APOD: Blue Supermoon Beyond Syracuse (2023 Sep 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Blue Supermoon Beyond Syracuse (2023 Sep 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:06 am

Image Blue Supermoon Beyond Syracuse

Explanation: The last full moon was doubly unusual. First of all, it was a blue moon. A modern definition of a blue moon is a second full moon to occur during one calendar month. Since there are 13 full moons in 2023, one month has to have two -- and that month was August. The first full moon was on August 1 and named a Sturgeon Moon. The second reason that the last full moon was unusual was because it was a supermoon. A modern definition of supermoon is a moon that reaches its full phase when it is relatively close to Earth -- and so appears a bit larger and brighter than average. Pictured, the blue supermoon of 2023 was imaged hovering far behind a historic castle and lighthouse in Syracuse, Sicily, Italy.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Re: APOD: Blue Supermoon Beyond Syracuse (2023 Sep 05)

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:05 am

These are among my favorite picture scape subjects. The ones that include a little bit of planet earth. I’m betting Ann the Color Commentator has a thing or two to say about the blue moon! I’m kinda partial to the moon myself! :D
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am

emc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:05 am These are among my favorite picture scape subjects. The ones that include a little bit of planet earth. I’m betting Ann the Color Commentator has a thing or two to say about the blue moon! I’m kinda partial to the moon myself! :D

Ah, sorry to disappoint you, emc! I wasn't even going to comment on this APOD!

Not because it is a bad Image. It is, on the contrary, a beautiful and suggestive image. The Moon looks enormous, as if it was really going to fall down on us. At the same time, it almost blends with the sky, as if it was translucent. As if it was a ginormous balloon.

And the markings on the Moon, the well-known marias, almost look man-made, as if we were looking at a slate floor:

a3654f5f3112a87a064e64a1d462c8df[1].jpg

So why didn't I plan to comment on this APOD?

Well, partly because it makes me sigh when people call the Moon blue, for whatever reason. But mostly, I normally don't comment on Moon images because of, well, the Moon. The Moon doesn't give me much of a kick. I'm not into astronomy for the sake of the Moon.

I guess my favorite Moon image is this one:

It's a picture that really puts the Earth and the Moon into perspective. You have to gasp when you see it. At least it makes me gasp a little.

Ann
Color Commentator

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:41 am

Ann wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am
It's a picture that really puts the Earth and the Moon into perspective. You have to gasp when you see it. At least it makes me gasp a little.

Ann
Here's a great video about the taking of that historic photo. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-vOscpiNc&t=12s[/youtube]

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:58 am

emc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:05 am These are among my favorite picture scape subjects. The ones that include a little bit of planet earth. I’m betting Ann the Color Commentator has a thing or two to say about the blue moon! I’m kinda partial to the moon myself! :D
Ah, sorry to disappoint you, emc! I wasn't even going to comment on this APOD!

Ann
Yep. I figured you would need a little kickstart to comment. :D
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:09 am

FLPhotoCatcher wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:41 am

Ann
Here's a great video about the taking of that historic photo. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-vOscpiNc&t=12s[/youtube]
Hi FLPhotoCatcher,
Thanks for sharing the video! “Calm down Lovell” :lol2:

Nice to meet you FLPhotoCatcher!
You never know where these SA threads are going to take you. “To the moon Alice!” Or was that owlice! :(
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

madtom1999
Ensign

Post by madtom1999 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:15 am

All a bit Death Star!

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:20 am

madtom1999 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:15 am All a bit Death Star!
Hi madtom1999,

I don’t understand your post. Can you please explain what you mean? I’m having trigger trouble with my bipolar disorder brain… I’ll explain, I have reason to think that you are part of a conspiracy. Maybe even a deadly one. It’s not your problem but I would appreciate it if you would help put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:03 pm

emc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:20 am
Hi madtom1999,

I don’t understand your post. Can you please explain what you mean? I’m having trigger trouble with my bipolar disorder brain… I’ll explain, I have reason to think that you are part of a conspiracy. Maybe even a deadly one. It’s not your problem but I would appreciate it if you would help put my mind at ease.

Thanks in advance!
I think madtom1999 is just saying that the APOD made our Moon look a bit like the "Death Star" of Star Wars.

So the Death Star was just a little thing made of plastic that was used by George Lucas in the Star Wars movie to represent something that can destroy entire planets. In reality, the Death Star was completely harmless!

