APOD: A Blue Moon in Exaggerated Colors (2021 Aug 31)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Blue Moon in Exaggerated Colors (2021 Aug 31)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:05 am

Image A Blue Moon in Exaggerated Colors

Explanation: The Moon is normally seen in subtle shades of grey or gold. But small, measurable color differences have been greatly exaggerated to make this telescopic, multicolored, moonscape captured during the Moon's full phase. The different colors are recognized to correspond to real differences in the chemical makeup of the lunar surface. Blue hues reveal titanium rich areas while orange and purple colors show regions relatively poor in titanium and iron. The familiar Sea of Tranquility, or Mare Tranquillitatis, is the blue area toward the upper right. White lines radiate across the orange-hued southern lunar highlands from 85-kilometer wide ray-crater Tycho at bottom right. The full moon that occurred earlier this month could be counted as a seasonal blue moon because it was, unusually, the third of four full moons to occur during northern summer (and hence southern winter). The featured 272-image composite demonstrates that the full Moon is always blue, but usually not blue enough in hue to ooh.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Re: APOD: A Blue Moon in Exaggerated Colors (2021 Aug 31)

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:11 am

FYI : Robert Fedez (FB) is actually Roberto Fernandez (Photographer).

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 am

Oh wow. I had never realized before that the so called seas on the Moon would have a blue color! Kind of obvious though. Except for the Black Sea at top right. Being black.

NaN

Post by NaN » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 am

Cool picture!

Regarding the last sentence: " The featured 272-image composite demonstrates that the full Moon is always blue, but usually not blue enough in hue to ooh. ", is it really so that the blue hue of some of the features can be easily seen through a telescope? I read somewhere that the crater Aristarchus (to the left of the image) is one of the bluest craters. I was wondering, if the human eye would be able to see the hue at all? :|

I've seen to moon through a D=0.8 m telescope before, but could not make out any specific colouration (also not through smaller ones) except grey-reddish-orange maybe. Does someone has a different experience? :ssmile:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:28 pm

Luna_Fedez_960.jpg
Well I guess it looks pretty all gussied up like that; and it
tells us a thing or two of the minerals! 8-)
25-60.jpg
That's a mighty big puppy! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:56 pm

NaN wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 am Cool picture!

Regarding the last sentence: " The featured 272-image composite demonstrates that the full Moon is always blue, but usually not blue enough in hue to ooh. ", is it really so that the blue hue of some of the features can be easily seen through a telescope? I read somewhere that the crater Aristarchus (to the left of the image) is one of the bluest craters. I was wondering, if the human eye would be able to see the hue at all? :|

I've seen to moon through a D=0.8 m telescope before, but could not make out any specific colouration (also not through smaller ones) except grey-reddish-orange maybe. Does someone has a different experience? :ssmile:
The "gold" link from the description shows a few full moon examples with clearly bluish seas, at least to my eyes. But even in those, the non-sea areas look more blue to me!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

rwlott
Ensign

Post by rwlott » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:46 pm

Wow! I learned today that a 'true' blue moon is not the commonly believed 'second full moon in a month,' but rather the 'third full moon of a season with four.' And, as in 1937, this can happen in a calendar year that has only the usual twelve one-a-month full moons, not thirteen. The Sky & Telescope magazine article in the link is quite interesting.

userloser

Post by userloser » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:59 am

The expression "Blue moon" has nothing to do with the moon color, which is quite variable as the humanity has always seen it through the filter of the constantly changing atmosphere.