APOD: Prometheus Remastered (2010 Apr 05)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.

Do you like this APOD?

You may select 1 option

View results

APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Prometheus Remastered (2010 Apr 05)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 am

Image Prometheus Remastered

Explanation: What does Saturn's shepherd moon Prometheus really look like? The raw images from the robotic Cassini spacecraft's January flyby of the small moon showed tantalizing clues on grainy images, but now that the Cassini team has digitally remastered these images, many more details have come out. Pictured above, Prometheus more clearly shows its oblong shape as well as numerous craters over its 100-kilometer length. In the above image, the bright part of Prometheus is lit directly by the Sun, while much of the dark part is still discernible through sunlight first reflected off of Saturn. These new surface details, together with the moon's high reflectivity, can now help humanity better understand the history of Prometheus and Saturn's rings. Today, Cassini has a planned targeted flyby of Saturn's largest moon Titan, while on Wednesday, Cassini is scheduled to swoop to within 600 kilometers of Dione.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Slarty Bartfast

Re: APOD: Prometheus Remastered (2010 Apr 05)

Post by Slarty Bartfast » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:32 am

Paraphrasing; "This must be some new definition of 'digitally remastered' with which I am unfamiliar." :P

KAMRAMNA
Asternaut

Post by KAMRAMNA » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:59 pm

My answer to the question at the start of the explanation; it looks like an asteroid, a remastered asteroid that has assumed the duties of a shepard moon. I guess that slarty has equiptment that could do better, not.

jando35

Post by jando35 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Slarty Bartfast wrote:Paraphrasing; "This must be some new definition of 'digitally remastered' with which I am unfamiliar." :P
If your image is too dark to make out much detail - as with mine - copy it into Photoshop and 'digitally improve' it to show all the craters, lumps and bumps.

biddie67
Science Officer

Post by biddie67 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Again - distances and sizes of objects in space are so hard for me to get my mind around - that object, which looks like a closeup of a potato that has had a hard life, is some 100 kilometers long ....

What is the difference bewteen a moon and a shepard moon?

Nest
Asternaut

Post by Nest » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm

I wonder how these large objects formed. They are as old as the solar system, and should originate from the remnants of a super nova. But a nova can only form tiny pieces of dust of silicon, carbon and so on (I guess). How/when were they fused into a massive object? Can anyone recommend a textbook or website on this?

Best,

Mathias

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

biddie67 wrote:What is the difference bewteen a moon and a shepard moon?
A shepherd moon is one which plays a role in maintaining some other structure, such as a debris ring, through gravitational interaction.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Nest wrote:I wonder how these large objects formed. They are as old as the solar system, and should originate from the remnants of a super nova. But a nova can only form tiny pieces of dust of silicon, carbon and so on (I guess). How/when were they fused into a massive object? Can anyone recommend a textbook or website on this?
Presumably they formed just as the planets did: by accretion processes in the protoplanetary disc. As the gas giants (especially Jupiter) grew, they created radial zones where resonances prevented additional material from accumulating, and material already there was ejected. It isn't surprising that bodies of all sizes were present once the accretionary phase was over.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

spiral_72

Post by spiral_72 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:43 pm

What's up with the "digitally remastered" link??? It's past April Fool's Day!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 am

Fabulous, look forward to the Titan flyby and other shots over the next few days!

Wayne
Ensign

Post by Wayne » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 am

You shouldn't hotlink images from Something Awful. They tend to get very NSFW very quickly.