New Green energy concept

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

New Green energy concept

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:05 pm

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: New Green energy concepy

Post by bystander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:34 pm

And this tether is how long? (troposphere)? It sweeps how large a volume of space? I don't know, seems impractical.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 pm

they refer to the center of the arc radius to be 400M high about 1200' above the ground

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am

I had a better idea than this.

Whats the problem with solar power?

Its ugly.

Sooooo..... we hide the solar panels in places they won't be really noticed. For instance, lakes and the sea. Obviously it isn't going to solve the problem but it helps towards it.

So here is my plan. You put solar panels around 1 metre below the surface of lakes which are remote and not used by heavy boats etc. (I was wondering if the water would act as a lens and maybe increase the power of the light?) this gives energy, whilst not really destroying the natural beauty of the lake. This could also be done at sea using rigs surrounded by solar panels.

Yes? No?

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:10 pm

A few thoughts on that:
- water moves, and being denser than air the effects of its movement on large flat panels would be considerable
- almost all lakes near humans are used by humans who would not appreciate them being full of delicate solar panels
- the water would not act as a lens and would greatly reduce the effective solar radiation

Rob

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 pm

There's also the environmental impact of blocking large amounts of sunlight into the lake and the effect the panels would have on waterfowl (wading and diving birds especially) and other wildlife.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.