APOD: 3D Bennu (2021 Oct 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: 3D Bennu (2021 Oct 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 am

Image 3D Bennu

Explanation: Put on your red/blue glasses and float next to asteroid 101955 Bennu. Shaped like a spinning toy top with boulders littering its rough surface, the tiny Solar System world is about one Empire State Building (less than 500 meters) across. Frames used to construct this 3D anaglyph were taken by PolyCam on the OSIRIS_REx spacecraft on December 3, 2018 from a distance of about 80 kilometers. With a sample from the asteroid's rocky surface on board, OSIRIS_REx departed Bennu's vicinity this May and is now enroute to planet Earth. The robotic spacecraft is scheduled to return the sample to Earth in September 2023.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: 3D Bennu (2021 Oct 23)

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am

ana03BennuVantuyne1024c.jpg
With my red; blue glasses on; I noticed that if I move my head from
left to right that the planetoid appears to be moving! Must have
something to do with the 3-D effect! :shock:
Thanks for the photo!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:23 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am ana03BennuVantuyne1024c.jpg
Thanks for the photo!
Indeed, that is the effect

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:23 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am
https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/artwork/eyes-in-painting-follow.htm wrote:
Why do the eyes in paintings seem to follow you sometimes?
By: Josh Clark

<<Modern artists have a command of linear perspective, and they use the interplay of light and shadow to create paintings that look almost as if they're alive [e.g., 3D]. But it's impossible to get past the fact that the medium in which a painter works exists in only two dimensions. Ultimately all depth created through perspective and light and shadow is a trick, an optical illusion, and this illusion gives rise to other illusions -- including eyes in a painting following you. Essentially, what is going on is that the light, shadow and perspective depicted in a painting are fixed, meaning they don't shift. Remember when your friend stared forward and you walked from side to side? His or her eyes didn't follow you because the light and shadow, as well as perspective you see, actually change. Since the elements of perspective and light and shadow are fixed in a painting and don't change, they look pretty much the same no matter from what angle you look at it [source: Guardian].>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:03 pm

neufer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:02 pm
Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:23 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am
https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/artwork/eyes-in-painting-follow.htm wrote:
Why do the eyes in paintings seem to follow you sometimes?
By: Josh Clark

<<Modern artists have a command of linear perspective, and they use the interplay of light and shadow to create paintings that look almost as if they're alive [e.g., 3D]. But it's impossible to get past the fact that the medium in which a painter works exists in only two dimensions. Ultimately all depth created through perspective and light and shadow is a trick, an optical illusion, and this illusion gives rise to other illusions -- including eyes in a painting following you. Essentially, what is going on is that the light, shadow and perspective depicted in a painting are fixed, meaning they don't shift. Remember when your friend stared forward and you walked from side to side? His or her eyes didn't follow you because the light and shadow, as well as perspective you see, actually change. Since the elements of perspective and light and shadow are fixed in a painting and don't change, they look pretty much the same no matter from what angle you look at it [source: Guardian].>>
Makes sense! I thought that eyes following was a part of creepy movies!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer