APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4481
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:05 am

Image Fireball over Lake Louise

Explanation: What makes a meteor a fireball? First of all, everyone agrees that a fireball is an exceptionally bright meteor. Past that, the International Astronomical Union defines a fireball as a meteor brighter than apparent magnitude -4, which corresponds (roughly) to being brighter than any planet -- as well as bright enough to cast a human-noticeable shadow. Pictured, an astrophotographer taking a long-duration sky image captured by accident the brightest meteor he had ever seen. Clearly a fireball, the disintegrating space-rock created a trail so bright it turned night into day for about two seconds earlier this month. The fireball has been artificially dimmed in the featured image to bring up foreground Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada. Although fireballs are rare, many people have been lucky enough to see them. If you see a fireball, you can report it. If more than one person recorded an image, the fireball might be traceable back to the Solar System body from which it was ejected.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

User avatar
Ann
4725 Å
Posts: 11656
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:33 am

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:29 am


Wow, this is almost a Yucatán moment! :shock: 🦖🦕

By the way, how do we know that the dinosaurs weren't too smart?

Answer:
They weren't able to destroy their environment. It took an asteroid to do that.
Ann
Color Commentator

User avatar
alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound
Posts: 980
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by alter-ego » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 am

Impressive shot, but I can't help but look at this and shiver.
Short story, when I was way younger, my brother and I rolled a canoe in Lake Louise during a hot, sunny, mid-summer day. We were across the lake and maybe 50' or more from the shore, and by the time we pulled the canoe and stuff to shore, we aching all over. This picture at night makes the lake seem even colder, brrrrr.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by JohnD » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:52 am

Ann,
I believe that a meteor big enough to go fireball will be at least one meter across. The Yucatan object was 10,000 to 15,000 meters wide. The Lake Louise object was therefore 5,000 to 15,000 times smaller. The dinosaurs could have continued to sleep easy. For then, anyway.
JOhn

Tszabeau

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Tszabeau » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:40 am

I hope that’s not the one that fell through the woman’s roof and came to rest on her pillow. On second thought…

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:40 am

FireballAlberta_Qin_1080.jpg
Another rock meets it's maker! I've never seen a fireball; nor do I
care to! :shock:
8121c0291fa14d1fe52b9eb007741cac.jpg
We've seen this kitty before! This time she's watching a fireball! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

farlightteam
Ensign
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by farlightteam » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:31 pm

A very nice

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18567
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:44 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Louise,_Alberta#Government wrote:


:arrow: On dirty dusty ground, a black and white target practice poster of a bipedal insect-like creature stands, riddled with bullet holes. Barbed wire runs behind the poster and a large circular spaceship hovers in the background.

Lake Louise is administered by Improvement District No. 9.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16226
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:52 pm

JohnD wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:52 am
Ann,
I believe that a meteor big enough to go fireball will be at least one meter across. The Yucatan object was 10,000 to 15,000 meters wide. The Lake Louise object was therefore 5,000 to 15,000 times smaller. The dinosaurs could have continued to sleep easy. For then, anyway.
JOhn
This might be seen as an "average" bright fireball. I doubt its parent body was anywhere near a meter in diameter.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

oostef

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by oostef » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Have any guess where the meteorite has landed?

'An explosion in the sky': Golden, B.C., woman nearly hit by meteorite after it crashed through her ceiling

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/an-explosion-in-t ... -1.5619818

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm

I suspect the Fireball was pint sized!
Fireball.jpg
Because if I was out all night
Ignite.jpg
I'd need something to "Ignite the Night" :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Lancaster, England

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by JohnD » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:41 pm

oostef wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Have any guess where the meteorite has landed?

