Nova affecting earth

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Norman Robie
Asternaut

Nova affecting earth

Post by Norman Robie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:08 am

How far away would a star have to be to NOT affect earth when it went "nova"? Thanks.

starnut
Science Officer

Post by starnut » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:50 am

You mean "supernova", don't you? A "nova" is just a sudden brightening of a star, usually a white dwarf or a neutron star in a binary system, not a violent event like a supernova. As for the safe distance, I don't remember exactly, buty I think the supernova would have to be more than 200 light years to NOT affect us.
Fight ignorance!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:59 am

Hello all

Supa Nova has affected the earth some 200 million years ago or so when our solar system went through a nebulae.

Other than that some supa nova have given night shows in the past.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:35 am

Here is a Space.com article on this particular subject, albeit a little old (December 2002). Current theory seems to suggest that the Earth would be safe from any supernova event occuring farther away than about 10 parsecs, or roughly 30 light years. At this point in time, there are no stars within about twice this distance that will go supernova for at least several million years, so it's not something we're too likely to need to worry about. :)

Now a beamed event, something like a hypernova or gamma-ray burst... that I'm not sure about. They tend to have a much longer reach. Estimates I've read hint at a dangerous range of a few thousand light years... if Earth happened to fall along the beam of the explosion.
Last edited by Qev on Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Doesn't it belong to this thread?

Norman Robie
Asternaut

nova affecting earth

Post by Norman Robie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:03 pm

Thank you all. I DO appreciate the info.

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:09 am

Hello Qev

I could not open the link above. But I ajusted the url to this

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/s ... 21216.html

Just incase someone wants to open it. It was refered to by Qev

quotes:
"Researchers have suggested that one or more mass extinctions during the past few hundred million years might have been triggered by supernovae, and that it might happen again."

"Separate research has shown that exposure to high-energy particles from space, over time, could cause genetic mutations."

I think planet earth is a lucky planet when all is said and done.
Sweet dreams

"Another worry are so-called hypernovae, which are related to mysterious gamma-ray bursts in deep space. Astronomers believe these are similar to supernovae but that a beam of concentrated energy, emanating along the star's axis of rotation, happens to be pointed at Earth."

"Though the new study did not look into the hypernovae hazard, Gehrels said it's likely for one aimed at Earth to occur once every couple of hundred million years somewhere in our galaxy, most of the time at a very large distance from our planet, however"

"Given that there are some 100 billion galaxies in that space, this rate translates into about one gamma ray burst from inside our galaxy beamed toward Earth every 200 million years. Because the energy is so concentrated compared to a normal supernova, hypernovae could potentially be harmful to life on Earth at much greater distances than supernovae"
Harry : Smile and live another day.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:24 am

Since an answer to original question has been accepted, I lock this in favour of this thread.