Animalia

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Just sitting here looking at the APOD and had visitors.
IMG_1962.JPG
But with hummingbirds, two's a crowd. :ssmile:
IMG_1971.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Orca
Commander
Posts: 504
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Animalia

Post by Orca » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:24 am

Great shots, Fred.

I have often wondered about the aggressiveness of humming birds. We have a large Crocosmia in the backyard that attracts a lot of humming birds. If a second bird shows up while the first is feeding, a fight invariably ensues. There are plenty of flowers to go around if they'd just ignore one another. It seems like they'd burn what ever energy they gained from the flowers fighting for domination of the area. It doesn't make sense (at least to me) from an evolutionary perspective.

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:20 pm

Orca wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:24 am Great shots, Fred.

I have often wondered about the aggressiveness of humming birds. We have a large Crocosmia in the backyard that attracts a lot of humming birds. If a second bird shows up while the first is feeding, a fight invariably ensues. There are plenty of flowers to go around if they'd just ignore one another. It seems like they'd burn what ever energy they gained from the flowers fighting for domination of the area. It doesn't make sense (at least to me) from an evolutionary perspective.
They do perch quite a bit of the time. Hummingbird inaction.
IMG_2324 (2).JPG
IMG_2336 (2).JPG
Then they're back at it. Hummingbird in action!
IMG_2396 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:08 am

Feeding the birds, you attract "fiends" with benefits.
IMG_2588.JPG
Looking around
IMG_2589.JPG
it's not me who gets the benefit! :|
IMG_2590 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Ann might like these.
IMG_2848 (3).JPG
The blue jays here
IMG_2855 (2).JPG
are steller!
IMG_2871 (2).JPG
:ssmile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm

While on a recent trip to Grant's Pass Oregon, we noticed a deer sleeping below our room.
IMG_7147.JPG
We didn't see his friend taking snooze near-by. After waking up, it was time for a little grooming.
IMG_7214.JPG
Then some useful fun before moving on. :ssmile:
IMG_7244.JPG
Wish we'd all get along so well. :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 18805
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: Animalia

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:30 pm
Wish we'd all get along so well. :yes:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/lock%20horns wrote:
Synonyms for lock horns: altercate, argue, argufy, bicker, brabble, brawl, controvert, dispute, fall out, fight, hassle, jar, quarrel, quibble, row, scrap, spat, squabble, tiff, wrangle

Words Related to lock horns: challenge, dare, defy, clash, contend, contest, tangle, cavil, fuss, nitpick, consider, debate, discuss, kick, object, protest

Phrases Synonymous with lock horns: bandy words, butt heads, mix it up


Near Antonyms for lock horns: coexist, get along, accept, agree, assent, concur, consent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilkenny_cats wrote:
<<The Kilkenny cats are a fabled pair of cats from County Kilkenny in Ireland, who fought each other so ferociously that only their tails remained at the end of the battle. Often the absurd implication is that they have eaten each other. In the nineteenth century the Kilkenny cats were a common simile for any conflict likely to ruin both combatants. The original story is attested from 1807 as a simple joke or Irish bull.>>
Art Neuendorffer

JackWhite
Asternaut
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:11 am

Re: Animalia

Post by JackWhite » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 am

Fred the Cat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm Just sitting here looking at the APOD and had visitors.
IMG_1962.JPG
But with hummingbirds, two's a crowd. :ssmile:
IMG_1971.JPG
Great shots. I love birds, especially these rare pieces with this quality (we do not have these in our region)

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:02 pm

JackWhite wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 am
Fred the Cat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm Just sitting here looking at the APOD and had visitors.
IMG_1962.JPG
But with hummingbirds, two's a crowd. :ssmile:
IMG_1971.JPG
Great shots. I love birds, especially these rare pieces with this quality (we do not have these in our region)
Thank you! We do too. While watching the deer we were entertained by a pair of woodpeckers.
IMG_7124.JPG
They seemed to be eating grubs but were awfully successful.
IMG_7108.JPG
Perhaps they were Acorn Woodpeckers?
IMG_7125.JPG
Many from the link look very similar. :thumb_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

JackWhite
Asternaut
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:11 am

Re: Animalia

Post by JackWhite » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:02 pm
JackWhite wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 am
Fred the Cat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm Just sitting here looking at the APOD and had visitors.
IMG_1962.JPG
But with hummingbirds, two's a crowd. :ssmile:
IMG_1971.JPG
Great shots. I love birds, especially these rare pieces with this quality (we do not have these in our region)
Thank you! We do too. While watching the deer we were entertained by a pair of woodpeckers.
IMG_7124.JPG
They seemed to be eating grubs but were awfully successful.
IMG_7108.JPG
Perhaps they were Acorn Woodpeckers?
IMG_7125.JPG
Many from the link look very similar. :thumb_up:
Wow, thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures again. A pleasure for the eyes!

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:43 pm

JackWhite wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:23 pm
Fred the Cat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:02 pm
JackWhite wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:08 am

Great shots. I love birds, especially these rare pieces with this quality (we do not have these in our region)
Thank you! We do too. While watching the deer we were entertained by a pair of woodpeckers.
IMG_7124.JPG
They seemed to be eating grubs but were awfully successful.
IMG_7108.JPG
Perhaps they were Acorn Woodpeckers?
IMG_7125.JPG
Many from the link look very similar. :thumb_up:
Wow, thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures again. A pleasure for the eyes!
We were in Grant's Pass to fish the Rogue.
IMG_7316 (2).JPG
I was fishing so my wife was in charge of photography.
IMG_7385 (2).JPG
I'd say she picked it up quite well! :yes:
IMG_7704 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Memaw31
Asternaut
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:57 pm

Re: Animalia

Post by Memaw31 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:05 pm

Insects and Fishes please

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:36 pm

IMG_7432.JPG
Fishing was good
IMG_7602.JPG
and tasty
IMG_7707.JPG
but too late in the season for insects! :thumb_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:25 am

Something about hummingbirds make them photogenic.
IMG_5205 (2).JPG
Maybe because I'm jealous of their metabolism. :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:32 pm

Just got back from Idaho’s Challis National Forrest’s White Cloud – Boulder Chain Lakes area.
IMG_5410 (2).JPG
Like today’s APOD we found an eagle too. I have a newfound respect for people who ride horses – a second time. :cowboy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

User avatar
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman
Posts: 17018
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: Guffey, Colorado, USA

Re: Animalia

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:03 pm

Out with one of my animals yesterday (lots of browns and brookies around Chili's feet). Not along: the two Great Danes, four cats, three other horses, or the dozen goats.
_
PXL_20220812_011828101p.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

*****************************************
Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

User avatar
Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
AKA: Ron
Location: Eagle, Idaho

Re: Animalia

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:39 am

I'll never look that comfortable on a horse
Ron on Horse (2).jpg
but once you get on top, the view's not bad.
White Cloud Panorama.jpg
After a bit more hiking. :thumb_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"