Stereo Sunday (APOD 10 Aug 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
pat-on-mars
Asternaut

Stereo Sunday (APOD 10 Aug 2008)

Post by pat-on-mars » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:08 am

Using my anaglyph glasses, I found the large format picture hard to look at. Maybe it's my tired old eyes. But the small picture that pops up when the main photo is clicked is a great stereo image. Thanks to the processors of the pictures. :)

Also - thanks for the memories.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:48 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080810.html

I took my glasses off and just wore the blue and red and it loked a lot better.

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Mousetrails
Asternaut

APOD of 8-10-08

Post by Mousetrails » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 am

Can someone please tell me where to purchase red/blue glasses?

Case
Commander

Re: APOD of 8-10-08

Post by Case » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:07 am

Mousetrails wrote:Can someone please tell me where to purchase red/blue glasses?
I have no idea where 'local' is for you, so try a Google search using the words: anaglyph glasses. The cardboard variant is quite affordable.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Mousetrails. Just in case you have not tried it, if you click on the 'red/blue glasses' in the explanation to the APOD it brings up a list of some suppliers of the glasses with a link to the website of each. The list may hopefully help you. :)

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:26 pm

If you hurry they were giving free Hanna Montanna 3D glasses out at your Super Center.

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 pm

The movie Spy Kids 3D comes with 4 pairs

pat-on-mars
Asternaut

Post by pat-on-mars » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 pm

orin stepanek wrote:If you hurry they were giving free Hanna Montanna 3D glasses out at your Super Center.

Orin
That would be the Walmart Super Center. Maybe other places too. They worked fine.

Some suppliers of anaglyph cardboard glasses will send out a sample pair for free.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 pm

I have always wondered when they will release some 3D glasses based on the ones you use at IMAX theaters. 3D at IMAX is sooo much better than the normal red/blue type of 3D like in this APOD.

When you take the glasses off at IMAX, you see a garbled mess on the screen, but when you put the glasses on, its a beautiful 3D environment. Couldn't they make images based on this technology? and then release glasses to see the 3D images with?

I'm not sure how the IMAX 3D works, but I wouldn't think that it would be hard to transfer that technology to images, or to television shows/movies. That would be the next BIG thing in 3D if they start using the IMAX version instead of the old old old old oooooooooold school red/blue.

Like Beowulf... that movie was tremendously awesome. The 3D rich and gorgeous.... but you need the IMAX 3D glasses to view the 3D version. Couldn't they release the 3D version on DVD and supply a cheap version of the glasses with it? Say a foldable cardboard kind like the anaglyph, but able to decipher the newer 3D technology IMAX uses.

Unless their glasses have something within them that decodes the garbled pixels on the moviescreen and makes it appear all nice and 3D to your eyes. =)

Case
Commander

Post by Case » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 am

Arramon wrote:I have always wondered when they will release some 3D glasses based on the ones you use at IMAX theaters. [...] Unless their glasses have something within them that decodes the garbled pixels on the moviescreen and makes it appear all nice and 3D to your eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTH2zIKwC0
As that works with polarized light and double projectors, regular monitors wouldn't cut it. The linked presentation isn't as detailed as I would like to see, but I get from it that the tech requires quite a specialized setup.

SittingDownMan
Ensign

Post by SittingDownMan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Case wrote:
Arramon wrote:I have always wondered when they will release some 3D glasses based on the ones you use at IMAX theaters. [...] Unless their glasses have something within them that decodes the garbled pixels on the moviescreen and makes it appear all nice and 3D to your eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTH2zIKwC0
As that works with polarized light and double projectors, regular monitors wouldn't cut it. The linked presentation isn't as detailed as I would like to see, but I get from it that the tech requires quite a specialized setup.
A nice, simple starting point is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#IMAX_3D .
I'm not really impressed by the limited resolution. This late into the 21st Century,
we should be able to do far better than a mere 70 MP.
Or am I just spoiled?
....................................:) SDM.