APOD: Northern Summer Twilight (2021 Jun 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Northern Summer Twilight (2021 Jun 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:05 am

Image Northern Summer Twilight

Explanation: Nights grow shorter and days grow longer as the summer solstice approaches in the north. Usually seen at high latitudes in summer months, noctilucent or night shining clouds begin to make their appearance. Drifting near the edge of space about 80 kilometers above the Earth's surface, these icy clouds were still reflecting the sunlight on June 14. Though the Sun was below the horizon as seen north of Forrest, Manitoba, Canada, they were caught in a single exposure of a near midnight twilight sky. Multiple exposures of the foreground track the lower altitude flash of fireflies, another fleeting apparition shining in the summer night.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Northern Summer Twilight (2021 Jun 19)

Post by Ann » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:04 am

At first I thought this picture might be from Sweden, except that the old ramshackle shed doesn't look too Swedish.

And fireflies are definitely not Swedish!

Ann
Color Commentator

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 am

Small correction. Astronomically (which this website seems to promote) it was still Spring on June 14 in the North. Summer doesn't begin until tomorrow.
However there is a meteorological summer which apparently starts June 1st. Yet would bonafide astronomers follow that calendar?

Holger Nielsen
Ensign

Post by Holger Nielsen » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:08 am

A serene picture indeed! I have difficulties in identifying the stars. At first I thought that the bright star in the middle must be Capella and part of Perseus standing at the top right, a familiar summer view here from Denmark. But inspection of the high resolution image (which shows a lot of stars) does not confirm this. For instance I cannot find Epsilon, Eta and Zeta Aurigae (the Kids) near "Capella". Any help?

The day of exposure is given, but not the time. I seem to have noticed that precise information is often lacking on APOD images: "some weeks ago", "recently".

Holger

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Joe Stieber
Science Officer

Post by Joe Stieber » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Holger Nielsen wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:08 am A serene picture indeed! I have difficulties in identifying the stars. At first I thought that the bright star in the middle must be Capella and part of Perseus standing at the top right, a familiar summer view here from Denmark. But inspection of the high resolution image (which shows a lot of stars) does not confirm this. For instance I cannot find Epsilon, Eta and Zeta Aurigae (the Kids) near "Capella". Any help?

The day of exposure is given, but not the time. I seem to have noticed that precise information is often lacking on APOD images: "some weeks ago", "recently".

Holger
The bright star near the middle is indeed Capella. The "Kids" triangle is below-right of it with Epsilon Aur at the upper vertex plainly visible. Eta and Zeta Aur are are at the 7 o'clock position from Epsilon, just above the tree tops, somewhat hidden by twilight and the glow of the NLCs.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Joe Stieber wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 pm
Holger Nielsen wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:08 am A serene picture indeed! I have difficulties in identifying the stars. At first I thought that the bright star in the middle must be Capella and part of Perseus standing at the top right, a familiar summer view here from Denmark. But inspection of the high resolution image (which shows a lot of stars) does not confirm this. For instance I cannot find Epsilon, Eta and Zeta Aurigae (the Kids) near "Capella". Any help?

Holger
The bright star near the middle is indeed Capella. The "Kids" triangle is below-right of it with Epsilon Aur at the upper vertex plainly visible. Eta and Zeta Aur are are at the 7 o'clock position from Epsilon, just above the tree tops, somewhat hidden by twilight and the glow of the NLCs.
Thanks. How's this:
Epsilon, Eta and Zeta Aurigae 'the Kids' near 'Capella'
Epsilon, Eta and Zeta Aurigae 'the Kids' near 'Capella'
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Holger Nielsen
Ensign

Post by Holger Nielsen » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Thanks to Joe Stieber for the identification and johnnydeep for the finding chart. I looked for the Kids much closer to Capella.
Also I can see now that the stars to the right lie in the eastmost part of Perseus.