Post by declareself » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 am

These missions caused us trillions of dollars

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Voyager I and II

Post by neufer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm

declareself wrote:
  • Unnecessary wars cost trillions of dollars.
    Spacecraft mission costs are more like a billion dollars.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-war-anniversary/iraq-war-costs-u-s-more-than-2-trillion-study-idUSBRE92D0PG20130314 wrote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - <<The U.S. war in Iraq has cost $1.7 trillion with an additional $490 billion in benefits owed to war veterans, expenses that could grow to more than $6 trillion over the next four decades counting interest, a study released on Thursday said. >>
https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/did-you-know/ wrote:
<<The total cost of the Voyager mission from May 1972 through the Neptune encounter (including launch vehicles, radioactive power source (RTGs), and DSN tracking support) is 865 million dollars. At first, this may sound very expensive, but the fantastic returns are a bargain when we place the costs in the proper perspective. It is important to realize that:
  • on a per-capita basis, this is only 8 cents per U.S. resident per year, or roughly half the cost of one candy bar each year since project inception. the entire cost of Voyager is a fraction of the daily interest on the U.S. national debt.

A total of 11,000 workyears was devoted to the Voyager project through the Neptune encounter. This is equivalent to one-third the amount of effort estimated to complete the great pyramid at Giza to King Cheops.
A total of five trillion bits of scientific data had been returned to Earth by both Voyager spacecraft at the completion of the Neptune encounter. This represents enough bits to fill more than seven thousand music CDs.

The sensitivity of our deep-space tracking antennas located around the world is truly amazing. The antennas must capture Voyager information from a signal so weak that the power striking the antenna is only 10-16 watts. A modern-day electronic digital watch operates at a power level 20 billion times greater than this feeble level.>>
Art Neuendorffer

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:04 pm

declareself wrote:
Suppose we eliminate the purchase of weapons
Suppose we eliminate all the world´s army
Suppose we eliminate all kinds of wars
That would give an enormons quantity of
resources to invest in food and medicines
for millions of human beings. Indeed!

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 pm

saturno2 wrote:
declareself wrote:
Suppose we eliminate the purchase of weapons
Suppose we eliminate all the world´s army
Suppose we eliminate all kinds of wars
That would give an enormons quantity of
resources to invest in food and medicines
for millions of human beings. Indeed!
Beautiful thoughts saturno2.

I wonder if declareself’s incomplete comment was really a complaint about these missions’ costs. If so, it was over stated by a thousandfold or so, but he didn’t say “cost”, he said “caused”. Perhaps this is what he meant:

“These missions caused us trillions of dollars” of benefits in knowledge gained.

Bruce
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

BDanielMayfield
Don't bring me down
AKA: Bruce

Post by BDanielMayfield » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:25 pm

I do declare, it be time fo declareself ta declare what the heck hisself wuz ameanin ta say y’all :!:
"Happy are the peaceable ... "

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Voyager 1 Fires Up Thrusters After 37 Years

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:21 pm

NASA | JPL-Caltech | Voyager | 2017 Dec 01
If you tried to start a car that's been sitting in a garage for decades, you might not expect the engine to respond. But a set of thrusters aboard the Voyager 1 spacecraft successfully fired up Wednesday after 37 years without use.

Voyager 1, NASA's farthest and fastest spacecraft, is the only human-made object in interstellar space, the environment between the stars. The spacecraft, which has been flying for 40 years, relies on small devices called thrusters to orient itself so it can communicate with Earth. These thrusters fire in tiny pulses, or "puffs," lasting mere milliseconds, to subtly rotate the spacecraft so that its antenna points at our planet. Now, the Voyager team is able to use a set of four backup thrusters, dormant since 1980. ...

Since 2014, engineers have noticed that the thrusters Voyager 1 has been using to orient the spacecraft, called "attitude control thrusters," have been degrading. Over time, the thrusters require more puffs to give off the same amount of energy. At 13 billion miles from Earth, there's no mechanic shop nearby to get a tune-up.