The Death Star had a round depression on its surface where weapons presumably came out (I really don't remember). But the fun thing is that there is a moon, Mimas, one of Saturn's moons, that has a depression similar to the one on the Death Star. No wonder that Mimas is sometimes called the Death Star moon!

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:50 pm

And here I figured this APOD would be devoid of comments. <sigh> So, I guess I'll have to contribute by way of this most convincing depiction of The Lady in the Moon from one of the links:

And there's also the head of her little dog right behind her:

woman in the moon with her dog.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:13 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:03 pm
Hi madtom1999,

Thanks in advance!
I think madtom1999 is just saying that the APOD made our Moon look a bit like the "Death Star" of Star Wars.

So the Death Star was just a little thing made of plastic that was used by George Lucas in the Star Wars movie to represent something that can destroy entire planets. In reality, the Death Star was completely harmless!

The Death Star had a round depression on its surface where weapons presumably came out (I really don't remember). But the fun thing is that there is a moon, Mimas, one of Saturn's moons, that has a depression similar to the one on the Death Star. No wonder that Mimas is sometimes called the Death Star moon!

Ann
Thanks Ann the Color Commentator! More interesting than you an shake a stick at https://eds-art.net/water/ :mrgreen:
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:17 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:50 pm And here I figured this APOD would be devoid of comments. <sigh> So, I guess I'll have to contribute by way of this most convincing depiction of The Lady in the Moon from one of the links:

All this time I thought the man was alone.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

madtom1999
Ensign

Post by madtom1999 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm

Hi madtom1999,

Thanks in advance!
Sorry - didnt mean to trigger anyone! As explained it just looked very much like the Death Star in the Star Wars children's movies ( that may be triggering to some - live with it) . I am not part of a conspiracy unless you define trying to make earth a better place for humans to live on as one.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:37 pm

SuperBlueMoon_Saragozza_960.jpg
Blue moon in Syracuse Italy behind castle and lighthouse
StrawberryMoonRise_Busilacchi_1080.jpg
Strawberrt moon over Devils Saddle!
bullet_cat.jpg
Kitty hovering! :evil:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Christian G.
Science Officer

Post by Christian G. » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:21 pm

Hi madtom1999,

Thanks in advance!

Ann
And when you look at its temperature map Death Star turns into giant Pac-Man, I'd be careful not to get too close to Mimas!
(not a joke, real map!)
Attachments
Mimas.jpg

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:53 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:50 pm And here I figured this APOD would be devoid of comments. <sigh> So, I guess I'll have to contribute by way of this most convincing depiction of The Lady in the Moon from one of the links:

These days I sure can't look at the full Moon without seeing the Lady in the Moon! :D

And she has a dog with her? Guess I won't be looking out for her lunar dog. Now, if it had been a kitty.... :kitty:

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:16 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:37 pm Strawberry moon over Devils Saddle!
Wow, Orin, that's some moon rise! Amazing!!!! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:23 pm

madtom1999 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:41 pm
Hi madtom1999,

Thanks in advance!
Sorry - didnt mean to trigger anyone! As explained it just looked very much like the Death Star in the Star Wars children's movies ( that may be triggering to some - live with it) . I am not part of a conspiracy unless you define trying to make earth a better place for humans to live on as one.
Nope I’m just a common man with a common mental illness. And a weird hobby that helps me tremendously with my bipolar disorder. Sorry to upset you. Not your problem at all. But if you don’t mind me saying, it sounds like you have some problems of your own.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:26 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:37 pm SuperBlueMoon_Saragozza_960.jpg
Blue moon in Syracuse Italy behind castle and lighthouse
StrawberryMoonRise_Busilacchi_1080.jpg
Strawberrt moon over Devils Saddle!
bullet_cat.jpg
Kitty hovering! :evil:
You funny Orin!
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:40 pm

Thanks Ann for the pretty pac man image but poor blue is in trouble from hot yellow :D
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:52 pm

Chris Alex wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:21 pm
Hi madtom1999,

Thanks in advance!

Ann
And when you look at its temperature map Death Star turns into giant Pac-Man, I'd be careful not to get too close to Mimas!
(not a joke, real map!)
I think we're safe. Looks like that Pac-Man has already bitten off more than he can chew!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}