Moon Zoo

Research the universe. Expand humanity's knowledge.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Moon Zoo

Post by bystander » Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm

Moon Zoo

NASA Invites Public to Take Virtual Walk on Moon
More than 37 years after humans last walked on the moon, planetary scientists are inviting members of the public to return to the lunar surface as “virtual astronauts” to help answer important scientific questions.

No spacesuit or rocket ship is required -- all visitors need to do is go to the Moon Zoo and be among the first to see the lunar surface in unprecedented detail. New high-resolution images, taken by NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC), offer exciting clues to unveil or reveal the history of the moon and our solar system.

“We need Web users around the world to help us interpret these stunning new images of the lunar surface,” said Chris Lintott of Oxford University and chair of the Citizen Science Alliance. “If you only spend five minutes on the site counting craters you’ll be making a valuable contribution to science and, who knows, you might run across a Russian spacecraft.”

Scientists are particularly interested in knowing how many craters appear in a particular region of the moon in order to determine the age and depth of the lunar surface (regolith). Fresh craters left by recent impacts provide clues about the potential risks from meteor strikes on the moon and on Earth.

“We hope to address key questions about the impact bombardment history of the moon and discover sites of geological interest that have never been seen before,” said Katherine Joy of the Lunar and Planetary Institute and a Moon Zoo science team member.

NASA Lunar Science Institute (NLSI) scientists are contributing to the Moon Zoo efforts by providing science expertise. NLSI is also providing educational content and supporting outreach goals of the project.

“The NASA Lunar Science Institute is very excited to be involved with Moon Zoo and support lunar citizen science,” said David Morrison, NLSI director. “Science and public outreach are cornerstones of our Institute; Moon Zoo will contribute to the accomplishment of important science, while being a major step forward in participatory exploration.”

The Moon Zoo Web site is a citizen science project developed by the Citizen Science Alliance, a group of research organizations and museums, and builds on the team's success with Galaxy Zoo, which has involved more than 250,000 people in astronomical research.

“The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Project Science Office is excited to see LRO data being used for citizen science projects,” said Rich Vondrak, LRO project scientist from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. “The Moon Zoo project provides an opportunity for everyone to participate in analysis of images from the LRO Camera and to make a significant contribution to scientific knowledge about the moon.”

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Re: Moon Zoo

Post by wonderboy » Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

This is a brilliant thing.

I've been doing it non stop since i found out about moon zoo. AMAZING.

Its not the dotting craters that gets me, its the vorweep factor. I want to move onto the next picture to see if I can see anything wierd.

You need time and patience, Luckily I have both :)

Cheers

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

JeanTate
Ad Astra

For Moon lovers: the Moon Zoo

Post by JeanTate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Moon Zoo is a Zooniverse project, a spin-off of the original Galaxy Zoo.

It is a Citizen Science project: "with your help, we hope to study the lunar surface in unprecedented detail. Thanks to the help of the Moon Zoo community we have already visually classified 1,074,753 images from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). Read more about the LRO and Moon Zoo or learn how to take part."

Among other things, members of Moon Zoo have been researching crater chains, moon bridges, deep-seated fractures (and TLPs!), boulder tracks, and more.