You may select 1 option

View results

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Re: 60 M.U.

Post by wonderboy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm

neufer wrote:
60moo wrote:Of course, Astronomy is not the exact parallel of Music.
But somehow, the Delcamp thread works in accommodating all types.

Moo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_universalis wrote:
<<Musica Universalis (lit. universal music, or music of the spheres) is an ancient philosophical concept that regards proportions in the movements of celestial bodies—the Sun, Moon, and planets—as a form of musica (the Medieval Latin name for music). This 'music' is not literally audible, but a harmonic and/or mathematical and/or religious concept. (In 2006, an experiment conducted by Greg Fox divided the orbital periods of the planets in half again and again until they were literally audible. The resultant piece was "Carmen of the Spheres".)

The Greek mathematician and astronomer Pythagoras is frequently credited with originating the concept, which stemmed from his semi-mystical, semi-mathematical philosophy and its associated system of numerology of Pythagoreanism. According to Johannes Kepler, the connection between geometry (and sacred geometry), cosmology, astrology, harmonics, and music is through musica universalis. At the time, the Sun, Moon, and planets were thought to revolve around Earth in their proper spheres. The most thorough and imaginative description of the concept can be found in Dante's Divine Comedy. The spheres were thought to be related by the whole-number ratios of pure musical intervals, creating musical harmony. Johannes Kepler used the concept of the music of the spheres in his Harmonice Mundi in 1619, relating astrology (especially the astrological aspects) and harmonics.

The three branches of the Medieval concept of musica were presented by Boethius in his book De Musica:
  • * Musica Universalis (sometimes referred to as musica mundana)
    * musica humana (the internal music of the human body)
    * musica instrumentalis (sounds made by singers and instrumentalists)>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_the_Spheres_%28The_Outer_Limits%29 wrote:
"Music of the Spheres" is an episode of The Outer Limits. It first aired on 9 May 1997, during the third season.
  • Opening narration: “For years we have searched for the answer to an eternal question, "Are we alone?" As yet, there has been no answer. Or perhaps the answer is only for those with the facility to hear it.”
Devon Taylor, a young physics student, picks up a strange signal during his work at a radio observatory. He believes that he can hear a pattern in it, but none of his older colleagues can hear it. Taylor’s younger sister, Joyce Taylor, plays the tape and enjoys the sound so much she plays it at a rave. When Devon finds her at the rave, everyone there is infected with skin deformities. All the teens are quarantined at a hospital, but when they are separated from the music on the tape they all experience severe pain and withdrawal symptoms. Devon and his superiors are left with no choice but to let the patients listen to the tape until they can figure out the rest of the transmitted message. They locate that the source of this message is from a distant world and is in fact artificial in origin which implies it was sent from a intelligent source. The military at this point declare that they must assume that they are under attack from this new threat and must proceed as such.

Devon is later reviewing photographs taken of stars at different periods in time and discovers that the star of the alien world went ultraviolet 40 years in the past and brings this information to his superiors and the military. They then realise that their sun is changing to this spectrum, heralded by increased solar activity and that the noise/music is being transmitted to change the life on earth so it can adapt to the new conditions, and that the alien transmission is in a sense a humanitarian effort. Once this is realised the richer governments of the world send up satellites to transmit the noise over the poorer countries and more remote areas of the world to help the transition to this new phase of existence. The final scene begins with Devon's father, still human, entering his daughter's room and she tells him that she is sorry that that she won't be able to look beautiful in her prom dress, as the camera pans up showing her to be completely covered in a golden metallic substance which can be assumed to be her skin; but he replies telling her she will always be beautiful. Devon enters the room also in his new skin and tells her that it is time and they precede to go outside with Joyce's boyfriend and they watch the new sun appear in the sky with their faces filled with hope.

[list]Closing narration: “It is said that Music is a universal bridge, crossing the barriers of culture, age, and language. Perhaps, eventually, we will learn that it also spans those of time... and space.”>>[/list]
[/b][/size]

Theres nothing in http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 23&t=18871 there regarding music, im going with that :P. What if the alien race has no ears? or the ability to feel musical vibrations etc?

I truly believe that we are not alone, i look at the hubble ultra deep field image and think that each of those galaxies must hold at least some form of life. it has to.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

makc
Commodore

Re: Is the Asterisk board intimidating?

Post by makc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

What if the alien race has no ears? or the ability to feel musical vibrations etc?
I think the ability to enjoy music is based on the same ability to assess correlations that makes our brain function possible. If they have similar ability to react to external stimuli and conditioning-based learning, they would have to enjoy some kind of rhythm, be it sounds or lights or whatever. You could turn beethoven into light show and try to impress them with that. OR, if you're with me on that generation issue, just play them something from demoscene.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Thu May 06, 2010 8:32 pm

I think sometimes it can be regarding some moderators. I'm a stubborn fool so could put up with bystanders messages but also a fool that listens, so I complied with the rules.

In this post http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... 23&t=19301, If i was the poster, i would have felt intimidated in this instance. Could it not have been said that the post was to be moved to open space where there are no rules.

