing from May through August. It is in the sky all night (that is, opposite the Sun) at the end of November. It is therefore considered a winter constellation in the northern hemisphere and a summer constellation in the southern hemisphere.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

ptahhotep
Ensign

Post by ptahhotep » Tue May 11, 2021 5:46 pm

Are those meteor or satellite trails?

hypatia
Ensign

Post by hypatia » Tue May 11, 2021 7:40 pm

Mid May? What year?

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm

hypatia wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:40 pm Mid May? What year?
Nowhere in the description does it say that the photograph was taken in mid-May.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm

Cousin Ricky wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm
Nowhere in the description does it say that the photograph was taken in mid-May.
Are we reading the same description?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Wed May 12, 2021 3:17 am

In my lares, southern hemisphere, Orion is visible in spring and summer, at Christmas it culminates at 00.00.

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm
It’s right in the middle of the text guys...

“What's happening behind Uluru? A United Nations World Heritage Site, Uluru is an extraordinary 350-meter high mountain in central Australia that rises sharply from nearly flat surroundings. Composed of sandstone, Uluru has slowly formed over the past 300 million years as softer rock eroded away. In the background of the featured image taken in mid-May, a raging thunderstorm is visible. Far behind both Uluru and the thunderstorm is a star-filled sky highlighted by the constellation of Orion. The Uluru region has been a home to humans for over 22,000 years. Local indigenous people have long noted that when the stars that compose the modern constellation of Orion first appear in the night sky, a hot season involving lightning storms will soon be arriving. “
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

Cousin Ricky
Science Officer

Post by Cousin Ricky » Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 pm

XgeoX wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:19 pm

It’s right in the middle of the text guys...

“What's happening behind Uluru? A United Nations World Heritage Site, Uluru is an extraordinary 350-meter high mountain in central Australia that rises sharply from nearly flat surroundings. Composed of sandstone, Uluru has slowly formed over the past 300 million years as softer rock eroded away. In the background of the featured image taken in mid-May, a raging thunderstorm is visible. Far behind both Uluru and the thunderstorm is a star-filled sky highlighted by the constellation of Orion. The Uluru region has been a home to humans for over 22,000 years. Local indigenous people have long noted that when the stars that compose the modern constellation of Orion first appear in the night sky, a hot season involving lightning storms will soon be arriving. “
Brain fart? Senior moment? :?:

I swear, I looked up and down the text multiple times, and never saw that until XgeoX pointed it out.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Invisible Uluru

Post by neufer » Thu May 13, 2021 3:13 am

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Cousin Ricky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:08 pm
XgeoX wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:26 pm
“... In the background of the featured image taken in mid-May, a raging thunderstorm is visible.,,“
Brain fart? Senior moment? :?:

I swear, I looked up and down the text multiple times, and never saw that until XgeoX pointed it out.
Art Neuendorffer