Most disappointing APOD ever (16 Nov 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Most disappointing APOD ever (16 Nov 2007)

Post by JohnD » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Today, 16th November 2007, the APOD is the most disappointing ever, real bathos.

A splendid starscape, with nebulae, stars large and small (to the eye) and luminous dust clouds. And across it a white streak, narrow, pointed, as dramatic a feature as you could wish for. It has to be a comet or ...... a space ship!

It's a satellite launcher, dumping fuel. Rocket cr*p. I feel as if someone drew a moustache on the Mona Lisa, or painted pants on the Elgin Marbles.

John

auroradude
Ensign

Post by auroradude » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:30 pm

It is indeed unfortunate to have such a nice exposure tainted by man-made debris. It is getting very common that long exposures have satellite trails in them. It used to be cool. Now its just a nusance.

As long as we have such a demand for all our communications, satellite TV and a need to predict weather accurately, amongst other things, we'll just have to put up with it.

BTW I wonder what will happen in the future to the geocynchonus orbital space. I just learned that there are only about 200 slots left out of approx. 3000. Highest bidder? Star wars?
Next stop... the twilight zone...

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:29 pm

auroradude wrote:(SNIP)
BTW I wonder what will happen in the future to the geocynchonus orbital space. I just learned that there are only about 200 slots left out of approx. 3000. Highest bidder? Star wars?
I think they will go to an even higher orbit much like electrons orbit in shells or Saturnian Rings.

William Roeder
Ensign

Post by William Roeder » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 pm

BMAONE23 wrote:
auroradude wrote:(SNIP)
I think they will go to an even higher orbit much like electrons orbit in shells or Saturnian Rings.
Higher or lower they aren't geosynchronous.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:20 pm

It's not that the background was tainted, it couldn't be, but that such a dramatic image as that white streak turned out to be so prosaic.
It looks so exciting! The design, an accident obviously but a seredipitous one, is excellent, the star-points, the bright and dim clouds and shapes, with that streak superimposed. It had to be significant. And it wasn't.

There are some things we are not meant to know - and I'd just rather not know!

John

PS Who/what is that a quote from?

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:16 am

auroradude wrote:BTW I wonder what will happen in the future to the geocynchonus orbital space. I just learned that there are only about 200 slots left out of approx. 3000. Highest bidder? Star wars?
Interesting...I hadn't heard that before. But offhand a couple of options are:

1.) Launch tugs to deorbit old satellites (spendy...might be able to piggy back the tug with the replacement satellite).

2.) Increasingly combine functions of multiple smaller satellites into larger satellites that only take up a single slot (also saves on launch costs but requires better planning and increased risk in the event of a failure).

3.) Improve positional accuracy to make the spots smaller so you've got room for more satellites (probably requires more fuel to maintain position, and better tracking).
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:21 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:1.) Launch tugs to deorbit old satellites (spendy...might be able to piggy back the tug with the replacement satellite).
Most geostationary satellites are operational. It is part of their mission design that when they reach the end of their service life, they are boosted into a slightly higher orbit, which frees up their slot for a new satellite. Tugs would only be needed for a satellite that had failed completely, which is rare.
3.) Improve positional accuracy to make the spots smaller so you've got room for more satellites (probably requires more fuel to maintain position, and better tracking).
The limitation isn't positional accuracy, but communications. You need to be able to aim a radio beam at one satellite without hitting the adjacent one. Put the satellites too close together, and you run into some very difficult to solve problems with interference.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

NoelC
Creepy Spock

I think it's neat

Post by NoelC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Well, I think the concept of capturing, photographically, a fairly rare sight is pretty cool. The photographer gets points in my book for being pointed in the right place at the right time.

Orion is breathtaking, and I don't think the "mustache" really detracts from that. Frankly it makes me think of the sense of scale. Such a small little bit of rocket fuel in front of such a huge, distant, huge, beautiful, huge nebula complex.

-Noel

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 pm

I definitely agree with NoelC. Catching that plume was a one in a billion shot at best, especially with such a nice background.

The disruption has come and gone, and you can easily take another picture of a constellation that will change barely perceptibly over the next thousand years, while it was a stroke of good fortune to get that fascinating testatment to human exploration on camera.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

auroradude
Ensign

Post by auroradude » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:16 am

Now that I have thought on it I must agree. It is a very lucky shot indeed!
Next stop... the twilight zone...

ta152h0
Schooled

i am sure

Post by ta152h0 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:56 am

I am sure more than one image was recorded and dispersal rate of material was measured. usefull scientific value. Or maybe the darn thing blew up and the people responsible are not telling us.
Wolf Kotenberg