APOD: Jupiter Diving (2024 May 19)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Jupiter Diving (2024 May 19)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun May 19, 2024 4:07 am

Image Jupiter Diving

Explanation: Take this simulated plunge and dive into the upper atmosphere of Jupiter, the Solar System's ruling gas giant. The awesome animation is based on image data from JunoCam, and the microwave radiometer on board the Jupiter-orbiting Juno spacecraft. Your view will start about 3,000 kilometers above the southern Jovian cloud tops, and you can track your progress on the display at the left. As altitude decreases, temperature increases while you dive deeper at the location of Jupiter's famous Great Red Spot. In fact, Juno data indicates the Great Red Spot, the Solar System's largest storm system, penetrates some 300 kilometers into the giant planet's atmosphere. For comparison, the deepest point for planet Earth's oceans is just under 11 kilometers down. Don't worry though, you'll fly back out again.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Jupiter Diving (2024 May 19)

Post by Ann » Sun May 19, 2024 6:40 am

There is, if you ask me, too much of a good thing, or, in this case, too close of a closeup.

At least for me, a poor amateur who likes Jupiter but is not a true Solar system aficionada.

Let me offer this piece from the APOD as evidence for your consideration:

APOD 19 May 2024 still from video.png

That, ladies and gents, appears to be what Jupiter looks like the moment before Juno dives into the Great Red Spot. If Juno ever did take such a plunge, that is. Can't remember.

As you can see, this particular part of Jupiter appears to be blue. That's actually not as crazy as it sounds, because there are little parts of the Jupiter cloudtops that are blue or bluish gray. These places are, I believe, actual breaks in the cloud cover, so that we see, well, "blue sky" below. Consider the pictures of Jupiter below and note little patches of grayish blue:

The bluest parts of Jupiter are the bluish festoons, which are seen emerging from the north equatorial belt and protruding into the white equatorial zone. I don't remember seeing a lot of blue near the Great Red Spot, however. Consider these tips on how to draw Jupiter:

So what are we seeing in today's video? Yes, I know what we are seeing. I'm just having trouble to "see" what we are seeing.

P.S: What's this?

Still from Minority Report.png

Oh, that's a cropped and heavily blown-up still from the movie Minority Report (at 0.55). Couldn't you see that?

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

Ann
Color Commentator

florid_snow
Ensign

Post by florid_snow » Sun May 19, 2024 1:55 pm

Haha I agree it might be a little too close up. I used to do Jupiter sketching when I had access to an 8" refractor, always in black and white though, never attempted color. Sketching really adds to the observing experience, I think. Remember that blue storm that blew up briefly on Saturn? I think that was more than 10 years ago. I wonder how long it will be until the next one.

Off topic but on topic, there was a bolide over Portugal and western Spain about 18 hours ago, Saturday evening their time, many videos were taken, very nice blue/green color.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sun May 19, 2024 2:40 pm

Too close of a closeup? Copyright said 2017 - I am sorry I have not seen this in the 28 years since then! My (slight) objection is the temperature scale is in Kelvins. Had to pick off max T at 525 K, subtract 273 gives 252 C, convert to 485 F to get a temperature I can relate to.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 19, 2024 2:50 pm

Roy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:40 pm Copyright said 2017 - I am sorry I have not seen this in the 28 years since then!
???
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Roy

Post by Roy » Sun May 19, 2024 4:27 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:50 pm
Roy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:40 pm Copyright said 2017 - I am sorry I have not seen this in the 28 years since then!
???
Yeah - meant to say 8 years. Probably age-related error. Hate it when that happens.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 19, 2024 5:58 pm

Nice, but I want my gargantuan tentacled buoyant Jovian alien gas bag "jellyfish"!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Sun May 19, 2024 7:53 pm

Ann wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:40 am [...]
The bluest parts of Jupiter are the bluish festoons, which are seen emerging from the north equatorial belt and protruding into the white equatorial zone. I don't remember seeing a lot of blue near the Great Red Spot, however. Consider these tips on how to draw Jupiter:
[...]

Ann

Well. I think it's also exciting to look beneath Jupiter's surface in IR.
The spatial 3D effect is unmistakable.

Original pictures: left: Cassini 2020 NASA, ESA
Original picture: right: Judy Schmidt WEBB NASA, ESA, CSA, STScI

You just have to be careful that you don't get torn between the current and the countercurrent,-)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... educed.gif

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 pm

Roy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:27 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:50 pm
???
Yeah - meant to say 8 years. Probably age-related error. Hate it when that happens.
Oh well... I was hoping you had access to some kind of time machine.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun May 19, 2024 10:13 pm

I just re-read Clarke's 1971 short story A Meeting with Medusa about a dirigible pilot who ventures down into the upper levels of Jupiter's atmosphere (and discovers life there). Kind of like the APOD, but in slow motion.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 20, 2024 1:01 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:13 pm I just re-read Clarke's 1971 short story A Meeting with Medusa about a dirigible pilot who ventures down into the upper levels of Jupiter's atmosphere (and discovers life there). Kind of like the APOD, but in slow motion.
Nice. I'll have to go read it myself. For the first time!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}