APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4479
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:05 am

Image Sun Spot Hill

Explanation: Is this giant orange ball about to roll down that tree-lined hill? No, because the giant orange ball is actually the Sun. Our Solar System's central star was captured rising beyond a hill on Earth twelve days ago complete with a delightfully detailed foreground. The Sun's disk showed five sunspots, quite a lot considering that during the solar minimum in solar activity of the past few years, most days showed no spots. A close look at the hill -- Sierra del Cid in Perter, Spain -- reveals not only silhouetted pine trees, but silhouetted people -- by coincidence three brothers of the photographer. The trees and brothers were about 3.5-kilometers away during the morning of the well-planned, single-exposure image. A dark filter muted the usually brilliant Sun and brought up great detail on the lower sunspots. Within a few minutes, the Sun rose far above the hill, while within a week, the sunspots rotated around the Sun, out of view. The captured scene, however, is now frozen in time for all to enjoy.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

daddyo
Ensign
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:48 am

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by daddyo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:57 am

Looks like it picked up a bit of grit on the way down. Awesome shot!

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6988
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm

SunSpotHill_Coy_2358.jpg
I can see more than 5 sun spots; but the others are very small! What
a beautiful photo; with the people and the wonderful silhouetted
trees!
Kudos to the photographer! 8-)
24434164-7977935-image-a-51_1581071874370.jpg
Very good looking puppy! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18562
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by neufer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(The_Prisoner) wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
<<Rover is a plot device from the 1967 British television program The Prisoner, and was a crucial tool used to keep 'prisoners' from escaping the Village. It was depicted as a floating white balloon that could coerce, and, if necessary, incapacitate or kill recalcitrant inhabitants of the Village. It also had the ability to subdivide. Several aspects of the Rover device were left unexplained and to the imagination of the viewer. The name "Rover" was only used once in the entire series. The novel The Prisoner: Number Two by David McDaniel, based upon the series, uses the name Guardian.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:51 pm

daddyo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:57 am
Looks like it picked up a bit of grit on the way down. Awesome shot!
Or on the way up - the sun is rising.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm
SunSpotHill_Coy_2358.jpg
I can see more than 5 sun spots; but the others are very small! What
a beautiful photo; with the people and the wonderful silhouetted
trees!
...
Seemingly, they're counted in groups. See the "five sunspots" link.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 pm

This reminds me of something...

--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6988
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm
SunSpotHill_Coy_2358.jpg
I can see more than 5 sun spots; but the others are very small! What
a beautiful photo; with the people and the wonderful silhouetted
trees!
...
Seemingly, they're counted in groups. See the "five sunspots" link.
Maybe; but I count them individually! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16219
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:54 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm
SunSpotHill_Coy_2358.jpg
I can see more than 5 sun spots; but the others are very small! What
a beautiful photo; with the people and the wonderful silhouetted
trees!
...
Seemingly, they're counted in groups. See the "five sunspots" link.
Maybe; but I count them individually! :mrgreen:
In general, a sunspot group is multiple sunspots that are the product of the same magnetic flux zone. Usually that's fairly obvious, but when the Sun is active you can get independent sunspots that are very close together, and absent a separate measurement of magnetic fields, might not be able to tell if they are or are not members of the same group.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6988
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:54 pm
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:34 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:54 pm


Seemingly, they're counted in groups. See the "five sunspots" link.
Maybe; but I count them individually! :mrgreen:
In general, a sunspot group is multiple sunspots that are the product of the same magnetic flux zone. Usually that's fairly obvious, but when the Sun is active you can get independent sunspots that are very close together, and absent a separate measurement of magnetic fields, might not be able to tell if they are or are not members of the same group.
OK; I think I can understand That! Thanks Chris!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

muehlner@gmail.com

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by muehlner@gmail.com » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm

This is the first photo I've seen in which the sun is between the viewer and a cloud!

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 pm

muehlner@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm
This is the first photo I've seen in which the sun is between the viewer and a cloud!
Hmm, now that you mention it, just what IS that white wispy stuff to the right of the Sun, and seemingly behind it?! Or is my eye simply deceiving me yet again?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18562
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am

johnnydeep wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 pm
muehlner@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm

This is the first photo I've seen in which the sun is between the viewer and a cloud!
Hmm, now that you mention it, just what IS that white wispy stuff to the right of the Sun, and seemingly behind it?! Or is my eye simply deceiving me yet again?
Morning ground fog in the process of being blown off the hill top when the photo was taken :?:
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm

neufer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am
johnnydeep wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 pm
muehlner@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:34 pm

This is the first photo I've seen in which the sun is between the viewer and a cloud!
Hmm, now that you mention it, just what IS that white wispy stuff to the right of the Sun, and seemingly behind it?! Or is my eye simply deceiving me yet again?
Morning ground fog in the process of being blown off the hill top when the photo was taken :?:
So it just happens to exactly match up with the edge of the disk of the Sun and not overlap it at all nor leave any space between? It almost looks like cotton batting and the Sun is resting on it!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16219
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm
neufer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am
johnnydeep wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 pm


