APOD: Zhurong: New Rover on Mars (2021 Jun 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Zhurong: New Rover on Mars (2021 Jun 15)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:09 am

Image Zhurong: New Rover on Mars

Explanation: There's a new rover on Mars. In mid-May, China's Tianwen-1 mission delivered the Zhurong rover onto the red planet. As Mars means Planet of Fire in Chinese, the Zhurong rover's name means, roughly, God of Fire in Chinese mythology. Zhurong landed in northern Utopia Planitia, the largest known impact basin in the Solar System, and an area reported to have much underground ice. Among many other scientific instruments, Zhurong carries ground-penetrating radar that can detect ice buried even 100-meters deep. Car-sized Zhurong is pictured here next to its landing base. The image was snapped by a remote camera deployed by the rolling rover. Zhurong's planned 90-day mission includes studying the geology, soil, and atmosphere of Mars in Utopia Planitia.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Re: APOD: Zhurong: New Rover on Mars (2021 Jun 15)

Post by emc » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:56 am

ET with wings
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:59 am

I can see 5 Alive too!
Who’s that guy on the right? :mrgreen:

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am

It's interesting that the shape of a Mars Rover seems to converge, whoever the designers!
I presume that's a thermonuclear power generator at the back, like Curiosity's?
And the wheels are very similar. 'Borrowed' ideas maybe, but they decided on the same design.

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am

JohnD wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am It's interesting that the shape of a Mars Rover seems to converge, whoever the designers!
And the wheels are very similar. 'Borrowed' ideas maybe, but they decided on the same design.
The rover is entirely solar powered, the thing that looks like an RTG is actually it’s weather station (beats me why it looks like that!).

As for the wheels being similar I think they pretty much have too as I doubt any rubber could survive those cold, cold nights!!! :|

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

Eric
Ensign

Post by Eric » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:21 am

Thanks for the cool pic and info.
Copyediting note: "100 meters" should not be hyphenated.

orienteer6

Post by orienteer6 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm

How was the camera deployed? I see no wheel tracks, and no wires. The only guess I have is an air cannon, which would not guarantee a proper alignment.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:01 pm

XgeoX, there are other designs for extraterrestrial wheels - for instance the wire mesh ones on the Apollo Lunar Rover: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/64528207130752446/

JOhn

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm

emc wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:56 amET with wings

My thoughts was like a bird also! :) ready to go into flight!

ZhurongRover_CNSA_1080.jpg

What mysteries will we uncover on Mars? & Will the science communities share?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:05 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
orin stepanek wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm
emc wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:56 am

ET with wings
My thoughts was like a bird also! :) ready to go into flight!

What mysteries will we uncover on Mars? & Will the science communities share?
Art Neuendorffer

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm

orienteer6 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm How was the camera deployed? I see no wheel tracks, and no wires. The only guess I have is an air cannon, which would not guarantee a proper alignment.
I'm not sure there aren't tracks. I see what could be tracks leading left and right from each wheel, almost parallel to the horizon, which is consistent with what we'd see given a wide angle camera sitting very low to the ground.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 pm

This Zhurong contraption reminds me of something... Now what can it be?

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 pm

This Zhurong contraption reminds me of something... Now what can it be?

Ann
But you gotta add wings to Wali and than you got it Ann!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:26 pm

XgeoX wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 am
JohnD wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am It's interesting that the shape of a Mars Rover seems to converge, whoever the designers!
The rover is entirely solar powered, the thing that looks like an RTG is actually it’s weather station (beats me why it looks like that!).

As for the wheels being similar I think they pretty much have too as I doubt any rubber could survive those cold, cold nights!!! :|

Eric
So what is it that looks like an RTG on the rover? That small canister thing on the top? I don't think see that in the labelled diagram though.

EDIT: ok, found it. It is indeed label 6 (the MCS) in your diagram, which for some reason doesn't show the canister (perhaps it's extensible?). Here's another pic with that labelled:

--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orienteer6

Post by orienteer6 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:32 pm

by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm

orienteer6 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm
How was the camera deployed? I see no wheel tracks, and no wires. The only guess I have is an air cannon, which would not guarantee a proper alignment.
I'm not sure there aren't tracks. I see what could be tracks leading left and right from each wheel, almost parallel to the horizon, which is consistent with what we'd see given a wide angle camera sitting very low to the ground.
Chris

The picture of the base with the ramp shows some good tracks. This shot does not. I can only assume that the rover took a circular route so as to not mar the surface.
Thanks for the answer.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 pm

orienteer6 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:32 pm by Chris Peterson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm

orienteer6 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm
Chris

The picture of the base with the ramp shows some good tracks. This shot does not. I can only assume that the rover took a circular route so as to not mar the surface.
Thanks for the answer.
Maybe. But I'm still not convinced that we don't see the tracks here, with the camera right between them.
_
ZhurongRover_CNSA_tracks.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:34 pm

This maybe the HAPPIEST ( lighting perspective) picture of MARS yet! Flowers almost expected.

neufer

What could go Zhurong?

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: What could go Zhurong?

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:32 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:15 pm
Just what are you implying, neufer? What's so interesting about that rock? I'm more curious about the perfect sphere seen at 1:30 and later.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:31 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:32 pm
Just what are you implying, neufer?

