CONCAM issues

The cosmos at our fingertips.
Emoticon Fury
Ensign

CONCAM issues

Post by Emoticon Fury » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:37 am

For about the past week now there have been several concams that wont show up for me. The canary island and south africa ones always seem to distorted to detect anything star like. The Rosemary Hill concam has been showing the same image for days now. Is anyone else having these problems?

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:02 pm

EF,

Everyone with a browser can see when a Night Sky Live CONtinuous CAMera (CONCAM) goes off the air. This is a very public project and along with the perks of getting public pictures and public domain data are the problems of seeing the sites when they don't always work. The NSL CONCAMs can go down for any number of reasons.

Rosemary Hill has been down since hurricaine season started in Florida and our local contact has yet to report back on it.

South Africa's computer went bad and we are discussing this with them daily trying to get a replacement. You can follow some of this discussion here: http://nightskylive.net/asterisk/viewtopic.php?t=23

The Canary Island CONCAM is working.

I am not sure why the Mauna Kea CONCAM went down last night but we will look into it. Sometimes there was an Internet outage or a software crash and the CONCAM comes up just fine the following night.

If you see that a CONCAM station is down for more than a single night, please feel free to report that in this very forum, hopefully in the thread already identified for that CONCAM location. We encourage this -- there are so many CONCAMs now that we cannot watch all the CONCAMs all the time.

- RJN

Emoticon Fury
Ensign

Post by Emoticon Fury » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes the canary island one works but it always looks to grainy to pick out anything fake. Thanks again keep up the good work. I just liked the Rosemary Hill one because I can evaluate the seeing conditions before I go out.