gene and part of brain that make people gullible discovered

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

gene and part of brain that make people gullible discovered

Post by bystander » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Scientists discover gene and part of brain that make people gullible
Scientists have discovered the part of the brain that makes people gullible, it was claimed today. The findings could have massive implications for treating the growing number of people who fall wide-eyed for sensationalist media reports.

Professor Cristoph Morris, who led the research, said that a part of the brain called the inferior supra-credulus was unsually active in people with a tendency to believe horoscopes and papers invoking fancy brain scans. “This correlation is so strong that we can speculate about a causal link with a high degree of certainty,” he concluded.

Morris made his discovery using a brain-scanning technique called fluorescence magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), which can read people’s thoughts with an incredible degree of accuracy, just slightly better than chance. His results are published in the Journal of Evolutionary Psychoimagery.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: gene and part of brain that make people gullible discove

Post by owlice » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Told my kid he had to walk to school today; the look on his face told me he believed me. I'm signing him up for the vaccine post-haste!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue May 11, 2010 9:06 pm

I think people who believe horoscopes simply "doublethink" more than more sceptical people, hence increased activity of relevant brain areas. It is cool that they identified those areas.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm

makc wrote:I think people who believe horoscopes simply "doublethink" more than more sceptical people, hence increased activity of relevant brain areas. It is cool that they identified those areas.
Hey, makc! You might want to check out the post date of the article. (April 1st, 2010) :wink:

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue May 11, 2010 10:38 pm

so they did not? well, too bad for them. I mean, it could be cool if we knew where to put electrodes to implement doublethink <---> aristotle logic slider. could be really useful device.

and also, I am gullible a bit more than I thought :/

jacklap
Ensign

Post by jacklap » Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

bystander wrote:Scientists discover gene and part of brain that make people gullible
Professor Cristoph Morris, who led the research, said that a part of the brain called the inferior supra-credulus was unsually active in people with a tendency to believe horoscopes and papers invoking fancy brain scans. “This correlation is so strong that we can speculate about a causal link with a high degree of certainty,” he concluded.
Didn't Morris publish something in "Improbable Research"?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm

I think, but I'm not sure, the Morris cited is English humorist and satirist Chris Morris.