Copyright question

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
wouldbeauthor
Asternaut

Copyright question

Post by wouldbeauthor » Sat May 15, 2010 3:18 pm

I am writing a fictional book about Mercury. Is there a way to request usage of an APOD image for the cover? :?: :)

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Copyright question

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 15, 2010 3:34 pm

wouldbeauthor wrote:I am writing a fictional book about Mercury. Is there a way to request usage of an APOD image for the cover? :?: :)
Each image has a link of some sort to the author of that image. Find the image you want, and contact that author for permission.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

wouldbeauthor
Asternaut

Post by wouldbeauthor » Sat May 15, 2010 4:29 pm

The image in question has several such links, with NASA being the first.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat May 15, 2010 4:38 pm

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat May 15, 2010 5:59 pm

wouldbeauthor wrote:The image in question has several such links, with NASA being the first.
Government scientific organizations are generally delighted for you to use their images
but you should check first on how they wish to be credited.
Art Neuendorffer

wouldbeauthor
Asternaut

Post by wouldbeauthor » Sat May 15, 2010 7:24 pm

neufer wrote:
wouldbeauthor wrote:The image in question has several such links, with NASA being the first.
Government scientific organizations are generally delighted for you to use their images
but you should check first on how they wish to be credited.
I think I have to search elsewhere, as there are four links, besides NASA, beneath the image I had in mind.

Thanks to all who responded.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat May 15, 2010 7:28 pm

wouldbeauthor wrote:I think I have to search elsewhere, as there are four links, besides NASA, beneath the image I had in mind.
Which image? Post the link and I'm sure somebody here can direct you to the copyright holder.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

wouldbeauthor
Asternaut

Post by wouldbeauthor » Sat May 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
wouldbeauthor wrote:I think I have to search elsewhere, as there are four links, besides NASA, beneath the image I had in mind.
Which image? Post the link and I'm sure somebody here can direct you to the copyright holder.
Here is the link:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap090504.html

Any help would be appreciated. The links below the image seem to lead to several places.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat May 15, 2010 11:37 pm

As with NASA, I don't think there would be a problem with John Hopkins University, Arizona State University or The Carnegie Institution. I don't know about Science Magazine or the American Association for the Advancement of Science. However, according to wikipedia, the picture is in the public domain. You should probably give the same credits as on the APOD page.

The same image is here at the JHU/APL MESSENGER site. For information regarding the use of MESSENGER images, see the image use policy.

wouldbeauthor
Asternaut

Post by wouldbeauthor » Sat May 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Thank you!

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Sun May 16, 2010 2:15 pm

wouldbeauthor,

First, I should say that I am not a lawyer and my opinions are only opinions.

Next, please see the APOD FAQ on this question here: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap_faq.html.

Given that, permission to reproduce a copyrighted image can only be given by the copyright owner and by nobody else. Nothing we say here can give you permission to use a copyright image. The burden, unfortunately, is on you to find the copyright owner before you use the image. The information you receive on APOD and here (on the Asterisk) is only advisory and may help you, in good faith, find the copyright owner, if any.

Given than, in general, images on APOD that do not list a copyright are typically released for general use without the need for explicit permissions. Those images on APOD that list a copyright are generally NOT for general use and DO need explicit permission of the copyright owner for further use.

Specifically, in this case, it appears, as noted above, that Johns Hopkins University holds copyright on the image and one should follow the information listed (and linked above), on their image use page.

I am sorry for all these details. Besides that, good luck with your book!

- RJN