The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules (APOD 15 Nov 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
dduggan47
Ensign

The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules (APOD 15 Nov 2007)

Post by dduggan47 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:49 pm

First post here but I really liked this picture.

"... approaching the cluster core over 100 stars would be contained in a cube just 3 light-years on a side. For comparison, the closest star to the Sun is over 4 light-years away."

This brought two questions to mind. If our solar system (and therefore we) were near the center of that cluster:

1) What would the sky look like?

2) How would the nearby stellar environment affect our solar system? Would it be less likely to have formed?

[20071116 Edited for spelling.]
Last edited by dduggan47 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Welcome to tne forum!!!
To answer your first question, Imagine a sky with hundreds of stars, as bright as, or brighter than Venus. Add in the fact that these stars are in orbit around a gravitational barycenter which causes their postitions to move relative to each other over several years. (No discernable constellations EVER) Your star itself might even orbit within the cluster over the course of 30 or 60 years constantly changing your perspective of space.

Case
Commander

Re: The Great Globular Cluster in Hercules

Post by Case » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:20 pm

dduggan47 wrote:What would the sky look like?
Much more bright stars, but still dark at night.
dduggan47 wrote:How would the nearby stellar environment affect our solar system? Would it be less likely to have formed?
I suppose objects (planets) close to a star could still exist, but the outer objects (Kuiper Belt, Oort Cloud) might become balls in a giant pinball game.

tkmoore1958
Asternaut

What would the night sky look like?

Post by tkmoore1958 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:31 pm

Exactly what I've wondered. I wonder if someone has made a Java applet that could make a mini-planetarium of your computer screen, where your point of view is the center of a cluster?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: What would the night sky look like?

Post by bystander » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:43 pm

tkmoore1958 wrote:Exactly what I've wondered. I wonder if someone has made a Java applet that could make a mini-planetarium of your computer screen, where your point of view is the center of a cluster?
You might try A Star Cluster in Motion (APOD 20020730)
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Spectacular Night Sky

Post by NoelC » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:43 pm

I spent time wondering what the sky would look like in there too. I'd think it would be quite spectacular indeed. Now and again you'd no doubt see other stars get fairly close, too.

Another aspect is that globulars have a lot of very bright red and blue stars. So there would be a lot of color in those shifting, very bright points in the sky. Lastly, there are quite a lot of variable stars, so some would brighten and dim - possibly even visibly in real time. Talk about twinkling! Christmas lights every night in the sky.

Taking this further... Imagine hundreds of stars within reach via interstellar space travel. Depending on what you believe, you could even imagine getting in two-way contact with other civilizations.

As globular clusters are widely thought to be very, very old, it's possible civilizations might even have mounted expeditions to other worlds in pursuit of survival, as their star began to exhaust its fuel...

No doubt some great science fiction could be written about life in a globular cluster.

Surely makes me wish I were there.

-Noel

tom2688
Ensign

Post by tom2688 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:41 pm

amen to that, noel. ( your last line!)

hawkeye
Asternaut

Hercules center (APOD 15 Nov 2007)

Post by hawkeye » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 pm

it occurs to me that Hercules, and other star clusters are ball shaped and therefore the center would always appear to contain a heavier concentration of stars than the outer edges. can the density of stars always be "counted" well enough to varify that the center is indeed more heavily concentrated and not just the effect of looking through the thickest part of the ball.

Nancy D
Ensign

Post by Nancy D » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:52 am

I wonder if a planet could exist, in that "crowded space", with those just-right conditions that we have here: temperature range, protective magnetic field, an atmosphere that stays put and having the right proportions of gasses, abundant water, and whatever else I'm not listing.

And I also feel very curious about what that night sky would look like. Stunning, I'll bet.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:13 am

Can an N-body Solver Program be utilized to show this type of simulation with the vantage point being the barycenter looking out?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020730.html

dduggan47
Ensign

Post by dduggan47 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:38 am

Nancy D wrote:I wonder if a planet could exist, in that "crowded space", with those just-right conditions that we have here: temperature range, protective magnetic field, an atmosphere that stays put and having the right proportions of gasses, abundant water, and whatever else I'm not listing.
Yup, the "crowded space" is what I was wondering about too. Would a system like ours be pulled apart before it could even form?
Nancy D wrote:And I also feel very curious about what that night sky would look like. Stunning, I'll bet.
This, of course, is the key question. The science is interesting but I'd pay big bucks for the picture! :-)

[20071116 Edited because I can't type.]

Daburb
Asternaut

Hercules Globular Cluster APOD

Post by Daburb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Just joined because I have such a DRIVING question (those that I can't figure out and it DRIVES me crazy!). The Hercules Globular Cluster picture is pretty amazing. When I read the specifics, it said that it was taken at Mount Palomar. I've been to Mount Palomar MANY years ago (1978) and the light pollution was bad then, how do they take such detailed pictures with what is probably MUCH more light pollution now? Thanks in advance!

Geoff Warnock
In an emergency, you won't 'rise to the occasion'. You will default to your training.

NoelC
Creepy Spock

Post by NoelC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:31 pm

The image is actually from fairly old exposures.

The Palomar folks did a very high quality survey of the sky several decades ago, through blue, red, and infrared filters, onto photographic plates. This is called the POSS2 survey. Since then, the Space Telescope Science Institute has scanned these plates and made the data available online. This highly accurate data forms, among other things, the basis of the database used to aim the Hubble Space Telescope.

It's also, with suitable processing, a great source of beautiful deep sky imagery.

There was some light pollution in the exposures, in addition to some satellite trails, all of which I removed digitally when preparing this image.

-Noel

Daburb
Asternaut

Post by Daburb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Noel - thank you for the PROMPT and informative reply. I can go to work now and concentrate on my job. :)
In an emergency, you won't 'rise to the occasion'. You will default to your training.

Doum
A personalized rank.

Post by Doum » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:47 pm

[quote="Nancy D"]I wonder if a planet could exist, in that "crowded space", with those just-right conditions that we have here: temperature range, protective magnetic field, an atmosphere that stays put and having the right proportions of gasses, abundant water, and whatever else I'm not listing.

I think that with so many stars in a close range some of them had or will be a nova or a supernova and that it will kill all life in there. If not then yea, space exploration between star in there might be a lot easyer then here and the sky must be wonderfull to look at.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:50 pm

SF - life in a globular cluster.
Well, not quite, but Asimov did write 'Nightfall'.

As to what it might look like from inside a globular cluster, see: http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/common/image ... ar-800.jpg
Lots more lovely images there too!

Nightfall Spoiler Alert!

A story of a planet with multiple suns, whose orbit and rotation keeps at least one in the sky constantly. Except every few thousand years, when they all set at once. The resulting view of a starry sky has unexpected results for civilisation.

John