'An explosion in the sky': Golden, B.C., woman nearly hit by meteorite after it crashed through her ceiling

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/an-explosion-in-t ... -1.5619818
quote the Apod blurb, " If more than one person recorded an image, the fireball might be traceable back to the Solar System body from which it was ejected." and to where it might have landed? Or could this help? (linked to from blurb) https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/fireballs/

ilikespace80085
Asternaut
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by ilikespace80085 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:52 pm

this water looks very chilly. BRRRRRRRR. :brr: :brr: :brr:

EdJen
Asternaut
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by EdJen » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm

https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/mete ... ght-shock/

Link to an article of a piece of the meteor going through a roof and landing on a pillow in Golden BC

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:24 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:52 pm
JohnD wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:52 am
Ann,
I believe that a meteor big enough to go fireball will be at least one meter across. The Yucatan object was 10,000 to 15,000 meters wide. The Lake Louise object was therefore 5,000 to 15,000 times smaller. The dinosaurs could have continued to sleep easy. For then, anyway.
JOhn
This might be seen as an "average" bright fireball. I doubt its parent body was anywhere near a meter in diameter.
For the time it lasted, it could have been a 3mm marble and I agree with Chris (if it had had 1mt it would have detonation and it would have hit the ground)

John Spirko

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by John Spirko » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Here's a report from nearby Golden, Alberta (83 kilometers from Lake Louise) about a woman who woke up with a meteor fragment on her pillow:


https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/mete ... ght-shock/

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 pm

alter-ego wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 am
Impressive shot, but I can't help but look at this and shiver.
Short story, when I was way younger, my brother and I rolled a canoe in Lake Louise during a hot, sunny, mid-summer day. We were across the lake and maybe 50' or more from the shore, and by the time we pulled the canoe and stuff to shore, we aching all over. This picture at night makes the lake seem even colder, brrrrr.
Is "rolling a canoe" a thing, or did you mean that you "rowed a canoe"? Also, 50 feet of rowing doesn't seem too difficult or that far. There must be more to this story...
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16226
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 pm

johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 pm
alter-ego wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 am
Impressive shot, but I can't help but look at this and shiver.
Short story, when I was way younger, my brother and I rolled a canoe in Lake Louise during a hot, sunny, mid-summer day. We were across the lake and maybe 50' or more from the shore, and by the time we pulled the canoe and stuff to shore, we aching all over. This picture at night makes the lake seem even colder, brrrrr.
Is "rolling a canoe" a thing, or did you mean that you "rowed a canoe"? Also, 50 feet of rowing doesn't seem too difficult or that far. There must be more to this story...
He means the bottom of the canoe became the top. And the occupants got dunked. I assumed they swam. It is possible to get back into a canoe you've rolled, but it's tricky and requires practice.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
johnnydeep
Commander
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 pm
johnnydeep wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:23 pm
alter-ego wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 am
Impressive shot, but I can't help but look at this and shiver.
Short story, when I was way younger, my brother and I rolled a canoe in Lake Louise during a hot, sunny, mid-summer day. We were across the lake and maybe 50' or more from the shore, and by the time we pulled the canoe and stuff to shore, we aching all over. This picture at night makes the lake seem even colder, brrrrr.
Is "rolling a canoe" a thing, or did you mean that you "rowed a canoe"? Also, 50 feet of rowing doesn't seem too difficult or that far. There must be more to this story...
He means the bottom of the canoe became the top. And the occupants got dunked. I assumed they swam. It is possible to get back into a canoe you've rolled, but it's tricky and requires practice.
Ah. That makes a lot more sense. So "rolling a canoe" is indeed a thing, just not a very good thing!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 pm

oostef wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:42 pm
Have any guess where the meteorite has landed?

