APOD Editor to Speak at AstroFest Penn State on 2010 July 9

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

APOD Editor to Speak at AstroFest Penn State on 2010 July 9

Post by RJN » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 pm

I now plan to speak at AstroFest at Penn State University in central Pennsylvania on Friday, July 9. I have been asked to give three 30 minutes talks. As usual, I plan to review some of the best APODs ever (in my opinion), tell stories about them, present some of the best and most newsworthy APODs from the past year or so, and then answer questions.

My understanding is that AstroFest is quite an event, and there will be many interesting things to see and do including planetarium shows, kids activities, rocket launching, rooftop telescope observing, as well as somehow having the chance to make your own comet. AstroFest runs over several days, but I will only be there on Friday, July 9. The general link to AstroFest at Penn State is here: http://www.astro.psu.edu/astrofest/index.html .

Furthermore, AstroFest is held concurrently with the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts with lots of non-spacey things to see and do there as well. The general link to that is here: http://www.arts-festival.com/ .

- RJN

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Re: APOD Editor to Speak at AstroFest Penn State on 2010 Jul

Post by RJN » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Update: I have now been informed that my talks will be 30 minutes each and occur at 9 pm, 10 pm, and 11 pm. As indicated, these will be on Friday night, July 9. The exact location at Penn State U. I am still unsure of, but I would bet that if one goes to the main Penn State campus and looks for signs and/or asks someone, it would be easy to find out where AstroFest is in general. Once at AstroFest, people there should know the locations of my talks and all of the fun AstroFest talks and activities. I would advise getting there early -- before 8:30 pm -- to scope out and plan which AstroFest activities you might attend.
. - RJN

lems1802
Asternaut

Post by lems1802 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Starshippers abroad will have a chance to attend by web casting?
Cheers

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:29 pm

lems1802 wrote:Starshippers abroad will have a chance to attend by web casting?
Cheers
Well, no. Sorry. I may upload my powerpoint slides to this thread in the future, though. - RJN

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:13 pm

AstroFest
Penn State Astronomy & Astrophysics

Davey Lab is centrally located on campus and is across from the HUB. Parking is available in the parking lot behind Davey Lab, in the campus parking decks highlighted on the map, and downtown State College. Busing is also available by the Centre Area Transportation Authority.

Facebook | AstroFest | Photo Album | Directions

RJN
Baffled Boffin

Post by RJN » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks, bystander! I was just emailed that my 30-minute presentations will all be in Room 541 Davey Lab.

I have confidence that this is a nice room and not a bathroom or a Star Wars like trash-compactor room. But in either case I would persevere anyway, possibly with brief intermissions when the underwater slime monster gets me and then spits me out.

- RJN

lems1802
Asternaut

Post by lems1802 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:07 pm

RJN wrote:
lems1802 wrote:Starshippers abroad will have a chance to attend by web casting?
Cheers
Well, no. Sorry. I may upload my powerpoint slides to this thread in the future, though. - RJN
Great! This would be the best option beyond to attend personally or by webcasting. Thanks RJN
Cheers from Brazil!
Paulo

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:11 pm

RJN wrote:Thanks, bystander! I was just emailed that my 30-minute presentations will all be in Room 541 Davey Lab.
No problem. It's amazing what you can find on the internet these days. :wink:

Good luck, wish I could attend.