APOD: Meteor Shower: Perseids from Perseus (2023 Aug 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Meteor Shower: Perseids from Perseus (2023 Aug 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:05 am

Image Meteor Shower: Perseids from Perseus

Explanation: This is a good week to see meteors. Comet dust will rain down on planet Earth, streaking through dark skies during peak nights of the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. The featured composite image was taken during the 2018 Perseids from the Poloniny Dark Sky Park in Slovakia. The dome of the observatory in the foreground is on the grounds of Kolonica Observatory. Although the comet dust particles travel parallel to each other, the resulting shower meteors clearly seem to radiate from a single point on the sky in the eponymous constellation Perseus. The radiant effect is due to perspective, as the parallel tracks appear to converge at a distance, like train tracks. The Perseid Meteor Shower is expected to reach its highest peak on Saturday after midnight. Since a crescent Moon will rise only very late that night, cloudless skies will be darker than usual, making a high number of faint meteors potentially visible this year.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

daddyo
Science Officer

Re: APOD: Meteor Shower: Perseids from Perseus (2023 Aug 09)

Post by daddyo » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:17 am

Really nice composite.

Is anyone familiar with software or script that’s good for detecting meteors in a captured video?

randomuser

Post by randomuser » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:19 am

Hi
Try UFO capture soft
https://sonotaco.com/soft/e_index.html
BR
Martin

Bartolo
Asternaut

Post by Bartolo » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:18 pm

The meteor shower seems to radiate from a central point, but actually radiates towards a central point: Earth's.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:42 pm

Bartolo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:18 pm The meteor shower seems to radiate from a central point, but actually radiates towards a central point: Earth's.
What do you mean by that? The Earth's gravity attracts the cometary debris particles when they get close enough, but the debris itself is in orbit around the Sun.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:08 pm

Perseids18_Horalek_960.jpg
There's a lot of junk in orbit from these comets that come and visit
the solar system! I'm just glad that they are very small! :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Bartolo
Asternaut

Post by Bartolo » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:44 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:42 pm What do you mean by that? The Earth's gravity attracts the cometary debris particles when they get close enough, but the debris itself is in orbit around the Sun.
I'm only talking about the debris entering the atmosphere. Do the trajectories tend to be parallel to each other, or perpendicular to Earth's surface? Slight difference.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:06 am

Bartolo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:44 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:42 pm What do you mean by that? The Earth's gravity attracts the cometary debris particles when they get close enough, but the debris itself is in orbit around the Sun.
I'm only talking about the debris entering the atmosphere. Do the trajectories tend to be parallel to each other, or perpendicular to Earth's surface? Slight difference.
The trajectories in the atmosphere are largely parallel to each other. There is some effect of Earth's gravity on the body, bending it slightly toward the Earth, which shifts the apparent radiant slightly (called zenith attraction). It's something we correct for when working backwards from meteor trails to parent body orbits. But the substantial component of the meteor path lies fairly close to its original path. So to a first order and reasonable approximation, we can consider all the meteors to be in parallel paths until they burn up. Their angle with respect to the surface depends on where they intersect the atmosphere- perpendicular for meteors centered on the planet, parallel for grazing meteors.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:21 am

I very much appreciate the learned discussions between Johnny and Chris, but I have nothing to add there, so let me add the pretty pictures! :D

APOD 9 August 2023 annotated.png

Like I said, pretty! :D

Does anyone know what that bright orange light near bottom left could be? Is it by any chance Mars?

Ann
Color Commentator

daddyo
Science Officer

Post by daddyo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:21 am

randomuser wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:19 am Hi
Try UFO capture soft
https://sonotaco.com/soft/e_index.html
BR
Martin
Thanks!! Going to try it on this weekend’s shower.

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:11 am

Ann wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:21 am I very much appreciate the learned discussions between Johnny and Chris, but I have nothing to add there, so let me add the pretty pictures! :D

APOD 9 August 2023 annotated.png

Like I said, pretty! :D

Does anyone know what that bright orange light near bottom left could be? Is it by any chance Mars?

Ann
Using Stellarium again, I went to Slovakia in August 2018.
photo_2023-08-10_12-40-15.jpg
So yes, It is Mars!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:02 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:21 am I very much appreciate the learned discussions between Johnny and Chris, but I have nothing to add there, so let me add the pretty pictures! :D
Ann
Well, Chris' contribution was indeed learned, but mine was merely to add more context to further the dialog. :wink:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}