global warming nursery rhyme contest.

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

global warming nursery rhyme contest.

Post by neufer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Who can come up with a global warming nursery rhyme?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/7440664/Government-rebuked-over-global-warming-nursery-rhyme-adverts.html wrote:
Government rebuked over global warming nursery rhyme adverts
Two nursery rhyme adverts commissioned by the Government to raise awareness of climate change have been banned for overstating the risks.
By Matthew Moore
Telegraph.co.uk: 9:25AM GMT 14 Mar 2010

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that the adverts – which were based on the children's poems Jack and Jill and Rub-A-Dub-Dub – made exaggerated claims about the threat to Britain from global warming.

In definitely asserting that climate change would cause flooding and drought the adverts went beyond mainstream scientific consensus, the watchdog said.

It noted that predictions about the potential global impact of global warming made by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) "involved uncertainties" that the adverts failed to reflect.

The two posters created on behalf of the Department of Energy and Climate Change juxtaposed adapted extracts from the nursery rhymes with prose warnings about the dangers of global warning.

One began:

“Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
There was none as extreme weather due to climate change had caused a drought.”

Beneath was written:

“Extreme weather conditions such as flooding, heat waves and storms will become more frequent and intense.”

The second advert read:

"Rub a dub dub, three men in a tub — a necessary course of action due to flash flooding caused by climate change.”

It was captioned: “Climate change is happening. Temperature and sea levels are rising. Extreme weather events such as storms, floods and heat waves will become more frequent and intense. If we carry on at this rate, life in 25 years could be very different.”

Upholding complaints from members of the public, the ASA said that in both instances the text accompanying the rhymes should have been couched in softer language.

The newspaper adverts were part of a controversial media campaign launched by the DECC last year which attracted a total of 939 complaints.

The watchdog found that the other elements of the campaign, including a television and cinema advert in which a father read his daughter a nightmarish bedtime story about a world blighted by climate change, did not breach its guidelines.

Ed Miliband, the Environment Secretary, said that that his department had been "comprehensively vindicated" by the ASA but promised to better reflect scientific uncertainty about global warming in future campaigns.>>
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: global warming nursery rhyme contest.

Post by bystander » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:22 pm

neufer wrote:Who can come up with a global warming nursery rhyme?
Is this one of those Citizen Science things? :?

neufer

Post by neufer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:04 pm

• Hickory Dickory Dock,
    The IPCC ran out the clock.
    The clock struck 21,
    And glaciers did run!
    Hickory Dickory Dock.
Art Neuendorffer

neufer

bastardi-vs-ekwurzel

Post by neufer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 am

Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:23 am

Some say its surfing, and some say its not

But this polar bear was riding his "yacht"

It was big and twas white and he sailed night and day

and thats how he ended up in hawaii

(The yacht being a massive chunk of ice broken off from the shelf)

and for those wasters, i know the ice would have melted before hawaii :P
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:25 am

Too many cooks spoil.... it for the rest of us by using to much of the earths natural resources.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?