The Voyager team assembled a group of propulsion experts at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, to study the problem. Chris Jones, Robert Shotwell, Carl Guernsey and Todd Barber analyzed options and predicted how the spacecraft would respond in different scenarios. They agreed on an unusual solution: Try giving the job of orientation to a set of thrusters that had been asleep for 37 years. ...
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer

Re: Voyager 1 Fires Up Thrusters After 37 Years

Post by neufer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
bystander wrote:
NASA | JPL-Caltech | Voyager | 2017 Dec 01

If you tried to start a car that's been sitting in a garage for decades, you might not expect the engine to respond. But a set of thrusters aboard the Voyager 1 spacecraft successfully fired up Wednesday after 37 years without use.
Art Neuendorffer

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 am

The Condor is an emblematic bird of my zone
( the zone of the Andes).
The Condor is a large bird and is caracterized
by flying high, very high.
The Condor passes is an original melody de Perú
which is recorded on the golden disk of
spacecraft Voyager.
Now, thanks to this melody, the Condor flies so
high, flies in the interstellar space...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 am

saturno2 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 am
spacecraft Voyager.
You mean this beautiful song, don't you, Saturno? I agree, it deserves to fly to the stars!

I have enjoyed your posts here! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Ann wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:03 am
saturno2 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:00 am

spacecraft Voyager.
You mean this beautiful [Simon & Garfunkel] song, don't you, Saturno?
I agree, it deserves to fly to the stars!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_C%C3%B3ndor_Pasa_(song) wrote:
<<El Cóndor Pasa, Spanish for "The Condor Passes") is an orchestral musical piece from the zarzuela El Cóndor Pasa by the Peruvian composer Daniel Alomía Robles, written in 1913 and based on traditional Andean music, specifically folk music from Peru. In 2004, Peru declared this song as part of the national cultural heritage. This song is now considered the second national anthem of Peru.

Daniel Alomía Robles's "El Cóndor Pasa" was first performed publicly at the Teatro Mazzi in Lima in 1913. The song was originally a musical piece in the Peruvian zarzuela (musical play), El cóndor pasa. The piano arrangement of this play's most famous melody was legally registered on May 3, 1933 by The Edward B. Marks Music Corp. in the Library of Congress, under the number 9643. The zarzuela is written in prose and consists of one musical play and two acts.

In 1965, the American musician Paul Simon heard for the first time a version of the melody by the band Los Incas in a performance at the Théâtre de l'Est parisien in Paris in which both were participating. Simon became friendly with Los Incas band, later even touring with them and producing their first US-American album. He asked the band for permission to use the song in his production. The band's director and founding member Jorge Milchberg, who was collecting royalties for the song as co-author and arranger, responded erroneously that it was a traditional Peruvian composition. Milchberg told Simon he was registered as the arrangement's co-author and collected royalties.

In 1970, the Simon & Garfunkel duo covered the Los Incas version, adding some English lyrics which in turn added Paul Simon to the author credits under the song name "El Cóndor Pasa (If I Could)". The instrumental version by Los Incas was used as the base track. They included the song on the 1970 album Bridge Over Troubled Water. Simon & Garfunkel released their version as a single in the U.S., which reached #18 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart and #6 on the Easy Listening chart, in fall 1970. This cover achieved major international success and fame.

In late 1970, Daniel Alomía Robles' son Armando Robles Godoy, a Peruvian filmmaker, filed a successful copyright lawsuit against Paul Simon. The grounds for the lawsuit extended that the song had been composed by his father, who had copyrighted the song in the United States in 1933. Armando Robles Godoy said that he held no ill will towards Paul Simon for what he considered a "misunderstanding" and an "honest mistake". "It was an almost friendly court case because Paul Simon was very respectful of other cultures. It was not carelessness on his part," said Armando Robles Godoy. "He happened to hear the song in Paris from a vernacular group Los Incas. He liked it, he went to ask the band for permission and they gave him the wrong information. Jorge Milchberg told him it was a traditional folk song from the 18th century and not my father's composition. It was a court case without further complications.">>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for correcting me, Art. Indeed, the song is not by Paul Simon.

Ann
Color Commentator

saturno2
Commander

Post by saturno2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:04 am

Ann, thanks, thank you very much,
Neufer, thanks for your important explanation,
The melody the condor passes has 4.000 versions.
It has not an original letter, but it has 300
Letters, ( wikipedia)