APOD: Mid-Eclipse and Milky Way (2021 May 27)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Mid-Eclipse and Milky Way (2021 May 27)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu May 27, 2021 4:05 am

Image Mid-Eclipse and Milky Way

Explanation: May's perigee Full Moon slid through Earth's shadow yesterday entertaining night skygazers in regions around the Pacific. Seen from western North America, it sinks toward the rugged Sierra Nevada mountain range in this time-lapse series of the total lunar eclipse. Low on the western horizon the Moon was captured at mid-eclipse with two separate exposures. Combined they reveal the eclipsed Moon's reddened color against the dark night sky and the diffuse starlight band of the Milky Way. Frames taken every five minutes from the fixed camera follow the surrounding progression of the eclipse partial phases. In the foreground a radio telescope dish at California's Owen's Valley Radio Observatory points skyward.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

RocketRon

Re: APOD: Mid-Eclipse and Milky Way (2021 May 27)

Post by RocketRon » Thu May 27, 2021 4:59 am

Very scenic.

Seems very red. Certainly not like that here
Just became very dark - and impossible to photograph ...

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu May 27, 2021 11:17 am

TLEMay2021Kraus.jpg
Very nice view! I was up at 5:00 AM; but failed to go outside and
look! Brain fart on my part! :cry: Is this what they call the blood red
look the moon gets during an eclipse?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

E Fish
Science Officer

Post by E Fish » Thu May 27, 2021 1:07 pm

Beautiful. All we had were clouds. Beautifully clear this morning, of course.

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Thu May 27, 2021 5:17 pm

No way Moon could have traveled so fast in relation to the Milky Way :(
You just can't have the following 3 things in a meaningful picture:

1) the skyline
2) fixed stars' movement in relation to the skyline
3) planets' movement in relation to (1) and (2)

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu May 27, 2021 6:56 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:17 pm No way Moon could have traveled so fast in relation to the Milky Way :(

1) the skyline
Not sure of all the math here - Chris or others can fill in the details - but you might be right. This is a composite picture after all. I can't find the exact details about how this pic was made but the text hints that the first shot might have been the only one that included the skyline and the Milky Way, and the other 23 shots were stacked to include only the moon. We do know at least this: 24 shots at 5 minute intervals should depict 2 hours of travel across the sky. Elsewhere, I found that the moon's angular velocity across the sky - not it's motion with respect to the stars! - is 15 degrees per hour, which would mean that it should have moved 30 degrees during the duration of the depicted sequence. Does that appear to be right in this APOD? How the background stars and the skyline were also moving during that time I'm not sure.

PS - any planetary motion is yet another motion to possibly consider, but since there are no planets in this shot (or are there?), it's irrelevant for this APOD.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 27, 2021 8:00 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:17 pm No way Moon could have traveled so fast in relation to the Milky Way :(

1) the skyline
Of course not. It's a single time exposure of the landscape and the sky, and a composite stack of the Moon, accurately capturing the position and eclipse phase with respect to the horizon.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NCTom

Post by NCTom » Thu May 27, 2021 8:43 pm

Chris, glad to see your name. I wanted to thank you for the information and link to the main article related to AG Car on May 26. I couldn't get back to my computer the same day. From the article it would appear AG Car will keep scientists busy for a little whole longer discerning its nebular shape and its point in its stellar development. The stuff on LBVs was all new to me. Thanks again.

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:56 pm there are no planets in this shot
I think the shadow of Earth must have been moving like some anti-Sun centered large shadowy planet. That plus Moon make two planets moving in relation to the fixed stars and to each other too.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri May 28, 2021 12:57 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:56 pm there are no planets in this shot
I think the shadow of Earth must have been moving like some anti-Sun centered large shadowy planet. That plus Moon make two planets moving in relation to the fixed stars and to each other too.
Ok, yes, I'll grant that the earth's silhouette is indeed that of a planet, but the moon is not a planet. It's a moon! But it is a non-star, and in our solar system and also moves approximately along the ecliptic just like all the true planets. So perhaps that was your main point.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Fri May 28, 2021 3:27 pm

why modernize terms when designing a picture of skyline, fixed stars and planets?
Planets are the travellers i.e. just Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury and Moon; other stars are fixed on a daily rotating sphere.
Sun has anti-Sun centered Earth shadow; the center travels in sync with Sun. Maybe it counts for the eighth planet, maybe not.
Like many armed Shiva dancing statuette, we can picture the travels with multiple images of the travellers.
But we confuse the spectators if we multiply large pieces like skyline or the Milky Way and the fixed stars. One or the other should go.