APOD: 3D Bennu (2023 Mar 11)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: 3D Bennu (2023 Mar 11)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:07 am

Image 3D Bennu

Explanation: Put on your red/blue glasses and float next to asteroid 101955 Bennu. Shaped like a spinning toy top with boulders littering its rough surface, the tiny Solar System world is about one Empire State Building (less than 500 meters) across. Frames used to construct this 3D anaglyph were taken by PolyCam on the OSIRIS_REx spacecraft on December 3, 2018 from a distance of about 80 kilometers. With a sample from the asteroid's rocky surface on board, OSIRIS_REx departed Bennu's vicinity in May of 2021 and is now enroute to planet Earth. The robotic spacecraft is scheduled to return the sample to Earth this September.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: 3D Bennu (2023 Mar 11)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:27 pm

Milanese meat breaded with panko

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:12 pm

De-anaglyphed version for those without glasses or who simply prefer this viewing method. Configured for cross-eyed viewing.
_
de-anaglyph Bennu.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Where does Bennu fit in the lineup :?:

Quite a way before they roundup. Todays is shaped like a diamond in the sky. :ssmile:
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

zendae
Ensign

Post by zendae » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:12 pm De-anaglyphed version for those without glasses or who simply prefer this viewing method. Configured for cross-eyed viewing.
_
de-anaglyph Bennu.jpg
Thanks! It worked perfectly. I always miss these because I don't have the glasses.

DonB312
Ensign

Post by DonB312 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:44 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:12 pm De-anaglyphed version for those without glasses or who simply prefer this viewing method. Configured for cross-eyed viewing.
Thank you, Chris!

I really appreciate you providing these. Whenever an APOD is an anaglyph image, the first think I look for in the discussion is your version for crossed eyes (and/or wide eyes).
Don

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm

DonB312 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:44 pm
Thank you, Chris!

I really appreciate you providing these. Whenever an APOD is an anaglyph image, the first think I look for in the discussion is your version for crossed eyes (and/or wide eyes).
Me too, and I was able to see the 3D effect just fine after Chris described how to view it! (I had been unable to get my eyes to see these prior to that).
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:03 pm

Wow, that "with boulders" link to the NASA YouTube video "Tour of Asteroid Bennu" was unbelievably detailed! Hard to believe it's even real. But, wow!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:13 pm

A piece of Bennu coming for study! I hope we learn a lot from this asteroid!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:55 am

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:13 pm A piece of Bennu coming for study! I hope we learn a lot from this asteroid!
The first papers are coming out regarding the analysis of the material returned by the Hayabusa2 spacecraft from Ryugu. The probe collected 5g of particles. From that tiny sample, this is what they've figured so far: (ref: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adh2109)
Together, these studies constrain the history of the Ryugu material. Some of the organic molecules formed in the interstellar medium, so they predate the Solar System. About 2 million years (Myr) after the Solar System began to form, some material in its outer region collapsed under gravity to form a planetesimal, known as Ryugu’s parent body. About 3 Myr later, the decay of radioactive elements raised its internal temperature high enough to melt frozen water. The water reacted with the rock for a few million years, until the temperature fell again. Those aqueous alteration reactions modified the mineralogy and formed additional organic molecules. After about a billion years, an impact on the parent body ejected material into space; some of that rubble reaccumulated under gravity to form Ryugu. About 5 Myr ago, gravitational perturbations caused Ryugu to migrate into its current near-Earth orbit. A lot can be learned from just a few grams.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:36 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:55 am
orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:13 pm A piece of Bennu coming for study! I hope we learn a lot from this asteroid!
The first papers are coming out regarding the analysis of the material returned by the Hayabusa2 spacecraft from Ryugu. The probe collected 5g of particles. From that tiny sample, this is what they've figured so far: (ref: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adh2109)
Together, these studies constrain the history of the Ryugu material. Some of the organic molecules formed in the interstellar medium, so they predate the Solar System. About 2 million years (Myr) after the Solar System began to form, some material in its outer region collapsed under gravity to form a planetesimal, known as Ryugu’s parent body. About 3 Myr later, the decay of radioactive elements raised its internal temperature high enough to melt frozen water. The water reacted with the rock for a few million years, until the temperature fell again. Those aqueous alteration reactions modified the mineralogy and formed additional organic molecules. After about a billion years, an impact on the parent body ejected material into space; some of that rubble reaccumulated under gravity to form Ryugu. About 5 Myr ago, gravitational perturbations caused Ryugu to migrate into its current near-Earth orbit. A lot can be learned from just a few grams.
How can they state with any certainty a time frame of a mere 2 Myr after the Solar System formed? That happened 4.5 Byr ago!
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:49 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:36 pm
How can they state with any certainty a time frame of a mere 2 Myr after the Solar System formed? That happened 4.5 Byr ago!
Models of planetary system formation, I imagine. But I haven't read the papers yet. There's a stack of them.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:54 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:49 pm

Models of planetary system formation, I imagine. But I haven't read the papers yet. There's a stack of them.
Maybe, but it still seems like an impossibly precise fraction of the overall time scale: 2/4500.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:57 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:54 pm

Maybe, but it still seems like an impossibly precise fraction of the overall time scale: 2/4500.
I suspect that's because you're viewing it as an interpolation from now, as opposed to from the beginning. Like if I said "you started developing your own antibodies when you were two months old" as opposed to "when you were a fraction of a percent of your current age".
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:57 pm
I suspect that's because you're viewing it as an interpolation from now, as opposed to from the beginning. Like if I said "you started developing your own antibodies when you were two months old" as opposed to "when you were a fraction of a percent of your current age".
But that would imply that solar system formation is as well regulated and tightly controlled a process as embryonic or fetal development. Is that really true?
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:13 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:09 pm

But that would imply that solar system formation is as well regulated and tightly controlled a process as embryonic or fetal development. Is that really true?
I think that between dating, computer models, and observations of planetary system formation elsewhere we have a pretty good idea of what was going on for the first few million years of our nascent solar system.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:25 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:13 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:09 pm
I think that between dating, computer models, and observations of planetary system formation elsewhere we have a pretty good idea of what was going on for the first few million years of our nascent solar system.
In an idealized scenario perhaps, but in the particular scenario that gave rise to our current solar system? Still hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it. (PS - I haven't read all those papers either! :ssmile:)
--