APOD: Cyclone Paths on Planet Earth (2021 Sep 15)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: APOD: Cyclone Paths on Planet Earth (2021 Sep 15)

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 pm

D. Gus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:50 pm
... the Coriolis effect is at it maximum at the equator, not zero as stated in the write-up. The force from Coriolis is proportional to (ω X r), where ω is the rotation speed and r is the axial distance from the center of rotation. Since the Earth turns on the axis that runs through the poles, the equator is at the maximum distance from this axis, so it gets the maximum Coriolis forces. Conversely, the polar regions have the least Coriolis forces.
The nominal (i.e., horizontal) Coriolis effect is
at it maximum at the poles and zero at the equator.

The "Coriolis force" is proportional to 2m(ω X v), where
ω is the rotation vector and v is the velocity vector.
Art Neuendorffer

VictorBorun
Captain

Re: APOD: Cyclone Paths on Planet Earth (2021 Sep 15)

Post by VictorBorun » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:30 am

neufer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 pm
D. Gus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:50 pm
... the Coriolis effect is at it maximum at the equator, not zero as stated in the write-up. The force from Coriolis is proportional to (ω X r), where ω is the rotation speed and r is the axial distance from the center of rotation. Since the Earth turns on the axis that runs through the poles, the equator is at the maximum distance from this axis, so it gets the maximum Coriolis forces. Conversely, the polar regions have the least Coriolis forces.
The nominal (i.e., horizontal) Coriolis effect is
at it maximum at the poles and zero at the equator.

The "Coriolis force" is proportional to 2m(ω X v), where
ω is the rotation vector and v is the velocity vector.
I once saw a theory attributing cyclons to vertical component of Earth's magnetic field spinning water molecules in rising air masses about the center of mass which is closer to the oxigen 2- than to the charge center of the two hydrogen 1+ ions