What's so interesting about that rock?
I'm more curious about the perfect sphere seen at 1:30 and later.
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:59 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:31 pm
Just what are you implying, neufer?

What's so interesting about that rock?
I do know about the "blueberries", but I though those were usually found in multiples in close proximity. This sphere seems to be off by its lonesome. Plus, it seems to be a lot bigger and more perfect than the typical "blueberry" though admittedly I'm not sure of the scale in this video.
--

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:59 pm
I do know about the "blueberries", but I though those were usually found in multiples in close proximity. This sphere seems to be off by its lonesome. Plus, it seems to be a lot bigger and more perfect than the typical "blueberry" though admittedly I'm not sure of the scale in this video.
Researchers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory noted the size of Martian blueberries tends to decrease with decreasing latitude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_spherules wrote:
<<Researchers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory studied all the soil environments observed by Opportunity, and therefore studied the blueberries from Eagle Crater to Endurance (crater). They found that in a sample of 696 blueberries, disregarding any non-spherical blueberries from the sample, the blueberries average major axis to be about 2.87 mm. They also discovered blueberries that are found within soils are typically smaller than blueberries found in the outcrops. They noted the size of the blueberries tends to decrease with decreasing latitude.

NASA’s JPL also found that blueberries uncovered by the Rock Abrasion Tool aboard Opportunity were about 4 mm semi-major axis length at Eagle Crater and Endurance crater, about 2.2mm at Vostok, and about 3.0 mm at Naturaliste (crater). Those found in “the plains” were smaller (1-2 mm) than those of Eagle and Endurance craters.

Researchers from the University of Utah have explored the similarities between the blueberries and spherical concretions discovered within “Jurassic Navajo Sandstone” in southern Utah. They have concluded Mars must have had previous ground water activity to form the blueberries. However, they do note the spherules are more spherical in the Martian sample due to the lack of “joints, fractures, faults, or other preferential fluid paths,” unlike the Utah sample. A team of researchers from Japan studied the spherules found in Utah as well as spherules that were later discovered in Mongolia, in the Gobi. They found evidence that the concretions found in these locations are first formed as “spherical calcite concretions” in sandstone. Acidic water rich in iron then dissolve the calcite leaving behind the iron rich (hematite) spherule. This leads to the conclusion that the blueberries may have formed early in Mars’s history when the atmosphere was more dense by the same process.>>
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/heaviest-blueberry wrote:
<<A (36 mm wide) blueberry grown by David and Leasa Mazzardis, founders and owners of the Nature's Select breeding program in Wilbinga, Western Australia, set a new world weight record at 0.57 ounces (16.2 g). The Mazzardis said they did not set out to grow unusually large blueberries, but the size of the fruit is a side effect of breeding the Ozblue variety of blueberries for traits related to taste and texture.
Art Neuendorffer

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:58 pm

neufer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:59 pm
Researchers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory noted the size of Martian blueberries tends to decrease with decreasing latitude.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_spherules wrote:
<<Researchers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory studied all the soil environments observed by Opportunity, and therefore studied the blueberries from Eagle Crater to Endurance (crater). They found that in a sample of 696 blueberries, disregarding any non-spherical blueberries from the sample, the blueberries average major axis to be about 2.87 mm. They also discovered blueberries that are found within soils are typically smaller than blueberries found in the outcrops. They noted the size of the blueberries tends to decrease with decreasing latitude.

NASA’s JPL also found that blueberries uncovered by the Rock Abrasion Tool aboard Opportunity were about 4 mm semi-major axis length at Eagle Crater and Endurance crater, about 2.2mm at Vostok, and about 3.0 mm at Naturaliste (crater). Those found in “the plains” were smaller (1-2 mm) than those of Eagle and Endurance craters.

Researchers from the University of Utah have explored the similarities between the blueberries and spherical concretions discovered within “Jurassic Navajo Sandstone” in southern Utah. They have concluded Mars must have had previous ground water activity to form the blueberries. However, they do note the spherules are more spherical in the Martian sample due to the lack of “joints, fractures, faults, or other preferential fluid paths,” unlike the Utah sample. A team of researchers from Japan studied the spherules found in Utah as well as spherules that were later discovered in Mongolia, in the Gobi. They found evidence that the concretions found in these locations are first formed as “spherical calcite concretions” in sandstone. Acidic water rich in iron then dissolve the calcite leaving behind the iron rich (hematite) spherule. This leads to the conclusion that the blueberries may have formed early in Mars’s history when the atmosphere was more dense by the same process.>>
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/heaviest-blueberry wrote:
<<A (36 mm wide) blueberry grown by David and Leasa Mazzardis, founders and owners of the Nature's Select breeding program in Wilbinga, Western Australia, set a new world weight record at 0.57 ounces (16.2 g). The Mazzardis said they did not set out to grow unusually large blueberries, but the size of the fruit is a side effect of breeding the Ozblue variety of blueberries for traits related to taste and texture.
Interesting. Zhurong is the farthest north latitude of all the recent rovers so far, so I guess a big “outcrop” blueberry would make sense here. There’s a great interactive map of all the rover locations here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhurong_(rover)#Gallery
--