APOD: The Dark Tower in Scorpius (2010 Jun 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: The Dark Tower in Scorpius (2010 Jun 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:05 am

Image The Dark Tower in Scorpius

Explanation: In silhouette against a crowded star field toward the constellation Scorpius, this dusty cosmic cloud evokes for some the image of an ominous dark tower. In fact, clumps of dust and molecular gas collapsing to form stars may well lurk within the dark nebula, a structure that spans almost 40 light-years across the gorgeous telescopic view. Known as a cometary globule, the swept-back cloud, extending from the lower left to the head (top of the tower) right and above center, is shaped by intense ultraviolet radiation from the OB association of very hot stars in NGC 6231, off the left edge of the scene. That energetic ultraviolet light also powers the globule's bordering reddish glow of hydrogen gas. Hot stars embedded in the dust can be seen as bluish reflection nebulae. This dark tower, NGC 6231, and associated nebulae are about 5,000 light-years away.

<< Previous APODDiscuss Any APOD Next APOD >>
[/b]

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: The Dark Tower in Scorpius (2010 Jun 24)

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 am

I have loved this object ever since I first saw David Malin's brilliant photograph of it in his book, "A View of the Universe", from 1995. Malin's image is gleamingly clear and detailed. It reveals successive delicate layers of dark dust and red emission nebulosity surrounding the Dark Tower's head. One little structure which is faintly seen at the extreme right of this Thomas V. Davis image even looked like a human profile seen in silhuette against a red background in David Malin's picture - it was like the Horsehead nebula, except that in this case the Horsehead was a human face!

Personally I was fascinated by the fact that the red emission nebulosity was concentrated at the very top of the tower-shaped nebula. I didn't realize back then that the red emission glow was caused by energetic ultraviolet light from the hot stars of cluster NGC 6231 hitting the topmost layers of the dark nebula and ionising the hydrogen there.

David Malin's image also clearly revealed four reflection nebulae in the dark tower: One light blue "bubble" at the top of the dark tower, one yellowish one near the "bubble", one intensely blue nebula farther down, and one small yellowish nebula below the bluest one. There were also many different-colored stars sprinkled in or in front of the dark nebula.

I have been unable to find David Malin's image of this nebula on the internet. For those lucky ones who own David Malin's book, the picture of the Dark Tower is on page 112!

David Malin didn't have a name for the nebula he had photographed, and he didn't provide his readers with the exact coordinates of it. He also didn't show a wide-angle image of the NGC 6231 region, which might have shown the exact location of the dark nebula in relation to the famous cluster. So for the longest time I was unable to find any additonal information about this dark nebula at all, or to find any other pictures of it.

So I was delighted when Robert Gendler made his own image of this object. Robert Gendler's image is here:

Robert Gendler's image is actually not quite as detailed as David Malin's but it does reveal many of the same features. In particular, you can very clearly see how the red emission nebulosity concentrates around the Dark Tower's head, where the ultraviolet light from NGC 6231 hits the dark neubla "head-on". Robert Gendler's image also shows all of David Malin's reflection nebulae: a yellowish one at far left hanging under the "nose" of the dark tower, the blue bubble being blown out of the "mouth" of it, the intesely blue reflection nebula below the "chin" of it, and a small yellowish nebula at the "collarbone" of it. Because the color balance of Gendler's image is really quite blue, his picture also reveals a diffuse blue reflection nebula below the "eyebrow" of the dark tower. But Gendler's picture also shows that there is no blue reflection nebulosity at the "back" of the dark tower, and here the dust looks very black.

Gendler's image suggests that there may actually be a "cluster" of young stars associated with the "head" of the dark tower. Many of these stars look blue in Gendler's picture, but since the color balance of his image appears to be a bit too blue, the stars that we see are probably mostly of spectral classes G, F and A.

Thomas V. Davis image is very much redder in overall color balance. It reveals far fewer details in the Dark Tower itself, but it brings out surrounding wisps of red emission nebulosity caused by the ultraviolet light of the NGC 6231 cluster.

Ann
Color Commentator

hstarbuck
Ensign

Post by hstarbuck » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:52 am

I like the link to "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" because it is largely the inspiration for Stephen King's Dark Tower series http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/--one of my favorite reads of all time. Spoiler alert (If you have not read the series stop here): I was just thinking that the ending of the saga reminds me of a "big crunch followed by new big bang" speculation/hypothesis (second part not really testable) of the fate of the universe.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 am

hstarbuck wrote:
I like the link to "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" because it is largely the inspiration for Stephen King's Dark Tower series http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/--one of my favorite reads of all time. Spoiler alert (If you have not read the series stop here): I was just thinking that the ending of the saga reminds me of a "big crunch followed by new big bang" speculation/hypothesis (second part not really testable) of the fate of the universe.
    • ____ King Lear Act 3, Scene 4
    EDGAR: Child Rowland to the dark tower came,
    . His word was still,--Fie, foh, and fum,
    . I smell the blood of a British man.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:56 pm

There they stood, ranged along the hillsides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

-- Robert Browning

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Interesting that to me it looks like the darkened area is clear spot into the red dust. :? Optical illusion I guess.
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

León
Science Officer
AKA: Levon

Post by León » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:26 pm

The image of David Malin, that Ann pointing with his commentary can be seen in
http://www.aao.gov.au/images/captions/aat072.html

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks a lot, Léon! But in Malin's book the picture looked a lot more impressive. Glossy paper and all that, I suppose...(plus the color balance was different...)

