Resolved: Bugs? Problems?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by geckzilla » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Oh, weird, the last time I looked, you were on 3.5.5 I think. Maybe I misread it. The logs are correct. Scratch that suggestion.

You seem to be narrowing it down to the most probable causes on your own. Since it's happening on both computers and the thing they have in common is Wildblue, that does sound like a possible cause. Are you using your cookie tool on both computers as well? You could also try using any other clean browser installation, even IE (perish the thought) and if it happens across browsers, it's going to make Wildblue look even more guilty.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:34 am

I must comment on something that has changed.

When i log in as a unreg , the list is not as it should be. after i click the Board index button (Discuss AAR) it all changes to last posts. as it should be. I have noticed this for 2 weeks. it is still the same now. I do not miss a trick. The forum loading has changed.
Always trying to find the answers

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:01 am

As usual, I can't figure out what you mean, mark. You're going to have to try explaining it more clearly.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:09 am

log in as guest, look at all the threads. then click apod discussions. watch them change ,, i see things posted months ago at the top of the list.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 am

Try scrolling to the bottom of the list and finding the display options. If it doesn't say "Display topics from previous [All Topics] Sort by [Post time] [Descending]" then you must have changed it some time ago as a guest and when you log out it still remembers it.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:31 am

I have changed nowt. Let me tell you, i know as much about pc,s as you do.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:38 am

Well, you are just as qualified to fix your problem as I am, then. There's no way for me to selectively cause guests to only be able to see old posts so you must have done something without realizing it.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:43 am

Dont say i did not try help you.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:49 am

If there is a widespread problem, I am sure someone else will mention it. I could not reproduce it with your instructions so I'm defaulting to PEBKAC.

TBIRD7777
Asternaut

Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by TBIRD7777 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Don't know if it's just me, but the APOD Search Feature just stopped returning any results from any type of Search about 48 Hrs ago, and I have yet to see a similar post from anyone. Interesting, must just be me.......TBIRD7777

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:14 pm

You're talking about the search on this page, right?
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/apod/apod_search

Yeah, it appears to be broken currently. I sent an email to Robert.

The Code
2+2=5

Post by The Code » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Folks

No registered users and 0 guests? (copy and pasted while, Logged in) . Why is this?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 pm

mark swain wrote:No registered users and 0 guests? (copy and pasted while, Logged in) . Why is this?
I'm not sure where you got that, but I can not duplicate the problem, if it even is a problem. If you are browsing a forum such as this one, you may be the only person doing so. Your counts above may then be accurate.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi guys;
I'm not quite sure if i'm doing this right, but i have 2 problems.

#1--my computer clock is 15 minutes off from what my time actually is.

#2--A post of mine disappeared. It was posted on the 2nd page of >in what nebula was our sun formed< on >wed may 19 2010< right after a post by dougettinger.
A non member i know has confirmed it disappeared as she had it up on her computer screen with another post i had done, when it disappeared right in front of her and she e-mailed me to let me know.
I am wondering if it was a computer glitch or if i violated a rule somehow and it got pulled, or some other reason. No one has contacred me as yet so i kinda assume that I'm not in trouble.

Thank you.

User name >beyond<
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

APOD: M87: Elliptical Galaxy with Jet (2010 May 20)

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Bystander --- If you see this, I've posted 2 problems in the Bugs and Problems forum and now i can add a third one---the PM does not seem to work right.

Thank you.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

In which nebula was our sun formed?

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Dougettinger; That was neufer's reply to a post i did right before his reply. Then, after you replied to his reply to my post, I replied to neufer's reply, right after your reply to his reply to my post.
This must have upset the computer because a while later my reply (which was sitting in the spot that THIS post is now in)to neufer disappeared. This was confirmed by a non member i know that had it up on her screen when it went.

So now i am trying to get hold of someone to find out what happened. I left a message in the BUGS and PROBLEMS forum, but seeing as how mine is only the 3rd post there, i don't know if it gets much attention. So perhaps this post will. Add to that that the PM does not seem to work and i am left with little in the way of contacting someone.

Well,maybe after a day or so someone of moderator level or higher will stumble across this and contact me.

THE END :!:

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: In which nebula was our sun formed?

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 20, 2010 4:35 pm

beyond wrote:This must have upset the computer because a while later my reply (which was sitting in the spot that THIS post is now in)to neufer disappeared.
Was that the post about a new type of man appearing 6000 years ago, etc, etc? It sounded like somebody on bad (or good) drugs, and it also was the sort of thing likely to be deleted by a moderator, since it was way outside the bounds of the forum rules. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's what happened.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks Chris.
Do you think i will be contacted about it to get a judgement on how far i missed the mark?
I also had listed steps for energy conversion from strings to molecules, which would have seemed to be alright because it would pertain to space as well as everything else.
As for drugs, i don't even drink coffee. Of course i do handle money and breath polluted air like every one else, but thats as far as it goes.

So thanks for the input Chris. I'll just have to wait and see if i get contacted.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 pm

1) Reset your computer clock
2) Check your PMs

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu May 20, 2010 8:56 pm

beyond wrote:So thanks for the input Chris. I'll just have to wait and see if i get contacted.
I don't even know for sure that's what happened. Anybody who posts reasonably might get an occasional flier deleted without invoking any particular moderator wrath, or without getting any warning. It's the folks who post nothing but non-scientific stuff that find themselves in trouble.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Ah, ok - thanks again Chris.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 11:01 pm

hey guys;
Either i have something wierd going on with my eyes - or there's something wrong with this computer. My last three posts on this page are all #35, and if this one also comes out #35 that will make 4 # 35's on this page alone. I don't know how to tell moderators, as the PM has'nt yet worked for me, so i guess I'll have to wait for them to notice it.
OH - well.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Wait a minute--------NOW they have all changed to #36. That means that when i post this one they will all change to #37. Gadzooks :!:

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Well, i see my ignorance of things has shown through again. Some how it slipped my mind that thats normal to keep track of how many posts one has.

One of these days i just may get used to computers --- Not like them - just get used to them. Maybe :?:

eclipsechasers2
Asternaut

Post by eclipsechasers2 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:28 am

I was unable to view last week's movie (night in Ecuador) in Internet Explorer on 3 different computers (IE7/XP Home, IE7/XP Pro, IE8/Windows7) on 2 different ISPs. There was no problem using other browsers (but at work that choice is restricted). I reported the problem, and a potential solution (adding type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="whatever.the.url.of.the.movie.was" to object tag), which seemed to work for IE without adversely affecting other browsers. He replied that he was able to view the video in IE7 without difficulty, and suggested that I report my problem here to see if others are similarly affected. So I am doing so. Obviously, the problem, whatever it is, is not stopping me from getting my daily fix, but, if it could happen without the initial disappointment ...