Plus we want more people to join apod, not refer them to other forums :(

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 pm

Paul, there are still rules in Open Space, and among them is that this board does not support the discussion of discredited theories. There are appropriate places to discuss such ideas, but Asterisk is not among them.
RJN in [url=http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18054#p114611]Welcome and Rules[/url] wrote: 3. Posting Topics
First and foremost, this discussion forum focuses upon space and astronomy. Please stay within these areas when creating topics and participating in existing conversations. The Open Space: Discuss Anything section exists for general banter which falls outside space and astronomy -- and do note that the forum rules apply there as well. Scientific topics outside of space and astronomy are also welcome and may be posted in the Open Space: Discuss Anything section.

15. Alternative Theories and Conspiracy Theories
This board concentrates on the mainstream or consensus view of cosmology. Alternative theories and conspiracy theories are not discussed here. We may decide to allow limited discussion of these at some later date. For now, however, we ask that you take these discussions to other boards that allow such discussions, such as The BAUT Forum
If people want to discuss alternative theories, it's a kindness to direct them to forums which permit such discussions.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu May 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks, owlice!

I'm not sure why I feel I need to defend myself, but you did a good job. In addition to what you said, the post was made to Open Space, not moved there. It is my job as moderator to enforce the rules of this forum and to inform those in error of those rules. If that is intimidating, then so be it. There are reasons for the rules and everyone is subject to the same rules. For the most part, minor infractions are overlooked, but this was a serious infraction and had to be dealt with. The topic was locked and the rule violated was posted.
RJN in [url=http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18054#p114611]Welcome and Rules[/url] wrote:
Rules

Below are the rules for posting to The Asterisk* Bulletin Board. Most of these fall under the simple rule of “Be polite”. However, there are some specifics that need to be listed.

In most cases, the first violation will result in a public and/or private warning. Subsequent violations will earn you infraction points depending on the seriousness of the violation. Accumulating sufficient infraction points will result in a suspension and, beyond a certain level, a permanent ban.

That may sound harsh, but in reality these rules are pretty easy to follow. This board is based upon mutual respect for and by all posters. This is a community. Whether we agree on specifics or not, we’re all here because we’re interested in the Universe around us. Following these rules benefits everyone.

wonderboy
Commander

Post by wonderboy » Sun May 09, 2010 10:20 am

bystander wrote:Thanks, owlice!

I'm not sure why I feel I need to defend myself, but you did a good job. In addition to what you said, the post was made to Open Space, not moved there. It is my job as moderator to enforce the rules of this forum and to inform those in error of those rules. If that is intimidating, then so be it. There are reasons for the rules and everyone is subject to the same rules. For the most part, minor infractions are overlooked, but this was a serious infraction and had to be dealt with. The topic was locked and the rule violated was posted.
RJN in [url=http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18054#p114611]Welcome and Rules[/url] wrote:
Rules

Below are the rules for posting to The Asterisk* Bulletin Board. Most of these fall under the simple rule of “Be polite”. However, there are some specifics that need to be listed.

In most cases, the first violation will result in a public and/or private warning. Subsequent violations will earn you infraction points depending on the seriousness of the violation. Accumulating sufficient infraction points will result in a suspension and, beyond a certain level, a permanent ban.

That may sound harsh, but in reality these rules are pretty easy to follow. This board is based upon mutual respect for and by all posters. This is a community. Whether we agree on specifics or not, we’re all here because we’re interested in the Universe around us. Following these rules benefits everyone.

Fair enough, I just thought i'd stick up for a forum newbie, who maybe didn't understand the rules all to well. I like to think I've been treated kindly on here by you guys and i've probably done some serious stuff too which you have overlooked. I just felt it was a bit too "serious" for a first time offence. I know you need to nip it in the bud early like you did with me and rules are rules. So I have no more complaints.

Cheers guys.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 am

Of course its intimidating!! Anything that you are not used to doing is intimidating! Some things are more than others, some things are less than others, that is just the way it is.
Most people don't really give it a thought as they are looking for whats interesting to them and so they do not realize it - if at all - that there is some intimidation staring them in the face.
I guess its called -- "getting over it".
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sun May 16, 2010 3:21 am

beyond wrote:
Of course its intimidating!!
Of course it's intimidating!!
Art Neuendorffer

lenka
Ensign

Post by lenka » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:46 pm

If we specify posting comments as a reaction, we should search for a stimulus. Specific behavior which in this case is posting comments occurs when a person seeks to satisfy their needs. So the question is what needs can be satisfy and what needs cant by posting comments here? This could be the one key to active participation in Asterisk.

Otherwise people in general want to be right becouse they want to think well about themselves. In defence of their own ego, act so as not to expose themselves to the loss of good image, in their own eyes and in the eyes of other people, especially those who seem to be experts. It is easier to do things which we are familiar to, the task does not seem so difficult. Knowledge of the subject makes success (I mean good image of ourselves) more likely and in general people prefer to do things which they expect to end up positively (I mean it wont degrade their own image).

And there is one more thing it should be mention. Most people are guided by cognitive economy, they need quick simple solutions, life heuristics and infotainment. That could be also a reason that most of them spend their time on facebook, why so few people follow the discussion on Asterisk, so we wonder whether the asterisk intimidates people.

Motivational process couses the person's behaviour (I mean posting comments) to achieve specific, important for he or she states of things. Motivational process direct leads to desired outcomes. My main need is to be with people who seem to understand that you can look into the sky for a long time at different times of day and night and get the energy to life. Amateur astronomy replaced my spiritual life. I also want to improve my english level so I chose an international community instead of polish one :wink: