APOD: A Season of Saturn (2023 Aug 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
johnnydeep
Commodore

Re: APOD: A Season of Saturn (2023 Aug 25)

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 pm

andyc wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:19 am Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's an honour to get a second APOD :)
@Ann, some very interesting info there - colour can be a thorny challenge in imaging and processing (the rings seem notably yellower in Cassini data than they do in amateur images for example, and clearly was a challenge for the space missions back in the day.
@dergolem, you're very welcome!
@johnnydeep the hexagon is relatively straightforward to image with modern techniques and equipment, but it was only discovered by Voyager in 1981. As only the north pole has a hexagon, and it's only in good view for maybe eight years of a Saturn orbit (roughly 2013-2020 on Chris Go's image archive for example), it doesn't come around so often. The last time it would've been well-placed was in the pre-digital imaging age (~1982-1990), when detail at Saturn's high latitudes would've been pretty hard to capture even for major observatories. Before Voyager, it would have been before about 1960 that it was possible to see it, and I guess resolving the hexagonal characteristic it was beyond the technology and observing skill of that era. It may not be permanent, but I suspect it has been around for longer than we've been able to make it out. We're so privileged to be able to do what we can now.
@johnnydeep yes, that is Tethys and its shadow - visible on captures in all channels (red, green, blue) that morning which was pretty unusual for me.
@pferkul - that is really neat! I'm a fan of cross-eye 3-D effects, and that's very clever, if a little mind-bending.
Thanks for your responses!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

pferkul
Ensign

Post by pferkul » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:14 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:24 pm Your mama warned you about those crossed eyes. Keep doing that and they'll be stuck that way forever!
:lol2: Crossing your eyes on this image gives an effect, but it is inverted. You get the correct effect if you relax your eyes so that you are focusing on a point beyond your screen (imagine looking past your screen to a point outside the room). It is also much easier on the eyes than crossing them.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:18 pm

pferkul wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:14 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:24 pm Your mama warned you about those crossed eyes. Keep doing that and they'll be stuck that way forever!
:lol2: Crossing your eyes on this image gives an effect, but it is inverted. You get the correct effect if you relax your eyes so that you are focusing on a point beyond your screen (imagine looking past your screen to a point outside the room). It is also much easier on the eyes than crossing them.
I don't believe I was crossing them when I ended up able to see the 3D effect, but I still had difficulty reverting to normal vision.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:20 pm

pferkul wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:14 pm
The same advice goes for walleyed viewing. I can assure you that Marty Feldman failed to heed his mother!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com