'An explosion in the sky': Golden, B.C., woman nearly hit by meteorite after it crashed through her ceiling

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/an-explosion-in-t ... -1.5619818
The lady owns a piece of Heaven; I'd keep it too; or sell it for a tidy sum!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18567
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

The princess and the Comet fragment

Post by neufer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 pm
oostef wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:42 pm


'An explosion in the sky': Golden, B.C., woman nearly hit by meteorite after it crashed through her ceiling.
The lady owns a piece of Heaven; I'd keep it too; or sell it for a tidy sum!
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
orin stepanek
Plutopian
Posts: 6990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Nebraska

Re: The princess and the Comet fragment

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:15 pm

neufer wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:08 pm
Click to play embedded YouTube video.
orin stepanek wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 pm
oostef wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:42 pm


'An explosion in the sky': Golden, B.C., woman nearly hit by meteorite after it crashed through her ceiling.
The lady owns a piece of Heaven; I'd keep it too; or sell it for a tidy sum!
:lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

markb212
Asternaut
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:28 pm

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by markb212 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:54 am

EdJen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm
https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/mete ... ght-shock/

Link to an article of a piece of the meteor going through a roof and landing on a pillow in Golden BC
Did anyone notice that Ms. Hamilton was apparently asked if she had "plans to take up astrology ... "? Sigh. Depressing. Maybe the questioner considered horoscopes (horrorscopes?) a legitimate way to predict encounters with meteors; but probably not.

Still, it's interesting to think her rock might have caused the fireball over Lake Louise.

Mark B.

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 16226
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 am

markb212 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:54 am
EdJen wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm
https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/mete ... ght-shock/

Link to an article of a piece of the meteor going through a roof and landing on a pillow in Golden BC
Did anyone notice that Ms. Hamilton was apparently asked if she had "plans to take up astrology ... "? Sigh. Depressing. Maybe the questioner considered horoscopes (horrorscopes?) a legitimate way to predict encounters with meteors; but probably not.

Still, it's interesting to think her rock might have caused the fireball over Lake Louise.

Mark B.
It would be more accurate to say that the meteorite that fell through her roof was a remnant of the body that created the meteor. Probably not the only one.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18567
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: APOD: Fireball over Lake Louise (2021 Oct 12)

Post by neufer » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:07 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 am
markb212 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:54 am

Did anyone notice that Ms. Hamilton was apparently asked if she had "plans to take up astrology ... "? Sigh. Depressing. Maybe the questioner considered horoscopes (horrorscopes?) a legitimate way to predict encounters with meteors; but probably not. Still, it's interesting to think her rock might have caused the fireball over Lake Louise.
It would be more accurate to say that the meteorite that fell through her roof was a remnant of the body that created the meteor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illustrated_Man wrote:
Ray Bradbury's Kaleidoscope: <<The crew of a space ship drift helplessly through space after their craft malfunctions. The story describes the final thoughts and conversations of the crew members as they face their death. The narrator bitterly reflects on his life and feels he has accomplished nothing worthwhile ("I'll burn like a meteor. I wonder if anyone'll see me"). His final thought is a wish that his life would at least be worth something to someone else. As he falls through Earth's atmosphere and is incinerated, he appears as a shooting star to a child in Illinois. "Look! A shooting star!" And mommy says "Make a wish!"

- The Illustrated Man is a 1951 collection of 18 science fiction short stories by American writer Ray Bradbury. A recurring theme throughout the stories is the conflict of the cold mechanics of technology and the psychology of people. >>
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=horror wrote:
<<horror (n.) early 14c., "feeling of disgust;" directly from Latin horror "dread, veneration, religious awe," a figurative use, literally "a shaking, trembling (as with cold or fear), shudder, chill," from horrere "to bristle with fear, shudder.">>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horoscope wrote:
<<The Latin word horoscopus, ultimately from Greek ὡρόσκοπος "nativity, horoscope", "observer of the hour [of birth]", from ὥρα "time, hour" and σκόπος "observer, watcher". In Middle English texts from the 11th century, the word appears in the Latin form and is anglicized to horoscope in Early Modern English. In Greek, ὡρόσκοπος in the sense of "ascendant" – not only of the time of someone's birth, but more generally of any significant event – and ὡροσκοπία "observation of the ascendant" is in use since Ptolemy.>>
Art Neuendorffer