APOD: A Distorted Sunrise Eclipse (2021 Jun 06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Distorted Sunrise Eclipse (2021 Jun 06)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:07 am

Image A Distorted Sunrise Eclipse

Explanation: Yes, but have you ever seen a sunrise like this? Here, after initial cloudiness, the Sun appeared to rise in two pieces and during partial eclipse, causing the photographer to describe it as the most stunning sunrise of his life. The dark circle near the top of the atmospherically-reddened Sun is the Moon -- but so is the dark peak just below it. This is because along the way, the Earth's atmosphere had an inversion layer of unusually warm air which acted like a gigantic lens and created a second image. For a normal sunrise or sunset, this rare phenomenon of atmospheric optics is known as the Etruscan vase effect. The featured picture was captured in December 2019 from Al Wakrah, Qatar. Some observers in a narrow band of Earth to the east were able to see a full annular solar eclipse -- where the Moon appears completely surrounded by the background Sun in a ring of fire. The next solar eclipse, also an annular eclipse for well-placed observers, will occur later this week on June 10.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: A Distorted Sunrise Eclipse (2021 Jun 06)

Post by Ann » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:22 am

We've seen it before, but it really is an amazing image. The partially eclipsed and heavily reddened Sun looks like some kind of sea monster, perhaps a cross between Poseidon and the Devil on steroids, rising ut of the sea.

Ann
Color Commentator

Ensign

Post by WWW » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:50 am

Yet another apod deja view.
Not only have we seen it before (the exact shot, apod 28 Dec 2019), but we've also read the same exact description, (with just the slight update for the next eclipse).

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:10 am

Me, I've NEVER seen it before; for me, this is a GREAT APOD! Thank you!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:47 am

Beautiful photo; even though I've seen it before! 8-)
DistortedSunrise_Chasiotis_1080.jpg

Reminds me of a Lava Lamp! :roll:
moonrise_stetson.jpg

These kitties are very cute! :wink:
.png
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Maybe it looks more like a Etruscan bowl rather than a vase. But there is something curious. The featured image link to Facebook isn't exactly the same picture. There the connecting red line in the middle is missing. There is a gray gap in the middle separating the two "horns" on the sides. Maybe it is what's the word, pareidolia, but it looks to me like a giant red devil's horns peaking up over the horizon with the Facebook image.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:58 pm

De58te wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:36 pm Maybe it looks more like a Etruscan bowl rather than a vase. But there is something curious. The featured image link to Facebook isn't exactly the same picture. There the connecting red line in the middle is missing. There is a gray gap in the middle separating the two "horns" on the sides. Maybe it is what's the word, pareidolia, but it looks to me like a giant red devil's horns peaking up over the horizon with the Facebook image.
If you scroll right one picture on the Facebook page, you'll see today's APOD image. There's probably a video of the entire process somewhere, if not for this exact scene, for a similar one.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:55 pm

An email from an expert in atmospheric optics correctly stated that no inversion layer was operating here. Rather, the optical effect was just caused by the warm air just above the sea. The air temperature was not inverted -- the higher one goes, the cooler the air. The text of the main NASA APOD has now been updated. I thank the emailer and apologize for the oversight.