Ann
Color Commentator

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:31 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Interesting that to me it looks like the darkened area is clear spot into the red dust. :? Optical illusion I guess.

I agree, it does look like that. Plus David Malins photo (the one from leons post) is less clear, even although you have said that the paper would have had an effect on clarity Ann.

I just don't feel that theres a lot going on in this Apod, even though there probably is.

Paul.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark" Muhammad Ali, faster than the speed of light?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:38 pm

León wrote:The image of David Malin, that Ann pointing with his commentary can be seen in
http://www.aao.gov.au/images/captions/aat072.html
When I look a Leon's post; the black dust does indeed look like black dust. 8-) Thanks Leon! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 pm

wonderboy wrote:I just don't feel that theres a lot going on in this Apod, even though there probably is.
I'm with you on this one... I just think the region is fairly boring and not very photogenic.

I have Malin's book, and I remember how impressed I was with his images 15 years ago. Malin really pioneered aesthetic imaging using B&W emulsions with color filters (the same approach used now for high quality CCD images). But those photographic images have not fared well! Now that we have fine CCD images of the same regions, the limitations of photography are painfully obvious in Malin's images- low resolution, scatter in the emulsion, odd intensity transfer curves, strange colors. Modern technology allows any dedicated amateur imager to make better images now, and with much smaller optics.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:48 pm

bystander wrote:There they stood, ranged along the hillsides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

-- Robert Browning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childe_Rowland wrote:
<<"Childe Rowland" is a fairy tale said to be related to or inspired by a Scottish ballad. The story tells of how the four children of the Queen (by some accounts Guinevere), Childe Rowland, his two older brothers, and his sister, Burd Ellen, were playing ball near a church. Rowland kicked the ball over the church and Burd Ellen went to retrieve it, inadvertently circling the church "widdershins", or opposite the way of the sun [i.e., counterclockwise], and disappeared. Rowland went to Merlin to ask what became of his sister and was told that she was taken to the Dark Tower by the King of Elfland, and only the boldest knight in Christendom could retrieve her.

The eldest brother decided he would make the journey, and was told what to do by Merlin. He did not return, and the middle brother followed, only to meet the same fate. Finally Childe Rowland went forth, having been given his father's sword, which never struck in vain, for protection. Merlin gave him his orders: he must chop off the head of anyone in Elfland who speaks to him until he sees his sister, and he must not eat or drink anything while in that realm. Rowland obeyed the orders, dispatching a horseherd, a cowherd, and a henwife, who would not tell him where his sister was. The henwife would only say he had to circle a hill three times widdershins, and say each time "Open, door! open, door! And let me come in." Following the instructions, a door opened in the hill and Rowland entered a great hall, where sat Burd Ellen, under the spell of the King of Elfland. She told him he should not have entered Elfland, for misfortune befell all who did, including their brothers, who were prisoners in the Dark Tower, nearly dead.

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" painted by Thomas Moran in 1859.

Rowland, forgetting Merlin's words, was overcome with hunger and asked his sister for food. Unable to warn him, she complied. At the last moment, Merlin's words returned to Rowland and he threw down the food, upon which the King of Elfland burst into the hall. Rowland fought with the King, and with the aid of his father's sword beat him into submission. The King begged for mercy, and Rowland granted it, provided his siblings were released. They returned home together, and Burd Ellen never circled the church widdershins again.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Chris wrote about Malin's photographs:
strange colors
Glorious colors, if you ask me! The HST colors are almost always painfully inferior to Malin's! And the colors in the APOD, which, unlike Malin's, may have been produced with CCDs, aren't that impressive to me.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Ann wrote:Glorious colors, if you ask me! The HST colors are almost always painfully inferoir to Malin's! And the colors in the APOD, which, unlike Malin's, may have been produced with CCDs, aren't that impressive to me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I appreciate images which show emission colors that match what I see in the lab, which most HST "natural color" images do, and which many amateur CCD images do, as well. I also appreciate seeing star colors, which are mostly lost in Malin's images because of the nonlinear response curve of film emulsions and the need for single, long exposures as opposed to stacks.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Chris wrote:
I also appreciate seeing star colors, which are mostly lost in Malin's images
Well, I appreciate seeing star colors that match what I see in the telescope, which is something the HST people generally aren't very good at at all. That is why they may "paint" a galaxy blue even if its overall color is yellower than K0 giant Pollux.

The problem with today's APOD, in my opinion, is that the photo fails to bring out sufficient detail in the Dark Tower itself. I think Robert Gendler's image is doing a far superior job of that. Also, while it is interesting to see the surrounding red tendrils of emission nebulosity around the Dark Tower, it would have been a lot more interesting to see a wide-angle image centered on NGC 6231 to see where the Dark Tower fits into all of this. And indeed today's APOD linked to such an image, which I appreciated very much!

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:38 pm

Ann wrote:Well, I appreciate seeing star colors that match what I see in the telescope, which is something the HST people generally aren't very good at at all.
I don't really agree, but you need to consider the intent of the image. Very few HST images are of stars- the purpose of the images is to show the detail and color in deep sky objects, which don't show any color in a telescope. Stars are basically thermal sources, with a continuous spectrum. That is something almost impossible to catch with any instrument and then match to human vision. DSOs, however, usually contain strong emission sources. With careful filter selection and processing, these can be presented in a way that reasonably approximates what the eye would see if it were more sensitive. But the processing necessary to do this can easily distort the appearance of stars. I think most people are willing to lose accurate star color in exchange for accurate DSO colors.

The problem with Malin's images (as with all film images) is that the star colors are almost completely lost. That's a simple consequence of the way film works, being very nonlinear in its response, as well as having a low dynamic range. Malin was working with the best emulsions available, and did some excellent darkroom work in combining color layers, but he was still restricted by the limitations of film.
The problem with today's APOD, in my opinion, is that the photo fails to bring out sufficient detail in the Dark Tower itself. I think Robert Gendler's image is doing a far superior job at that.
I don't generally care for Gendler's images, but I agree that his image of this area is more aesthetic. Today's APOD is an excellent scientific image, showing the large scale structure of the area very well, but I wouldn't consider it a particularly aesthetic image. But neither would I consider that a "problem".
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Chris wrote:
I don't generally care for Gendler's images
I love his images.

Chris also wrote:
I'm with you on this one... I just think the region is fairly boring and not very photogenic.
Today's APOD is an excellent scientific image, showing the large scale structure of the area very well, but I wouldn't consider it a particularly aesthetic image. But neither would I consider that a "problem".
Chris, first you say that today's APOD is fairly boring, and then, when I try to explain why it is boring, you suddenly praise it and call it "an excellent scientific image".

As you have noted, Chris, I have strong opinions about star colors. You have strongly disagreed with me almost no matter what I have said about star colors and colors of galaxies. You have disagreed with me even when you should have realized that I was right and you were wrong. For example, you said that the HST people were right to make the Sombrero galaxy look blue, even though that galaxy is yellower than K0 star Pollux. Now you first say that today's APOD is boring, but when I say that there is a problem with the image you suddenly say that there is no problem. Isn't it a problem if the image is boring? And boring it is, if you yourself are to be believed.

So I just want to ask you, Chris: Are you at all willing to concede that I might ever be more correct than you about matters that have to do with colors in astronomy? Or is it a matter of principle with you that I must always be wrong?

Ann
Color Commentator

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Dangfraznabbit, I KNEW I should have popped popcorn and gotten out the lawn chairs!

(I was about to post this image to Asterisk, but then found it was today's APOD so didn't. I was scooped!)
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Owlice said "Dangfraznabbit" -- Pa-Leeze! This is an English only post. Most of us here do not speak colorful Owl :owl: even though it sounds nice :D
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Ann wrote:Chris, first you say that today's APOD is fairly boring, and then, when I try to explain why it is boring, you suddenly praise it and call it "an excellent scientific image".
All I mean by that is that some images that have good scientific value aren't particularly "pretty". Now just how pretty an image is clearly depends on individual taste. I'm saying that the image is showing a lot of interesting structure over a large area, and for that reason is scientifically useful. It isn't an image that makes me ooh and ahh, though. But like I said, I don't see that as a problem, just something related to the nature of the object. I'd probably find this particular image more aesthetic in B&W. Since the nebular region is almost entirely lit by Ha, the color data adds very little, and to me detracts somewhat from the structure, which I think is the most interesting aspect of this particular region.
So I just want to ask you, Chris: Are you at all willing to concede that I might ever be more correct than you about matters that have to do with colors in astronomy? Or is it a matter of principle with you that I must always be wrong?
I don't think you are wrong. I don't think it's a matter where a person can really be right or wrong. Instruments cannot accurately match the eye's response to color, display devices have different gamuts, and people see color differently. I will probably tend to disagree with your opinions about color more often than not, but you should not interpret that disagreement as me saying you are wrong.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory