APOD: A Face in the Clouds of Jupiter from... (2021 Jun 08)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Face in the Clouds of Jupiter from... (2021 Jun 08)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:08 am

Image A Face in the Clouds of Jupiter from Juno

Explanation: What do you see in the clouds of Jupiter? On the largest scale, circling the planet, Jupiter has alternating light zones and reddish-brown belts. Rising zone gas, mostly hydrogen and helium, usually swirls around regions of high pressure. Conversely, falling belt gas usually whirls around regions of low pressure, like cyclones and hurricanes on Earth. Belt storms can form into large and long-lasting white ovals and elongated red spots. NASA's robotic Juno spacecraft captured most of these cloud features in 2017 during perijove 6, its sixth pass over the giant planet in its looping 2-month orbit. But it is surely not these clouds themselves that draws your attention to the displayed image, but rather their arrangement. The face that stands out, nicknamed Jovey McJupiterFace, lasted perhaps a few weeks before the neighboring storm clouds rotated away. Juno has now completed 33 orbits around Jupiter and just yesterday made a close pass near Ganymede, our Solar System's largest moon.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: A Face in the Clouds of Jupiter from... (2021 Jun 08)

Post by Ann » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:04 am

Jovey McJupiterFace, oh my!!! Pareidolia overload!! 👀 👄

Tell me, is the "mouth" of Mister McJupiterFace the Great Red Spot? If so, why is it so elongated?

(Reality check, Ann, it can't be the Great Red Spot. Its shape can't have changed so drastically in such a short time, and if it had, you would have read about it already... okay?)

Ann
Color Commentator

Charlotte Bridgestone
Ensign

Post by Charlotte Bridgestone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:29 am

Such a great picture! It is hard to believe that nowadays it is posssible to take photo of another planet! I admire scientists thanks to whom we can enjoy such views nowadays!

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am

I agree with Ann! If Apods aren't greeted with sighs of aesthetic delight, they get geven a name. Anything "mcanyface" is so lame and hackneyed that you should be ashamed of yourselves. This picture adds NOTHING to scientific knowledge!
John

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Jovey_JunoMajor_960.jpg

It's fun to imagine! And today's picture is a humorous imagination! I kinda like it! Actually you can imagine all kinds of faces in photos of space clouds etc.

.jpg
Forgot his name but the one in pink outline reminds me of this guy!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Lasse H
Ensign

Post by Lasse H » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 pm

I can't figure out what the two black shadows are – the circular shapes that hide Jupiter's left and right parts.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:36 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

p1gnone
Ensign

Post by p1gnone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:07 pm

I don't find amusement in pareidolia.
More I am reminded that I do not understand the color variation.
Is it temperature of same gasses, differences in gas concentration, dust or other matter inclusions? Accomplished by what mechanisms?

p1gnone
Ensign

Post by p1gnone » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:11 pm

JohnD wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 amThis picture adds NOTHING to scientific knowledge!
The picture may well contain scientifically useful info, but the pareidolia distracts from it, doesn't amuse me & doesn't add to MY scientific knowledge.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:09 pm

p1gnone wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:11 pm
JohnD wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am
This picture adds NOTHING to scientific knowledge!
The picture may well contain scientifically useful info, but the pareidolia distracts from it, doesn't amuse me & doesn't add to MY scientific knowledge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(spacecraft)#Scientific_objectives wrote:
<<Juno's [scientific] mission is to measure Jupiter's composition, gravitational field, magnetic field, and polar magnetosphere. It will also search for clues about how the planet formed, including whether it has a rocky core, the amount of water present within the deep atmosphere, mass distribution, and its deep winds, which can reach speeds up to 620 km/h.
  • Scientific instruments:
    • 3.1 Microwave radiometer (MWR)
      3.2 Jovian Infrared Auroral Mapper (JIRAM)
      3.3 Magnetometer (MAG)
      3.4 Gravity Science (GS)
      3.5 Jovian Auroral Distributions Experiment (JADE)
      3.6 Jovian Energetic Particle Detector Instrument (JEDI)
      3.7 Radio and Plasma Wave Sensor (Waves)
      3.8 Ultraviolet Spectrograph (UVS)

3.9 JunoCam (JCM): A visible light camera/telescope, included in the payload to facilitate education and public outreach; later re-purposed to study the dynamics of Jupiter's clouds, particularly those at the poles. It was anticipated that it would operate through only eight orbits of Jupiter ending in September 2017 due to the planet's damaging radiation and magnetic field,[74] but as of September 2020 (29 orbits), JunoCam remains operational.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm
It's fun to imagine! And today's picture is a humorous imagination! I kinda like it! Actually you can imagine all kinds of faces in photos of space clouds etc.
Jupiter face.png

I think Mr Jovey McJupiterFace is this guy here!

But I agree with you, maybe those curlicues at upper right are really messages left for us by aliens! (Or not!!!!) :mrgreen:

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Time for an ET rescue mission?

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Actually you can imagine all kinds of faces in photos of space clouds etc.
Ann wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 pm
I think Mr Jovey McJupiterFace is this guy here! But I agree with you, maybe those curlicues at upper right are really messages left for us by aliens!
Art Neuendorffer

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm Jovey_JunoMajor_960.jpg

.jpg
More like this. ;-)

»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:36 pm

Astronymus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm

.jpg
More like this. ;-)

Or these:

[ And lighten up people! Sometimes even hard core astronomers and astrophysicists like to have a little fun. ]
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:23 am

Ann wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 pm

Jupiter face.png

I think Mr Jovey McJupiterFace is this guy here!

But I agree with you, maybe those curlicues at upper right are really messages left for us by aliens! (Or not!!!!) :mrgreen:

Ann
Yes; I agree with you! Just thought I'd add to the fun! :mrgreen:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 am

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:36 pm
Astronymus wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm

.jpg
More like this. ;-)

Or these:

[ And lighten up people! Sometimes even hard core astronomers and astrophysicists like to have a little fun. ]
Walking stick? Nasty little guy!😁
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 am
  • Praying mantis. Nasty big gal!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis wrote:
<<Mantises are an order (Mantodea) of insects that contains over 2,400 species in about 430 genera in 30 families. Mantises are sometimes confused with stick insects (Phasmatodea), other elongated insects such as grasshoppers (Orthoptera), or other unrelated insects with raptorial forelegs such as mantisflies (Mantispidae). The closest relatives of mantises are termites and cockroaches (Blattodea), which are all within the superorder Dictyoptera. Mantises have triangular heads with bulging eyes supported on flexible necks. Their elongated bodies may or may not have wings, but all Mantodea have forelegs that are greatly enlarged and adapted for catching and gripping prey; their upright posture, while remaining stationary with forearms folded, has led to the common name praying mantis. The earliest mantis fossils are about 140 million years old, from Siberia. Fossil mantises, including one from Japan with spines on the front legs as in modern mantises, have been found in Cretaceous amber. Most fossils in amber are nymphs; compression fossils (in rock) include adults.

Sexual cannibalism is common among most predatory species of mantises in captivity. It has sometimes been observed in natural populations, where about a quarter of male-female encounters result in the male being eaten by the female. Around 90% of the predatory species of mantises exhibit sexual cannibalism. Adult males typically outnumber females at first, but their numbers may be fairly equivalent later in the adult stage, possibly because females selectively eat the smaller males. The female may begin feeding by biting off the male's head (as they do with regular prey), and if mating has begun, the male's movements may become even more vigorous in its delivery of sperm. The reason for sexual cannibalism has been debated; experiments show that females on poor diets are likelier to engage in sexual cannibalism than those on good diets.[66] Some hypothesize that submissive males gain a selective advantage by producing offspring; this is supported by a quantifiable increase in the duration of copulation among males which are cannibalized, in some cases doubling both the duration and the chance of fertilization. This is contrasted by a study where males were seen to approach hungry females with more caution, and were shown to remain mounted on hungry females for a longer time, indicating that males that actively avoid cannibalism may mate with multiple females. The same study also found that hungry females generally attracted fewer males than those that were well fed. The act of dismounting after copulation is dangerous for males, for at this time, females most frequently cannibalize their mates.>>
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:41 pm

neufer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Or as I like to call her (or he), Triangley McTriangle Head :ssmile:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 pm

neufer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis wrote:
<<Mantises are an order (Mantodea) of insects that contains over 2,400 species in about 430 genera in 30 families. Mantises are sometimes confused with stick insects (Phasmatodea), other elongated insects such as grasshoppers (Orthoptera), or other unrelated insects with raptorial forelegs such as mantisflies (Mantispidae). The closest relatives of mantises are termites and cockroaches (Blattodea), which are all within the superorder Dictyoptera. Mantises have triangular heads with bulging eyes supported on flexible necks. Their elongated bodies may or may not have wings, but all Mantodea have forelegs that are greatly enlarged and adapted for catching and gripping prey; their upright posture, while remaining stationary with forearms folded, has led to the common name praying mantis. The earliest mantis fossils are about 140 million years old, from Siberia. Fossil mantises, including one from Japan with spines on the front legs as in modern mantises, have been found in Cretaceous amber. Most fossils in amber are nymphs; compression fossils (in rock) include adults.

Sexual cannibalism is common among most predatory species of mantises in captivity. It has sometimes been observed in natural populations, where about a quarter of male-female encounters result in the male being eaten by the female. Around 90% of the predatory species of mantises exhibit sexual cannibalism. Adult males typically outnumber females at first, but their numbers may be fairly equivalent later in the adult stage, possibly because females selectively eat the smaller males. The female may begin feeding by biting off the male's head (as they do with regular prey), and if mating has begun, the male's movements may become even more vigorous in its delivery of sperm. The reason for sexual cannibalism has been debated; experiments show that females on poor diets are likelier to engage in sexual cannibalism than those on good diets.[66] Some hypothesize that submissive males gain a selective advantage by producing offspring; this is supported by a quantifiable increase in the duration of copulation among males which are cannibalized, in some cases doubling both the duration and the chance of fertilization. This is contrasted by a study where males were seen to approach hungry females with more caution, and were shown to remain mounted on hungry females for a longer time, indicating that males that actively avoid cannibalism may mate with multiple females. The same study also found that hungry females generally attracted fewer males than those that were well fed. The act of dismounting after copulation is dangerous for males, for at this time, females most frequently cannibalize their mates.>>
Thanks Art; I stand corrected!

Here is a walking stick!
.jpg
Still, a nasty looking guy!
Orin

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:04 am
Tell me, is the "mouth" of Mister McJupiterFace the Great Red Spot? If so, why is it so elongated?

(Reality check, Ann, it can't be the Great Red Spot. Its shape can't have changed so drastically in such a short time, and if it had, you would have read about it already... okay?)

Ann
p1gnone wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:11 pm
JohnD wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 amThis picture adds NOTHING to scientific knowledge!
He who has eyes to see, let him see.

I really enjoyed the link "perijove 6" in the caption. I'm a fan of Sean Doran's work. He set the classic soundtrack of Ligeti's Requiem for the pass, harkening back to Stanley Kubrick.
  • I believe in that pass you might see the Great Red Spot early on (at 0:42-0:50).
  • Today's still is from a point in the video well after that (at about 1:15-1:20). The gigantic dark feature in this APOD is perhaps a "brown barge" feature. The reason for the black circular edges appears to be that this was the limit on the Juno cam imaging at that point in the flight.
  • One of the coolest things in the complete pass video is that later (at around 2:00 and ff) one can see that the 2 white circles of today's APOD are part of a larger set of white circular storms that are surprisingly regular in spacing.
  • And finally, at the very end, another feature that also might be the Great Red Spot (at around 2:30, at the upper left).
Mark Goldfain

neufer

Post by neufer » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 am

Ann wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:04 am

Jovey McJupiterFace, oh my!!! Pareidolia overload!! 👀 👄

The "mouth" of Mister McJupiterFace is the color/shape changing chameleon:

Oval BA/Red Spot Junior
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Jupiter#Specific_bands wrote:
<<The South Temperate Region, or South Temperate Belt (STB), is a dark, prominent belt, its most famous features were the long-lived white ovals BC, DE, and FA, which have since merged to form Oval BA ("Red Jr."). The ovals were part of South Temperate Zone, but they extended into STB partially blocking it. The STB has occasionally faded, apparently due to complex interactions between the white ovals and the GRS. The appearance of the South Temperate Zone (STZ)—the zone in which the white ovals originated—is highly variable.>>
Art Neuendorffer