APOD: Dust and the Western Veil Nebula (2023 Oct 18)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Dust and the Western Veil Nebula (2023 Oct 18)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:07 am

Image Dust and the Western Veil Nebula

Explanation: It's so big it is easy to miss. The entire Veil Nebula spans six times the diameter of the full moon, but is so dim you need binoculars to see it. The nebula was created about 15,000 years ago when a star in the constellation of the Swan (Cygnus) exploded. The spectacular explosion would have appeared brighter than even Venus for a week - but there is no known record of it. Pictured is the western edge of the still-expanding gas cloud. Notable gas filaments include the Witch's Broom Nebula on the upper left near the bright foreground star 52 Cygni, and Fleming's Triangular Wisp (formerly known as Pickering's Triangle) running diagonally up the image middle. What is rarely imaged -- but seen in the featured long exposure across many color bands -- is the reflecting brown dust that runs vertically up the image left, dust likely created in the cool atmospheres of massive stars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Re: APOD: Dust and the Western Veil Nebula (2023 Oct 18)

Post by AVAO » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:41 am

APOD Robot wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:07 am Image Dust and the Western Veil Nebula

Explanation: It's so big it is easy to miss. The entire Veil Nebula spans six times the diameter of the full moon, but is so dim you need binoculars to see it. The nebula was created about 15,000 years ago when a star in the constellation of the Swan (Cygnus) exploded. The spectacular explosion would have appeared brighter than even Venus for a week - but there is no known record of it. Pictured is the western edge of the still-expanding gas cloud. Notable gas filaments include the Witch's Broom Nebula on the upper left near the bright foreground star 52 Cygni, and Fleming's Triangular Wisp (formerly known as Pickering's Triangle) running diagonally up the image middle. What is rarely imaged -- but seen in the featured long exposure across many color bands -- is the reflecting brown dust that runs vertically up the image left, dust likely created in the cool atmospheres of massive stars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Great Picture.

The whole SNR structure reminds me a lot of the internal structure of SNR CAS A.
I conclude that similar processes were probably at play here, even though in my opinion there are no good explanations for the sausage-like characteristics of the structures...

bigggger: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/532 ... 6ddb_o.jpg
composit / jac berne (flickr)

Original Image: NASA/ESA/CSA SST

Knight of Clear Skies
Ensign

Post by Knight of Clear Skies » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:31 am

The witch's broom appears to be a functional space broom, it's sweeping dust away from the centre of the Veil.
Caradon Observatory, Cornwall, UK.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:32 am

Profile of Bab5's G'kar?

Avent

Post by Avent » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:08 am

I must say. This one has a striking resemblance to the dragon in the Teen Titans Go episodes, The Light Begins to Shine.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:26 am

The Veil Nebula turns me off! I don't like nebulas that look as if they have escaped out of a horror movie!

Eastern Veil Nebula annotated AstroFarsography.png
The horrible grin of the eastern Veil Nebula.

It should be illegal for a nebula to look like that! Go back to your horror movie (or Batman movie?), Eastern Veil Nebula!

Anyway. I like this image that puts the Veil Nebula in its place:

Veil Nebula in Cygnus arrowed Kodama.png
The Veil Nebula in Cygnus. Credit: Kodama.

Ann
Color Commentator

Einar

Post by Einar » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:27 am

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:32 amProfile of Bab5's G'kar?
100 %

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:15 pm

For the orientation challenged, like me:

veil nebula views.jpg
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:10 pm

WesternVeil_Wu_960.jpg
When stars die; they leave such specular
remnants! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!