Hmm, now that you mention it, just what IS that white wispy stuff to the right of the Sun, and seemingly behind it?! Or is my eye simply deceiving me yet again?
Morning ground fog in the process of being blown off the hill top when the photo was taken :?:
So it just happens to exactly match up with the edge of the disk of the Sun and not overlap it at all nor leave any space between? It almost looks like cotton batting and the Sun is resting on it!
I'd suggest that we simply can't see the mist in front of the Sun. It's too thin and the Sun is too bright.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18562
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by neufer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:27 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm
neufer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am
johnnydeep wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 pm

Hmm, now that you mention it, just what IS that white wispy stuff to the right of the Sun, and seemingly behind it?! Or is my eye simply deceiving me yet again?
Morning ground fog in the process of being blown off the hill top when the photo was taken :?:
So it just happens to exactly match up with the edge of the disk of the Sun and not overlap it at all nor leave any space between? It almost looks like cotton batting and the Sun is resting on it!
Oh, Joffydeep, you and your visions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4JgsWxFY2E&t=180s
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:58 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:12 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm
neufer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am

Morning ground fog in the process of being blown off the hill top when the photo was taken :?:
So it just happens to exactly match up with the edge of the disk of the Sun and not overlap it at all nor leave any space between? It almost looks like cotton batting and the Sun is resting on it!
I'd suggest that we simply can't see the mist in front of the Sun. It's too thin and the Sun is too bright.
I guess that'll works. And the lower limb of the Sun is actually a little darker on the left, suggesting something is obscuring it.
Last edited by johnnydeep on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:58 pm

neufer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:27 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm
neufer wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:34 am

Morning ground fog in the process of being blown off the hill top when the photo was taken :?:
So it just happens to exactly match up with the edge of the disk of the Sun and not overlap it at all nor leave any space between? It almost looks like cotton batting and the Sun is resting on it!
Oh, Joffydeep, you and your visions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4JgsWxFY2E&t=180s
I really need to watch that movie some day.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

varadinagypal
Ensign
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by varadinagypal » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Could you please retract this fake, or at least edit the description? Or could anyone explain why the image contains a solar disk under the horizon? Thank you. Printscreen from the APOD main page, adjusted the gamma.

Image

Full image -- but please do repeat after me, adjust the gamma and see the Sun below the horizon: https://csillagtura.ro/temp/printscreen1.jpg

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:18 pm

varadinagypal wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:39 pm
Could you please retract this fake, or at least edit the description? Or could anyone explain why the image contains a solar disk under the horizon? Thank you. Printscreen from the APOD main page, adjusted the gamma.

Image

Full image -- but please do repeat after me, adjust the gamma and see the Sun below the horizon: https://csillagtura.ro/temp/printscreen1.jpg
Hmm. That's certainly interesting! I confirmed what you've found (using color adjustment in GIMP), but I'm not enough of an image processing expert to know what it means: does it really indicate some actual hidden - by (not necessarily nefarious!) image processing effect - sun surface behind the hill, or is something else going on? Here's my pic:

sunspots and gamma.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

varadinagypal
Ensign
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by varadinagypal » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:25 pm

Fellow amateur astronomer, Gábor HŐDÖR spent some more time with this ... work of art.

Image

@APOD please think this through.

varadinagypal
Ensign
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by varadinagypal » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:07 pm

Also, if you check out the little people and the tree, the light is coming from the left. ffs

Image

varadinagypal
Ensign
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by varadinagypal » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm

Is there a more official way to report fakes?

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:54 pm

varadinagypal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm
Is there a more official way to report fakes?
Well, someone at APOD chose this picture and wrote the text, so contacting them might get a response. There are two possibilities:
Authors & editors: Robert Nemiroff (MTU) & Jerry Bonnell (UMCP)
There's also the original photographer - who happens to be a native Spanish speaker, but likely can at least read and write English - and you could email him at jordilc86@gmail.com. His Facebook page is here - https://www.facebook.com/jordilopezphotography

As for why none of the other regulars are responding to your concern, I can't say. But I am at least still interested in what others have to say.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

varadinagypal
Ensign
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: APOD: Sun Spot Hill (2021 Sep 21)

Post by varadinagypal » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:16 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:54 pm
varadinagypal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm
Is there a more official way to report fakes?
Well, someone at APOD chose this picture and wrote the text, so contacting them might get a response. There are two possibilities:
Authors & editors: Robert Nemiroff (MTU) & Jerry Bonnell (UMCP)
There's also the original photographer - who happens to be a native Spanish speaker, but likely can at least read and write English - and you could email him at jordilc86@gmail.com. His Facebook page is here - https://www.facebook.com/jordilopezphotography

As for why none of the other regulars are responding to your concern, I can't say. But I am at least still interested in what others have to say.
Well, the original photographer lectured me on facebook, right under the EPOD photo where we (mostly Hungarians*) tore his >>work of art<< apart. I wrote to the EPOD page owners, as they have published my work in 2013, so I believe they may trust my words as much to at least look into the issue as seriously as I pointed it out. There is no such trust built up with APOD, on the contrary, I often criticize because APOD goes, in my opinion, too much for eye candies and cuties, in detriment of astro-value, as, quite ironically, this APOD issue also demonstrates.

-----------
*I think the Hungarian astrophoto community can be viewed as a school, in the academic/artistic sense, but that is off topic here.