Comet Holmes from Hubble Space Telescope (APOD 28 Nov 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:33 pm

It has also served to bring to light, the shear numbers of ignorant people that there are in the world. (and might serve to identify them) Evident in the Flat Earth Society, and Moon Landing Hoaxers

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:09 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:It has also served to bring to light, the shear numbers of ignorant people that there are in the world. (and might serve to identify them) Evident in the Flat Earth Society, and Moon Landing Hoaxers
Are you trying to say the earth isn't flat? :shock:

I suppose next you'll tell me that earth isn't the center of the universe. :x
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:14 pm

bystander wrote:I suppose next you'll tell me that earth isn't the center of the universe.
Of course, in a very real sense, the Earth likely is in the center of the Universe. It's just not unique in that respect.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Of course, in a very real sense, the Earth likely is in the center of the Universe. It's just not unique in that respect.
Yes, it would have to be the center of the observable universe since our observations are made from here.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:26 pm

bystander wrote:Yes, it would have to be the center of the observable universe since our observations are made from here.
That it's in the center of the observable Universe is self evident. It's likely in the center of the entire Universe, as well, since- in three dimensions- any point in the Universe can be considered the center.

But that's a discussion best handled in a different thread.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:... It's likely in the center of the entire Universe, as well, since- in three dimensions- any point in the Universe can be considered the center.
OK, Chris, I bite. I have to admit I appreciate your observations and explanations, sometimes I can even see where they're going before you get there. Most of the time they confirm what my limited expertise(?) has led me to believe. Now, I think I would like to see your explanation of how any point can be considered the center of a universe that has no center.
— Garrison Keillor

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:21 pm

bystander wrote:OK, Chris, I bite. I have to admit I appreciate your observations and explanations, sometimes I can even see where they're going before you get there. Most of the time they confirm what my limited expertise(?) has led me to believe. Now, I think I would like to see your explanation of how any point can be considered the center of a universe that has no center.
Any 2D point on the surface of a sphere can be considered the center of the 2D "plane" that is the surface. Similarly, any 3D point on the 3D "surface" of a 4D universe can be considered the center. This is the standard model of the Universe.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:12 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:Any 2D point on the surface of a sphere can be considered the center of the 2D "plane" that is the surface. Similarly, any 3D point on the 3D "surface" of a 4D universe can be considered the center. This is the standard model of the Universe.
Thanks, Chris! I had to not think about that for a while. While re-reading your post over coffee this morning, the picture snapped into view and I had to say "Well, DUHH!" :lol:
— Garrison Keillor