The movement of Galaxies.

Ask questions, find resources, browse the virtual shelves.
wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

The movement of Galaxies.

Post by wonderboy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm

I don't know if this has been posed before or if anyone can help but I love astronomy, I love the beautiful pictures the mind boggling scenarios and the face that when you look at a galaxy, of which there are billions upon billions (i would imagine) that you are probably looking at (through default) millions of stars that have orbiting planets that contain life whether primitive or intelligent.

My question is, that with all the beautiful images available, how come there is no real time footage of a galaxy moving that can be found? im sure they move im sure i read that they do. surely there are galaxies far enough away that they can be observed moving clockwise or counter-clockwise? is this even possible, i.e are galaxies so big that their rate of movement looks sooooo slow? I dunno. I just want to see it.

Wonderboy!
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: The movement of Galaxies.

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:06 pm

wonderboy wrote:My question is, that with all the beautiful images available, how come there is no real time footage of a galaxy moving that can be found? im sure they move im sure i read that they do. surely there are galaxies far enough away that they can be observed moving clockwise or counter-clockwise? is this even possible, i.e are galaxies so big that their rate of movement looks sooooo slow? I dunno. I just want to see it.
A galaxy has a typical rotation period on the order of 100 million years. We've been observing them closely for about 100 years, and most of the high resolution imagery is from the last 50 years or less. So the problem is that they simply haven't moved enough in the time we've been observing to actually see any change.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks Chris.

I thought that would have been the answer. It's annoyed me for ages that. I bet its rotating really fast aswell, which makes it scary that its going to take it 100 million years to do one turn.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

Wayne
Ensign

Post by Wayne » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Do some simple mathematics. Galaxies rotate as a unit (thanks, dark matter halo), so we can get angular velocity just from the radius and the rotational period.

The Milky Way rotates once every 200 million years (give or take) and it's 50,000 light years in radius. This means a star on the outer edge travels 2.pi.r distance in 200 million years. Evaluating that gives us 315,000 light years as the distance travelled in 200 million years.

This means they travel 0.00157 light years in one year, or 1.5E10 kilometers per year or 100 AU per year. 100 AU is roughly from one edge of Kuiper Belt to the other.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks for that. it makes sense that something so big should look as if its moving so slow, even though its covering vast amounts of distance.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Wayne wrote:The Milky Way rotates once every 200 million years (give or take) and it's 50,000 light years in radius.

Pardon me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way

I always thought is was 100,000 light years across.

Mark
Always trying to find the answers

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

mark swain wrote:
Wayne wrote:The Milky Way rotates once every 200 million years (give or take) and it's 50,000 light years in radius.
In other words, you two agree?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Wayne
Ensign

Post by Wayne » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:47 pm

mark swain wrote: Pardon me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way

Mark
Sorry for laughing at you like I am now... But tell me how radius relates to diameter? ;)

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

This is quite funny haha

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Post by The Code » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm

You was meant to laugh. :wink:
But, I posted the Wikipedia. Full details.
However. I only just noticed my error.
mark swain wrote:I always thought is was 100,000 light years across.
Tut Tut.

Mark
Always trying to find the answers